My Little Iggy Piper is One Year Old

jannb

Chameleon Enthusiast
Today is the day we are celebrating Piper's hatch day. Piper is the sweetest iggy and would love for us to hold him/her 24/7. If I had known Iguanas were so sweet I would have adopted one years ago.

Here's Piper at one year old and weighing 155 grams.

Happy Hatch Day my little sweetie!

piper%20amos%20stanley%20092017%20034_zpsd99wtdqc.jpg

piper%20amos%20stanley%20092017%20037_zpslkjqy6vt.jpg

piper%20amos%20stanley%20092017%20314_zpspz4yfy3t.jpg

piper%20amos%20stanley%20092017%20326_zpsf3zo1mxs.jpg

piper%20amos%20stanley%20092017%20363_zpss5wx3jyd.jpg

piper%20amos%20stanley%20092017%20388_zpsmkrkpfi5.jpg

piper%20amos%20stanley%20092017%20401_zpsnmiedrn3.jpg

piper%20amos%20stanley%20092017%20428_zpse8vitpcg.jpg

piper%20amos%20stanley%20092017%20436_zps16pw7ig2.jpg

piper%20amos%20stanley%20092017%20442_zpsh163uu3f.jpg

piper%20amos%20stanley%20092017%20451_zpsjasjwzyn.jpg

piper%20amos%20stanley%20092017%20468_zpslifx5wqf.jpg

Piper is stunning, what a lucky iggy he/she is too!
Beautiful photos as always too, love the close up of Piper's head, what gorgeous colours and scale patterns.
Happy Hatchday Piper! Hornworm birthday cake for everyone.

They are definitely trainable! You can train them to use a litter box and they understand a certain amount of language as well.

Piper is just gorgeous! Obviously, you were meant to find each other in this life. How lucky for all!

Happy Hatchday, Piper!

Deb

Piper is stunning, what a lucky iggy he/she is too!
Beautiful photos as always too, love the close up of Piper's head, what gorgeous colours and scale patterns.
Happy Hatchday Piper! Hornworm birthday cake for everyone.

Thank you Tabatha for all of the nice comments. Piper is strictly vegetarian but he did enjoy some butternut squash
and hibiscus flowers.....his favorite.

Piper is just gorgeous! Obviously, you were meant to find each other in this life. How lucky for all!

Happy Hatchday, Piper!

Deb

Thank you Deb! You are always so very kind. I'm really glad my husband allowed me to bring him inside. Now Mike lets him sit in his lap while he
watched TV.

Iguanas are wonderful and as long as you respect their boundaries and work with them consistently they make good pets. Sadly most people don't understand what they need and who they are and therefore they get a horrible rep. They definitely aren't the beginner reptile everyone originally though they were. Be aware that when Piper peaks at sexual maturity it likely will be much worse than any cham, especially if he/she turns out to be 100% he. They can be nasty around mating season. Even the best behaved ones, but honestly that's when you give them their space. Most of the year from what I know they are otherwise just like big dogs with more complicated care requirements XD

Iguanas are wonderful and as long as you respect their boundaries and work with them consistently they make good pets. Sadly most people don't understand what they need and who they are and therefore they get a horrible rep. They definitely aren't the beginner reptile everyone originally though they were. Be aware that when Piper peaks at sexual maturity it likely will be much worse than any cham, especially if he/she turns out to be 100% he. They can be nasty around mating season. Even the best behaved ones, but honestly that's when you give them their space. Most of the year from what I know they are otherwise just like big dogs with more complicated care requirements XD

No worries Amber, I have been a member of the Keys Iguana Moms since we moved here. I have one of the best reptile vets in the world that deals with tons of iguanas. Years ago my vet and the other three vets here on the Keys neutered and spayed every Iguana they could get their hands on to help with over population. Even people would catch them and bring them in. He’s a very kind and loving man that really try’s to help the animals. When Piper is between 400 and 500 grams he/she will be spayed or neutered. Dr. Doug said it they are fixed before they reach sexual maturity is should stop the aggression during mating season. He said if you wait to neuter and spay until after they reach mature that it doesn’t work as well. I feel that between Dr. Doug, the Iguana Moms and my friend Ty Park, Piper and I are pretty well taken care of.

I agree with the spay and neutering, it makes a lot of sense and since iguanas get so large it's easier to do surgeries like that. And I am so glad you have such an amazing exotic vet. Piper will be living the life with you, especially considering a three legged iguana on the outside is always at a disadvantage. They always brighten our lives <3

How long does it take for them to reach their full size. I'm not planning on getting one, I just like to know different facts about different animals, so when my cousin tells me he wants something I can tell him, "Now you know a reticulated python can get 20 ft long right, and your not even nine yet, so you should probably wait a little while." Lol. Piper is absolutely beautiful! I've always thought they amazing, but I don't know if would ever want to put up with their sassy little butts.

How long does it take for them to reach their full size. I'm not planning on getting one, I just like to know different facts about different animals, so when my cousin tells me he wants something I can tell him, "Now you know a reticulated python can get 20 ft long right, and your not even nine yet, so you should probably wait a little while." Lol. Piper is absolutely beautiful! I've always thought they amazing, but I don't know if would ever want to put up with their sassy little butts.

Thank you for your comments and the compliment on my little Piper. It takes around 7 to 8 years for them to reach their full adult size. They reach sexual maturity around 3 years of age. In captivity they normally live 10 to twelve years but have been known to live over 20 years.

Thank you for your comments and the compliment on my little Piper. It takes around 7 to 8 years for them to reach their full adult size. They reach sexual maturity around 3 years of age. In captivity they normally live 10 to twelve years but have been known to live over 20 years.
Thank you for answering!

Back
Top Bottom