My little guy, Rango

lindseymeder16

This is my juvenile veiled chameleon, Rango. He's about 5 months. Thes pics were taken about a week after I got him.

RipearianandRango021.jpg

RipearianandRango025.jpg

RipearianandRango026.jpg

RipearianandRango027.jpg

His cage. It's the x-lrg repti breeze cage (4 ft tall 2ft by 2ft). I've got a hawaiin elf schefflers plant, along with artificial vines and more artificial plants. My dad bulilt a X thing to go into his cage for his highest basking spot -- wich he absolutely loves. We are going to build onto his cage once Rango gets about full grown.
If you have any suggestions please let me know. It would be greatly appreaciated!

Rango003.jpg

lots of hiding spots r good but id get rid of the substrate he could accidently swaalow some which might cause impaction :)

Welcome to the forums...you will have fun learning about chameleons and how to give your cham a long happy healthy life:)
he looks good:)

quick suggestions is to remove the substrate at the bottom....if he eats a bug from there he can choke or casue an impaction. plus it only raises chances of harboring bacteria.

you can leave it bare or have papetowels/newspaper- easier cleaning and much cleaner

also the red light you can switch it up to a regular hardware bulb like 75 watts...keep the basking area in the 80's and the rest of the cage ine the 70's, and at night they sleep in the 60's-low 70's...

also the crickets seem a bit big for him...if he eats only 4-6 crix then they are too big for him right now..try to get smaller ones.....but i could be wrong abotu the size in the pic.

also you give them water by spraying the cage with a misting bottle and also use a drip system (can use a deli cup and poke a hole in the bottom) leave on top of the cage and let it drip on the leaves

awsome enlcousre though!!!:D you are off to a decent start.

are you talking about the soil on the ground? my dad and i have been reading up on that, and most articles are saying that newspapers at the bottom is good. what do you use? we are thingking about taking the soil out but trying to get more infor first.

a lot of people use paper towles or newspapers i personally keep my floor bare i wipe it down i a week or whenever i see debris

yes they are talking about the soil in the bottom..just put newspaper or paper towel..your chameleon wont go down their anyway and you can clean it out every day or every other day so that no bacteria will grow/collect and its not harmful to your little guy
PS-welcome to the forum..great looking cham you got there..your gonna love him!

Ace--

I use a misting bottle 4-5 times a day. My dad and I are looking into getting the "Big Dripper". Do you know anything about this? Looks alright but not sure, isn't much info.

When we got him last sunday the pet store had him on the baby crickets, 1/4 if i remember right. I fed him 6 crickets in the morning on monday and when i came home from school he was looking around for food so i threw some more in. He went threw 24 crickets in about a day and half. (the 1/4 size crickets). So, we got the medium sized ones, he seems to be eating them completely fine. about 10 a day on the medium ones. we are also feeding him mealworms, which he loves! and are trying to find waxworms and superworms to see if he likes them.

He's got a basking area at about 85 to 90 degrees, and the rest of the cage is about 70-75. I'm having trouble with the humidity though because of his screen cage, and ideas on how to keep it up?

Thanks!!

Ace--

I use a misting bottle 4-5 times a day. My dad and I are looking into getting the "Big Dripper". Do you know anything about this? Looks alright but not sure, isn't much info.

When we got him last sunday the pet store had him on the baby crickets, 1/4 if i remember right. I fed him 6 crickets in the morning on monday and when i came home from school he was looking around for food so i threw some more in. He went threw 24 crickets in about a day and half. (the 1/4 size crickets). So, we got the medium sized ones, he seems to be eating them completely fine. about 10 a day on the medium ones. we are also feeding him mealworms, which he loves! and are trying to find waxworms and superworms to see if he likes them.

He's got a basking area at about 85 to 90 degrees, and the rest of the cage is about 70-75. I'm having trouble with the humidity though because of his screen cage, and ideas on how to keep it up?

Thanks!!
IMHO i think you should keep the basking temp a tad cooler...he is young and can dehydrate if it is in the 90's..maybe like 80-85...

thats good, then i guess you are mostly set...and you dont have to get the "Big dripper" i just use a decentsize deli-cup poke a small hole and mad sure the dripping was not too fast or too slow....hehe:D, but if anything you can get the "little dripper"

as for the mealworms..use sparingly if best not at all...they are mostly shell and not much meat...which can be bad for your cham.....BUT you can definatley use superworms the have more meat and less shelll called "chitin"
once he is big enough or i he is ready now you can use superworms

you can also use silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, dubia roaches, mantids, blue bottle flies, etc.

also to make sure to gutload your crickets with fresh veggies and fruits( avoid tomatoe, broccoli, and spinach- they inhibit the absorbtion of calcium your cham gets from food and supplements)

here is a great blog about caring for your cham...it has nearly all the info you can get for now as you just started keeping your first cham!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

hope this helps and dont be afraid to ask questions:)

good luck!

if u wanna make a dripper just use a coke bottle put a hole in the lid small one turn it upside down wola u can get another bottle cut half way down the neck in half best then turn it upside down the first bottle fits in like a stand booom drink the coke use the bottle winner all round

IMHO i think you should keep the basking temp a tad cooler...he is young and can dehydrate if it is in the 90's..maybe like 80-85...

thats good, then i guess you are mostly set...and you dont have to get the "Big dripper" i just use a decentsize deli-cup poke a small hole and mad sure the dripping was not too fast or too slow....hehe:D, but if anything you can get the "little dripper"

as for the mealworms..use sparingly if best not at all...they are mostly shell and not much meat...which can be bad for your cham.....BUT you can definatley use superworms the have more meat and less shelll called "chitin"
once he is big enough or i he is ready now you can use superworms

you can also use silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, dubia roaches, mantids, blue bottle flies, etc.

also to make sure to gutload your crickets with fresh veggies and fruits( avoid tomatoe, broccoli, and spinach- they inhibit the absorbtion of calcium your cham gets from food and supplements)

here is a great blog about caring for your cham...it has nearly all the info you can get for now as you just started keeping your first cham!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

hope this helps and dont be afraid to ask questions:)

good luck!

Thanks, the blog was very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom