my male Vieled chameleon is digging a hole.

Diebend

Ive had my chameleon about 2 months now (he is about 1 year old) and for christmas i left for a few days and when i came back, i saw there was a hole in the bottom of his cage. I didnt think much about it but today he started digging again. I have the bottom of the cage with about 3 inches of coconut sustrate. I've been reading and many suggest it may be a famale and wants to lay eggs, but i am sure it is a male. HIs casque is big, has brighter colors, has those hind leg bumps... i dont think its something bad, he has been eating well, shedding well, but i have no idea why he is doing this.

Are you sure it is a male? Please hurry and give it a proper laying bin for in case it is a female!

Well that's what the breeder told me and from what I've read.. here are some pics

Attachments

• 20170118_163340.jpg
    20170118_163340.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 647
  • 20170118_163333.jpg
    20170118_163333.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 614
A digging chameleon that is not gravid is usually a restless chameleon. There are some species that I have witnessed thermoregulate by digging in soil; e.g. Calumma malthe and Trioceros cristatus.

But on the whole, a digging chameleon isn't really "digging" as much as it is looking for an escape. I have seen this especially common in glass cages. I use primarily glass for all my montane species. I have dabbled with keeping veileds and panthers in glass and have experienced this behavior with both.

Also, a chameleon seen on the ground is usually thirsty or hungry. If a chameleon needs food, he isn't going to stay stagnant on a perch hoping for the best. He will actively hunt. Once fed, the chameleon usually returns to the upper portion of the cage and loses the restless behavior.

I tend to lean towards the later of the explanations for your situation. Your chameleon is a bit underweight and he is more than likely actively hunting to an extent that shows this restless behavior.

Last edited:
A digging chameleon that is not gravid is usually a restless chameleon. There are some species that I have witnessed thermoregulate by digging in soil; e.g. Calumma malthe and Trioceros cristatus.

But on the whole, a digging chameleon isn't really "digging" as much as it is looking for an escape. I have seen this especially common in glass cages. I use primarily glass for all my montane species. I have dabbled with keeping veileds and panthers in glass and have experienced this behavior with both.

Also, a chameleon seen on the ground is usually thirsty or hungry. If a chameleon needs food, he isn't going to stay stagnant on a perch hoping for the best. He will actively hunt. Once fed, the chameleon usually returns to the upper portion of the cage and loses the restless behavior.

I tend to lean towards the later of the explanations for your situation. Your chameleon is a bit underweight and he is more than likely actively hunting to an extent that shows this restless behavior.
That makes sence. The person who I bought it from said he usually eats about 5-6 crickets a day , I guess I'll give him more. Had no idea he looked underweight. Thanks!!

That makes sence. The person who I bought it from said he usually eats about 5-6 crickets a day , I guess I'll give him more. Had no idea he looked underweight. Thanks!!
Easily double that... When he has some meat on him go feed him every other day instead. Since crickets are fairly small compared to an adult veiled I'd go with around 15.... Try to add variety to his diet by offering him dubia, superworms (sparingly), silkworms, waxworms (sparingly), hornworms, phoenixworms etc

He looks a little "dry" to me. What's your humidity at? He may have been digging in the substrate to find moisture to re-hydrate or finish shedding? Generally, using substrate isn't recommended, because it holds moisture and grows mold. I would recommend getting it out of there, regardless. Have you seen him drinking? If so, how much, and when, and how?

Easily double that... When he has some meat on him go feed him every other day instead. Since crickets are fairly small compared to an adult veiled I'd go with around 15.... Try to add variety to his diet by offering him dubia, superworms (sparingly), silkworms, waxworms (sparingly), hornworms, phoenixworms etc
I have no idea where to get variety. I've asked around places that sell reptiles and they only offer crickets. I'll try to look harder and start feeding him.more!

He looks a little "dry" to me. What's your humidity at? He may have been digging in the substrate to find moisture to re-hydrate or finish shedding? Generally, using substrate isn't recommended, because it holds moisture and grows mold. I would recommend getting it out of there, regardless. Have you seen him drinking? If so, how much, and when, and how?
I mist him once a day. Most of the times he doesn't like it and runs away so I mist him.a bit and then mist he's leaves and glass so he can drink from.them. I've seen him luck the leaves and glass. Other days he enjoys the mist and just opens his mouth and drinks right there.
Humidity is usually 65- 70. I try to keep it there, but sometimes it drops a bit.

This really helps guys! This is my first cham and even though I've read a bit I think I'm still un informed about a lot of things!

Attachments

• 20170119_092205.jpg
    20170119_092205.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 230
Do you have live plants in the cage for him? He will eat them, as well as they will help to raise the humidity and keep it stabilized. How big is your enclosure? I would spray AT LEAST twice a day especially during the winter months. The furnace will dry the air fast. The dull brownish green color that he is, in the picture signals to me that something is wrong. Humidity is generally the most common issue, so start there. And I agree with more food, too. Keep those pictures coming!

Back
Top Bottom