My male carpet chameleon died today

paczkica

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 36"x18"x18" screened cage
Lighting - Repti-sun 5.0, only 2 months old
Temperature - Ambient temp high 70's, basking spot 90, night temps 60's
Humidity - Humidity is usually around 50
Plants - Pothos and Schefflera arboricola
Location - Quiet corner with other chameleons, visual barrier from other animals

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Carpet Chameleon, male, WC.
Feeding - Crickets, meal worms, silkworms
Supplements - Rep-cal with d3 twice a week, rep-cal wo d3 once a week, rep-cal herptivite once a week
Watering - Automatic misting system goes off 10 minutes every 2 hours, as well as drip system going all day, he was the best drinker out of all the chameleons I have, and I saw him drinking everyday
Fecal Description - Healthy droppings
History - WC, always looked really healthy, ate well, never had any problems before this
Current Problem - Well I checked on him this morning, and I noticed he was still in the location he sleeps in, so I knew something was up, when I opened the cage and he didnt lunge at me or move I knew something was wrong, he was still gripping the branch with one hand and his tail, but was mostly just resting on it with his body. I am very sad to lose him, but I know keeping WC's, especially carpets, has its risks. If anyone see's anything wrong with my husbandry let me know, I am glad he appears to have died in his sleep, hopefully it wasnt painful.

Awwww that sucks! Your set up sounds good to me. 2months is still really young, so it is not out of the realm of possibility that he was never too healthy to begin with, epically if he was WC. I am not 100% sure on how long the importing process takes, but that dude had to have been on the road a lot of his life. Any pictures or him and the cage? Think about the good and bad things that you learned while keeping him and when you are ready try again. Mike at FL chams will have some CB babies soon-ish and he also has some really nice WC ones. I got mine last week from him and it is awesome. Good luck, sorry for your loss; that is always hard :(

Yeah, he was a full grown adult male, no idea of the age as he was wild caught, I have a female carpet as well as some of their eggs incubating that will hopefully hatch.

Your carpet chameleon could have died due to the low humidity and high basking temps. Carpet chameleons humidity shiuld be kept at 70% and the basking spot should be about 85. So sorry

Back
Top Bottom