my new ambanja panther chameleon

nyrowunr24

Hi I am a new chameleon owner and did tons of research before buyin this guy. i bought him off a breeder who says he is from a purple bar bloodline. hes friendly and eats well and drinks every now and then. he is about 4 and a half months old. i am actually in the middle of creating a cage for him. i am turning an old 55 gallon fish tank into his terrarium, i replace the top slate of glass with a screen i made and i lined the back with polystyrene and i placed to large branches into it and set them in place and i carved out the polystyrene to look like a tree and it is looking amazing so far and cant wait to post pics. I am currently on my 2nd coat of grout and cant wait to get into the finer detail. well thanks for reading and here is a pic of Alfred my new panther cham

oh and the pics are from a cheap cell phone cam, i will post pics of the tank project very soon i am so excited to see the final product.

Attachments

• alfred.jpg
    alfred.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 238
  • alfred2.jpg
    alfred2.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 205
  • alfred3.jpg
    alfred3.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 184
  • alfred4.jpg
    alfred4.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 213
Hi I am a new chameleon owner and did tons of research before buyin this guy. i bought him off a breeder who says he is from a purple bar bloodline. hes friendly and eats well and drinks every now and then. he is about 4 and a half months old. i am actually in the middle of creating a cage for him. i am turning an old 55 gallon fish tank into his terrarium, i replace the top slate of glass with a screen i made and i lined the back with polystyrene and i placed to large branches into it and set them in place and i carved out the polystyrene to look like a tree and it is looking amazing so far and cant wait to post pics. I am currently on my 2nd coat of grout and cant wait to get into the finer detail. well thanks for reading and here is a pic of Alfred my new panther cham

oh and the pics are from a cheap cell phone cam, i will post pics of the tank project very soon i am so excited to see the final product.

Any fish tank or aquarium is not going to make a suitable chameleon enclosure without some serious modification.

I suggest instead of working so hard on such a project to purchase a recommended screen cage from out of our site sponsors. It supports the sit and gives your chameleon a wonderful life, what more can you ask for?

Main problem with a fish tank/aquarium is that it is totally sealed to prevent water leaks - which means no ventilation. Chameleons need a lot of fresh and moving air for them to stay in good health.

Unless you plan to cut out the back panel of glass or the two sides and put that with screen + the top screen for hot air to escape, that might be even better than a screen cage for a chameleon with high humidity requirements such as a panther. However that indeed is a lot of work, and panthers can live just fine in an all screen cage.

S.F

Unless you plan to cut out the back panel of glass or the two sides and put that with screen + the top screen for hot air to escape, that might be even better than a screen cage for a chameleon with high humidity requirements such as a panther. However that indeed is a lot of work, and panthers can live just fine in an all screen cage.

S.F

Just letting you know that the OP did say they were getting rid of the top pane to turn it into mesh.

EDIT: You're little cham is a sweetie :D

Last edited:
i am from chicago, yea i removed the top panel and created a screen for the top and a screen door. he is currently in a reptarium i believe the measurements are 18x18x36. its pretty cool and i have a live plant and tons of branches. he is a very friendly little guy and set himself in his new home quite fast,he started eating out of my hand only a couple of days after getting him, and he lets me handle him. as soon as i can get my hands on a digital camera i will post more pics of him and of his tank i am working on. i got the idea from youtube under DIY vivarium/terrarium background and i added my own personal touch to it. thanks alot guys i appreciate any feedback :)

lol yea it looks pretty huge but it honestly was a lil guy. thanks alot. i like alfred alot and i am already considering getting some more. i love reptiles i have had a 3 toed box turtle since i was 4, so i have had him for about 16 years.

What a cute little guy! I live in Chicago as well. Where did you purchase your little man? I am in the market for a panther cham. I am looking at some of the sponsors because I can't find any reputable place in the Chi. Any suggestions? :)

i found the breeder on craigslist. hes a really cool guy he is actually selling his breeder pair for 475 and i am pretty sure he has a couple more the same size and age as alfred. he has ambanjas and ambilobes. ill give him a call and ask if its cool if i give his number out but most likely it will not be a problem. all his chams are healthy and he def knows his stuff.i only paid 120 for alfred and his enclosure which isnt bad at all and my buddy picked up a 6 week old ambilobe for 80 alone. hes really reasonable and just wants to see em go to a good home

some pics of me and alfred kinda outta focus on some. and some of the enclosure( it looks a little ghetto now but im still pretty far from bein done) the white is the 2nd layer of grout i put on the polystyrene

Attachments

• DSCF3867.jpg
    DSCF3867.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF3857.jpg
    DSCF3857.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF3861.jpg
    DSCF3861.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 94
the tank so far i still need more grout, then paint, then detail. hope it comes out how im picturing it

Attachments

• DSCF3869.jpg
    DSCF3869.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCF3847.jpg
    DSCF3847.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 139
Back
Top Bottom