My new cham!

Ladynyce

Hello everyone,
I have purchused another Chameleon yesterday afternoon. Now I have a Veild and a Meller! One issue since I got her, she hasn't ate nothing since I got her. I have bought over 3 dozen full size crickets for her as well has hornworms which are huge and wax worms as well! I set up her cage which Is a 18x18 and I set up her husbardy correctly since I have a next cham I know how the set up is suppose to be.

She has drank alot of water but that's about it. Shes about a foot long and her temp is at 85. I spend over $800 on her and the cage with lights food and everything else. She HATES to be handled and I never had a cham like a meller before on top of that its a girl!

PLEASE HELP, I WANT HER TO EAT.
she's a very big and healthy cham and I know by the size of her she eats a lot

Congrats on the new addition. Sometimes it takes a few days for chams to settle in. She's stressed due to being in a new environment. Give her a couple of days to adjust, try not to bother her with handling and keep offering the food. As long as she's drinking, she should be fine. Keep us posted. Good luck!

Melleri usually need lots of drinking water for the first several weeks after purchase. When acclimating mine, I use a fine mist for lengthy periods- sometimes they drink slowly for really long periods and I run the misters for up to several hours a day for the first few weeks! It is important to have lots of dry time every day too though.

Melleri are wonderful lizards, but not always very easy to acclimate.
My advice- take my advice about lengthy water periods under a fine mist (drip probably won't do for acclimation) and get a veterinarian involved in deparasitizing- take stool samples in, not necessarily the lizard.

They don't eat as much as you might guess by the size of the species. I limited mine somewhat to even things out too though- if allowed to eat all they want in a single meal, some gorge themselves and then fast for several days. Most of mine ate around 6-10 large insects (adult cricket size or superworm or lobster roach) per feeding.

They are semi-montane too- like cool but with a warm basking spot to use when they feel like basking.

Wondering how sex was determined- it is a little tricky.

Congrats on the new addition. Sometimes it takes a few days for chams to settle in. She's stressed due to being in a new environment. Give her a couple of days to adjust, try not to bother her with handling and keep offering the food. As long as she's drinking, she should be fine. Keep us posted. Good luck!
Thank you!
That's what I thought as well, I am gonna post a pic up of her she's beautiful but yes she drinks a lot! I am going to buy a real plant for her today the cage is ao big so I know I can get one to fit. One question do I need a basking spot for her due to her size?

Melleri usually need lots of drinking water for the first several weeks after purchase. When acclimating mine, I use a fine mist for lengthy periods- sometimes they drink slowly for really long periods and I run the misters for up to several hours a day for the first few weeks! It is important to have lots of dry time every day too though.

Melleri are wonderful lizards, but not always very easy to acclimate.
My advice- take my advice about lengthy water periods under a fine mist (drip probably won't do for acclimation) and get a veterinarian involved in deparasitizing- take stool samples in, not necessarily the lizard.

They don't eat as much as you might guess by the size of the species. I limited mine somewhat to even things out too though- if allowed to eat all they want in a single meal, some gorge themselves and then fast for several days. Most of mine ate around 6-10 large insects (adult cricket size or superworm or lobster roach) per feeding.

They are semi-montane too- like cool but with a warm basking spot to use when they feel like basking.

Wondering how sex was determined- it is a little tricky.
I was told she was a girl by the store! I will post up pics of her in my album on my profile and maybe u can tell me. Thanks for all the advice I guess a meller care is a bit different from a veiled. Yes she drinks A LOT and slowly. She gets right into the plants every 5 minutes to drink. I thought she ate a lot yes due to her size.

I bought her horn worms, wax worms and full size crickets, I gut load the crickets with cricket food, collard greens kale, berrys etc. Same as my veiled chams crickets but his cricket s are small then the mellers.

PM just sent about sexing. I wouldn't think the store capable but worst case they've got a 50/50 chance of being right! :)

After seeing her pics, she looks pretty good and is young- that is good as well.

Because of her size, she may eat more than I posted as she is still growing.

Back
Top Bottom