My male veiled is burying himself and I don't have a good enclosure for him.

Ok hello everyone I recently got a Veiled chameleon(male) and he is 5 and 1/2 months old and he has been burying himself in a plant I free roam him on but I don't know why I have done research and it said he is looking for a mate and i also can't find a good enclosure that has a screen top so he can get the UVB's he needs and i don't want my lil guy to pass away so if i could find a good enclosure and some different food for him that would be great. Thanks
IMG_20220825_185337.jpg
IMG_20220827_090537.jpg
IMG_20220828_100656.jpg
IMG_20220826_181718.jpg

Ok we need pics up close of the chameleon. I need to actually see it. The aquarium will not work and the lighting has to be upgraded. Along with a new cage...

Copy this and paste it into your reply then fill it out with detail. If you do not know specifics on something like supplements take pics of the labels and tell us how often your using it and how you are using it.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I’m glad you were able to follow my instructions on how to post your thread! Lol! I’m not good at explaining that. Beman is great with veilds since she has one. Just follow what she says and your lil guy will do great! Do you live in the USA?

Glad to see you out of media, you'll get more help here. Beman is the bomb with veiled Chams your in good hands

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, still looking for the sex,5 and a half months. 3 and a half months.
  • Handling - Only about 10 minutes a day to clean his/her cage.
  • Feeding - Meal worms super worms and only crickets a few times a month. 5-7 meal worms 3-4 super worms 5-6 crickets. No schedule. Putting vegetables in a cricket keeper with all the worms.
  • Supplements - Only repti-calcium with d3 twice a month.
  • Watering - misting the enclosure 3 times a day and fogging 8-10 hours a night. Everyday misting 2-4 minutes. My chameleon does drink only if i spray him/her directly or if i slowly drop water on his/her nose or if in the shower.
  • Fecal Description - Black droppings watery and squishy,urates light-dark yellow with white tip. Never been tested for parisites because i can't find a reptile vet near me
  • History - Never moves except to eat,buries in the dirt,bulging eyes,and eats a lot.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - glass cage with screen front. 3 ft x 1 and 1/2 ft x 1 and 1/2 ft.
  • Lighting - Zoo med dual lighting system,100 watt basking bulb,60 watt lamp bulb. Lamp bulb 6-8 hrs a day,basking bulb 30 mins a day.
  • Temperature - Basking spot,80-90 degrees Fahrenheit. 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit. Zoo med dual analog temperature and humidity gauge.
  • Humidity - 50-60. misting and fogging.Zoo med dual analog temperature and humidity gauge.
  • Plants - live plants. fox tail fern and 3 others unknown.
  • Placement - in front of window. On table above air vent. 6 ft off the floor.
  • Location - Stickleyville,Va

Current Problem - Burying,bulging eyes,doesn't move except when to eat,eats a lot.

You do need a T5HO 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb he\she is not any uvb which is very important. Send pic of back feet males will have a little spur

Hi. If your chameleon is trying to bury itself, I’m going to think that you may have a female that is trying to lay eggs and you should let her do her thing. When they need to lay, there is only a short time frame that they have the urge and they need to be given absolute privacy and no interruptions. I’d say to put a lay bin in, but if she is already digging somewhere, don’t disturb her. If she’s not digging, put a bin in. Being disturbed can lead to becoming egg bound, which is serious. Not able to go thru your husbandry or anything like that…just wanted to say my bit right now.
50FED80D-C9CA-48B5-92DC-5B5B2710C75A.jpeg

You shouldn't spray him or take in shower. You don't want any colored lights red is bad for eyes. Your humidity is to high should be around 40 percent during day. You don't want to use meal worm or super worms as main food crickets better. Super worms are a treat they will stop eating and will only eat super if you give to much. They are like Crack to a chameleon

Hi. If your chameleon is trying to bury itself, I’m going to think that you may have a female that is trying to lay eggs and you should let her do her thing. When they need to lay, there is only a short time frame that they have the urge and they need to be given absolute privacy and no interruptions. I’d say to put a lay bin in, but if she is already digging somewhere, don’t disturb her. If she’s not digging, put a bin in. Being disturbed can lead to becoming egg bound, which is serious. Not able to go thru your husbandry or anything like that…just wanted to say my bit right now.
View attachment 328311
What can i do with the babies because i dont have 2 enclosures only one

Going to need to buy another cage or one will die. They will stress each other to death and get sick. New uvb bulb that is a t5ho is a must like asap.

What can i do with the babies because i dont have 2 enclosures only one
Unless you’ve mated your chameleon, the eggs will be infertile…no babies. Chameleons lay (infertile) eggs every few months. There are ways to reduce egg production/laying, but first let’s get thru basic husbandry and all. If no one reviews your husbandry by the time I’m back on, I’ll do. Gotta run for now though. 🏃‍♀️

Is anyone going to go through the form since everyone is commenting on different aspects? I do not want to spend the time going through the forum if someone else is doing it.

Back
Top Bottom