my locust are crunchy by morning....

little leaf

Avid Member
is there anyway to keep locust "soft" like when they first hatch- I can find the locust at night, but they are so big, and hard by morning, I am scared to feed them- so I chicken out, and let them go - I was going to offer them to my panthers, and Jacksons - or should I just not feed them - :confused:
I thought it was kinda cool too- I saw a " Double Decker " hatching tonight - lol

Last edited:
ok, lol - we grew up calling them locust - but , yes, locust are the grass hopper things - I will see how one does - :eek: and if it goes ok, maybe offer more :rolleyes:

ok, lol - we grew up calling them locust - but , yes, locust are the grass hopper things - I will see how one does - :eek: and if it goes ok, maybe offer more :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I called them locusts too. I actually JUST learned that they are cicadas (lol!).

I would feed one to the biggest cham. Those things are as big as a roach but the chitin are possibly harder.

I'm sure the cham can chew through any type of bug though :)

Cicadas are one of the coolest bugs around. Strange looking and loud.

I weren't worry about their crunchiness. In the wild, jacksons eat snails. Years ago, when I kept jacksons, I collected snails from a chemical-free source and fed them to my jacksons. At first, I was concerned both about the hardness of the shells and the sharpness of shell fragments in my chameleons' mouths. But my jacksons loved the snails and had no problem crunching and swallowing the shells.

I DID IT :eek: I fed one to Oliver, he LOVED IT ! Capone, on the other hand- is still giving it the stink eye, and wants nothing to do with it :cool: he is such a Mamma's boy :p

I DID IT :eek: I fed one to Oliver, he LOVED IT ! Capone, on the other hand- is still giving it the stink eye, and wants nothing to do with it :cool: he is such a Mamma's boy :p

I wish I could have seen Oliver attack one of those cicadas on Saturday! Any tips for finding them? I am pretty sure my panthers Malcolm and Moe would eat them up :D

I wish I could have seen Oliver attack one of those cicadas on Saturday! Any tips for finding them? I am pretty sure my panthers Malcolm and Moe would eat them up :D

first - put on TONS of OFF- lol I go out around 10 - 11 - and just look on the side of trees, or low on the underside of the branches - you cant miss them - they are bright green when just molted, or just look for a spot of mud - lol but they are all over- I dont know if you would have better luck going later- or realllllly early in the am - but these I found around 11 pm - they are also on other stuff- picnic tables, our outsied chairs - and this am they were on the new big cage - so they come out of the ground all over- oh, brick wall too- we find alot there ~ I wish I could give Olive one, I know she would love it- but w/ her "issues" and she is so tight in the belly area, I am keeping her on squishy stuff- and small meals thew the day to avoid a big "lump" passing threw - she has done NOTHING yet :(

Back
Top Bottom