My living room where Eustis lives smelling kinda yucky

I think it was standing water but there isn’t much. The water plus other organic matter in the corner of my drainage tray but it’s clean now.

@Lindasjackson when I had Beau in a spare
I kept smelling kind of a poopy smell so I cleaned the bottom of his cage out. There were a lot of leaves and some poop but nothing bad. I cup feed him so no bugs in the bottom. I don’t know if it was the few poop in the bottom or not but it smells better now. I didn’t see any urates with the poop. Is that anything to worry about? Maybe they’re on the plants in there. I don’t know. I checked the couple plants that I can move around but didn’t see anything. He spends most of his time in his big ficus tree deep in there. There’s no way I can see his poops in there. I think I’m going to get some hydrogen peroxide and dump it in his drainage tray and see if that will eliminate the smell that’s still lingering. I’m going to clean my kitties litter box as well. I do clean it often. That may help to. Living in a very small apartment can really concentrate smells unfortunately.
After having Beau in the spare room for the first couple of weeks, I began to notice an unpleasant smell. It was definitely the yucky water coming from his cage and sitting there in the drain pan. I had actually forgot about using peroxide to treat the water with so I can’t speak to that, but my fiancé was concerned about the sitting water so he picked this up:

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-63144.html

The little black hoses and pieces at the bottom don’t get used for the purpose of draining off standing water. I put the orange hose on top in the water sitting in the drain pan, the second orange hose on the bottom into an empty Target kitty litter container and pump it by hand. The pumping action siphons the standing water through the top and drains it through the bottom hose into my empty container. Far from perfect or ideal, but it gets the job done and keeps the murky smell away. A wet vac would, admittedly, make this very thing far easier to deal with though!

After having Beau in the spare room for the first couple of weeks, I began to notice an unpleasant smell. It was definitely the yucky water coming from his cage and sitting there in the drain pan. I had actually forgot about using peroxide to treat the water with so I can’t speak to that, but my fiancé was concerned about the sitting water so he picked this up:

The little black hoses and pieces at the bottom don’t get used for the purpose of draining off standing water. I put the orange hose on top in the water sitting in the drain pan, the second orange hose on the bottom into an empty Target kitty litter container and pump it by hand. The pumping action siphons the standing water through the top and drains it through the bottom hose into my empty container. Far from perfect or ideal, but it gets the job done and keeps the murky smell away. A wet vac would, admittedly, make this very thing far easier to deal with though!
Ah I forgot to mention - you’ll wanna clean this thing after each use (if you decide to give it a try). That’s easily done by placing a bucket or container of clean water into your tub or shower, fill the bucket full of clean water, stick the top hose in the water and pump out any gunk that may have got stuck inside. Otherwise, you won’t get any suction on your next use. I learned that the hard way..

Every couple of months I will remove the chameleon (benefit of having an outdoor and indoor cage for 1 chameleon haha) and pour bleach on the bottom white PVC panel of cage and then rinse with water and let that all sit in the drainage pan until everything is white again, preventing any smell. I usually wait a day until the bleach smell is gone to add the chameleon back to indoor cage.

Edit: To clarify... I do not have any plants or anything sitting on bottom of cage... Floating garden all the way!

Well I do believe I got rid of my smell. My cage drains into the drain pan really well and my drain pan usually drains into my bucket really well but a week ago I was working in the cage and it was moving a little and one of the metal caps I have under the back legs to tip the table forward a little to make the water drain towards the front got moved out from under the leg and I didn’t notice for a few days. I did notice after about a week that my drain pan had a little water accumulated on the side and figured out what had happened and I fixed it but it must have given enough time for something to grow. I think the hydrogen peroxide has taken care of it. It smells a lot better.

When I had a cage with a false bottom, that's what I used, and it worked wonderfullly!

I kept smelling kind of a poopy smell so I cleaned the bottom of his cage out. There were a lot of leaves and some poop but nothing bad. I cup feed him so no bugs in the bottom. I don’t know if it was the few poop in the bottom or not but it smells better now. I didn’t see any urates with the poop. Is that anything to worry about? Maybe they’re on the plants in there. I don’t know. I checked the couple plants that I can move around but didn’t see anything. He spends most of his time in his big ficus tree deep in there. There’s no way I can see his poops in there. I think I’m going to get some hydrogen peroxide and dump it in his drainage tray and see if that will eliminate the smell that’s still lingering. I’m going to clean my kitties litter box as well. I do clean it often. That may help to. Living in a very small apartment can really concentrate smells unfortunately.
I know I got here late and problem solved, but poop smells are exactly what Nature's Miracle is for.
With chameleon removed, it can be spritzed on plants & other soiled surfaces, and just let it dry. It won't "Vapoorize", but it will kill the stank. Eventually, any lost dried debris will wash down through the drainage system—sans stinkum. If this stuff can kill beardie stank, it can kill any smell a chameleon can produce.

Urates can sometimes be dissolved by mister water. I've actually seen this happen during the midday misting; the urate gets washed away, while the 💩 gets wet & mushy but remains.

Keeping a drain pan dry (when it's not draining) is as important as allowing an enclosure to dry out completely between mistings—prevention of crud growth.

I know I got here late and problem solved, but poop smells are exactly what Nature's Miracle is for.
With chameleon removed, it can be spritzed on plants & other soiled surfaces, and just let it dry. It won't "Vapoorize", but it will kill the stank. Eventually, any lost dried debris will wash down through the drainage system—sans stinkum. If this stuff can kill beardie stank, it can kill any smell a chameleon can produce.

Urates can sometimes be dissolved by mister water. I've actually seen this happen during the midday misting; the urate gets washed away, while the 💩 gets wet & mushy but remains.

Keeping a drain pan dry (when it's not draining) is as important as allowing an enclosure to dry out completely between mistings—prevention of crud growth.
Thank you! That’s good to know. I need to find this natures miracle. I’ve looked for it but haven’t found it yet.

I have a bulkhead in my drainage pans so they never drain completely. That 1/16th of an inch of water can get gross if left untreated.

That's why I dropped the hole for the bulkhead by the thickness of the fixture wall. I had to do a little hand carving (PITA), but the bottom of the bulkhead came out at the same level as the bottom of the drain pan.

Do you think a few well-placed water balls or crystals might help soak up that water?

I have a bulkhead in my drainage pans so they never drain completely. That 1/16th of an inch of water can get gross if left untreated.
My bulkhead was too high for the water to reach so I drilled some holes in the bottom along the front edge of the drainage pan so the water could drain out into the bucket under it. It works quite well as long as the metal caps under the two back legs of the table it’s on stay in place to tip it forward a little.

Back
Top Bottom