My new 2x2x4 diy

Big.D86

Established Member
After being in a large cage for a couple years, and having @Beman suggest to build a bigger cage, I was set to do so!!
It took some time to finally completing the cage and I have some minor minor things to complete. So ideally the back piece is foamed with plant holes in it, covered with coco fiber from Josh's frogs. All the branches are manzanita. All my plants are live plants, big umbrella tree with lots of pothos.
Let me know what you think..
Also how do some of you deal with cats and chameleons in the same household??
My gf and I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, 1 of the rooms was supposed to be a office/chameleon room/throw the litter box in the closet/ spare bedroom. Well one night I caught my gf's cat full on the side of my chams cage🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😡😡😡😡. So I immediately told her our idea wasn't going to work. She didn't really believe me since it's her cat. Til she caught him trying to be sneaky and jump on it again!!! So I'm struggling trying to come up with a cat solution. I would be beyond thankful on tips and advice tho!! Ever since that door stays shut when we leave and for the most part that were home. I have to close the door when I go in there just to keep my cham at ease too cause I feel like once little mr. Mischievous Ray comes In he doesn't like it. So I end up kicking the cat out and hang out with "Gong" privately lol🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_20210705_163918_805.jpg
    IMG_20210705_163918_805.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 20210331_120316.jpg
    20210331_120316.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 20210519_224657.jpg
    20210519_224657.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 20210705_161912.jpg
    20210705_161912.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 20210705_161931.jpg
    20210705_161931.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 20210705_161935.jpg
    20210705_161935.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 20210623_133148.jpg
    20210623_133148.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 140
Very nicely done!
I have cats, but they are old and lazy. I did have a kitten staying with me recently and she thankfully never noticed my chameleons. They are all quite elevated above floor level though and no way for her to sit, watch them and make plans to get at them. I would suggest elevating your enclosure by a few feet. Spraying kitty with water is also a good deterrent when she nears your cham.

Looks beautiful. Like we talked about getting the cage up on the stand your building and having a drain pan for water run off. That should help reduce the cats interest. However some cats are just naturally more interested in cages and the chams that are in them. I agree with @MissSkittles when your in the room if the cat comes in and gets too close give it a little spray with a water bottle. If your not in the room or gone close the door.

Thank you guys!!! @MissSkittles @Beman I have the sprayer right next to the cage if he does tend to misbehave, he usually runs out after that. Hopefully I can finish the stand here in the next couple hours. I'm flex sealing the bottom like you said though @Beman
Remember it has to gas off completely for a few days at least. You do not want to be able to smell odor from it. If you do it is not done gassing off the fumes. Cham should not be near it while it is gassing.

After being in a large cage for a couple years, and having @Beman suggest to build a bigger cage, I was set to do so!!
It took some time to finally completing the cage and I have some minor minor things to complete. So ideally the back piece is foamed with plant holes in it, covered with coco fiber from Josh's frogs. All the branches are manzanita. All my plants are live plants, big umbrella tree with lots of pothos.
My gf and I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, 1 of the rooms was supposed to be a office/chameleon room/throw the litter box in the closet/ spare bedroom. Well one night I caught my gf's cat full on the side of my chams cage🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😡😡😡😡. So I immediately told her our idea wasn't going to work. She didn't really believe me since it's her cat. Til she caught him trying to be sneaky and jump on it again!!! So I'm struggling trying to come up with a cat solution. I would be beyond thankful on tips and advice tho!! Ever since that door stays shut when we leave and for the most part that were home. I have to close the door when I go in there just to keep my cham at ease too cause I feel like once little mr. Mischievous Ray comes In he doesn't like it. So I end up kicking the cat out and hang out with "Gong" privately lol🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Looks great ❤️

Remember it has to gas off completely for a few days at least. You do not want to be able to smell odor from it. If you do it is not done gassing off the fumes. Cham should not be near it while it is gassing.
How many days do you think will work? 4-5?

I'm flex sealing the bottom like you said though
Which version of flex seal (spray, liquid, paste)?

I recently used 2 coats of liquid on a project, and it took close to a month to off-gas completely.
If you can smell it, it isn't completely off-gassed.

Which version of flex seal (spray, liquid, paste)?

I recently used 2 coats of liquid on a project, and it took close to a month to off-gas completely.
If you can smell it, it isn't completely off-gassed.
Dang, that sucks. I was thinking of using the spray one, I was going to just spray the bottom layer of the cage

Dang, that sucks. I was thinking of using the spray one, I was going to just spray the bottom layer of the cage
That may off-gas much quicker—IDK. Thinner coats, thinner mixture. Warmer temps & lower humidities also speed off-gassing. I strongly urge you to do this outside under cover or in the garage with the big door open. It's nasty stuff (IMO).

I recently used Plasti Dip (checked, checked and then checked again about safe for chams) and it absolutely reeked. I can’t recall if Flex Seal smelled so strong. Anyhow, I left it to sit outside for a few hours and once it dried and aired out, there was no odor when I brought it in the house. When I used Flex Seal, I did the same, but again I don’t remember if it still had odor when I brought it inside. I let it all sit for at least a week or more before exposing my chams to it.

Real nice work on enclosure
Really nice work on enclosure. TWO THUMBS UP!

Back
Top Bottom