My living room where Eustis lives smelling kinda yucky

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I kept smelling kind of a poopy smell so I cleaned the bottom of his cage out. There were a lot of leaves and some poop but nothing bad. I cup feed him so no bugs in the bottom. I don’t know if it was the few poop in the bottom or not but it smells better now. I didn’t see any urates with the poop. Is that anything to worry about? Maybe they’re on the plants in there. I don’t know. I checked the couple plants that I can move around but didn’t see anything. He spends most of his time in his big ficus tree deep in there. There’s no way I can see his poops in there. I think I’m going to get some hydrogen peroxide and dump it in his drainage tray and see if that will eliminate the smell that’s still lingering. I’m going to clean my kitties litter box as well. I do clean it often. That may help to. Living in a very small apartment can really concentrate smells unfortunately.

I do empty the pail often but the water in it is brown due to the soil in the plant pots. I’m going to start spot cleaning every day, yes. Because I have the mister going every couple hours at night and the fogger and the dripper during the day there is always water draining from the catch pan and I think it’s gross under there but can’t see but just the edges of it. I think that’s where the smell is coming from. I sniffed it and it’s not pleasant. I’m going to get a couple bottles of hydrogen peroxide and dump it into the back of the pan and we will se what happens, if the smell goes away.

I do empty the pail often but the water in it is brown due to the soil in the plant pots. I’m going to start spot cleaning every day, yes. Because I have the mister going every couple hours at night and the fogger and the dripper during the day there is always water draining from the catch pan and I think it’s gross under there but can’t see but just the edges of it. I think that’s where the smell is coming from. I sniffed it and it’s not pleasant. I’m going to get a couple bottles of hydrogen peroxide and dump it into the back of the pan and we will se what happens, if the smell goes away.
Yeah I dunno I do not clean mine that way.

How do you clean your drainage pan or are you bioactive?
I can get to my entire drain pan with my cage. So I wet vac every other day and then once a month I use hot water and dawn soap to clean out the pan. Pour hot water back into it and wet vac it back out to get the rest of the soap out.

I finally found the post! It was back in July and it was jacksjill who said you can periodically treat the water in your drainage tray by adding hydrogen peroxide. I’ll see if I can copy and paste it here. Post in thread 'Drainage tray frustration (sorry to keep asking so many questions)' July 21 2021. Nope it wouldn’t copy and paste.

I can get to my entire drain pan with my cage. So I wet vac every other day and then once a month I use hot water and dawn soap to clean out the pan. Pour hot water back into it and wet vac it back out to get the rest of the soap out.
So is cage high above your drainage pan? Mines only about an inch and a half above or maybe 2 inches.

I can lift out the solid panel in the bottom of mine to but it means I have to move all the plants out first and the ficus tree is heavy as well as the fact I’d have to take down all the branches to take it out is a hassle.

@JacksJill do you use hydrogen peroxide in your drain pans? Is it safe to put some in the drain pan with Eustis in his cage? I already cleaned the bottom of his actual cage.

There’s not much, maybe a couple tablespoons in one corner but I want to disinfect the whole thing which I really wasn’t able to because I didn’t pull the whole thing out to get to the back so I put one tablespoon into the back of one side and one down the other side and one in the corner where there was water. We will see if it helps. I’m not 100% sure that all of the stink was coming from his cage but I’ve cleaned the litter box and the bathroom, and his cage so let’s hope it’s gone now. Not that anything was hat dirty because I clean regularly. We will see.

Back
Top Bottom