My male Veiled yawning....

Kittyrocc

Good Morning....

So I have a 2-3 month old veieled male chamy... and I have noticed for 2 days now when he wakes up he goes immediately to bask...he's eating very well about 10-15 crickets a day... he's very active, but when he's basking he opens his mouth and sometimes yawns... Is this normal?

I am kind of scared I am new to chamy and I just want sto make sure I am doing the right thing...

Thanks

Thank you.... that could be... he's growing like a weed...I'm so new to this everything different he does scares me...

I dont know his basking temp.. I will check it today... but I have his lamp about 7 inch. away from his stick and he has several stick going down about 4-5 inches apart.... how hot should it be?

I am thinking of getting a lamp stand... maybe it's too close... :confused:

basking temps are very important and at that age should be in low 80s like 82 ish and when he gets older you can bump him up to high 80s or low 90s i keep mine at 92 and hes 7 months old

I've heard of beared dragons doing that to let off heat opening their mouth. I've seen mine do that too once every so often, get's it from their owners lol

I've noticed my guy yawning in the morning, it's adorable :eek:

Also, he opens his mouth really big, like a yawn, when he's shedding and trying to get skin off.

I've read they will yawn if it's a little too warm or if they are going to shed - mine will do it before/during a shed.

Has anyone ever gotten a video of one yawning yet? :eek:

I've read they will yawn if it's a little too warm or if they are going to shed - mine will do it before/during a shed.

Has anyone ever gotten a video of one yawning yet? :eek:

Herbert yawns every morning within minutes of turning on his lights. He yawns, puffs up really big, and then curls his body for a brief second. He also does this a couple times throughout the day. I'm assuming that he does it to show all of the other chameleons out there that this is his territory, or hoping that a receptive female is going to see him. Here is the yawn video:

Here is a video of him curling his body. We call it "his war dance"

He'll sometimes do it after climbing to the top of his cage. I believe it's so all the other chameleons can get a better view. I took this video because of the awesome colors that he's displaying. Didn't catch the yawn/war dance in this one, but trust me, he did it!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
He may be yawning, but he is most likely gaping. Gaping can be a sign of overheating, he may be trying to dissipate some heat by opening his mouth. Keep an eye on his temps, make sure they don't go beyond the recommended temperture for your chams age/life stage.

Back
Top Bottom