My little guy looks miserable

JoeT

He is active, hunting all day, drinks very well and seems healthy. However when I look at him I get a feeling that something is wrong. I alter his calcium to every other day, and 2x a week with Korvimin as recommended by the local vet. I swap between ff and pinheads every 2 days and gut load pinheads with fresh vegies.

The nearest reputable reptile vet is over 250 Km away in Munich :(

Please someone that knows a bit about Panthers have a look at the pics. I would like a few opinions from people with experience before I drive all the way down to Munich for no reason.

Just his general appearance does not look good to me, his skin seems to be too big for him. I have a long history with reptiles, but never a cham, let alone such a wonderful species as this one.

Also if you can see it, there seems to be some type of growth on the top of his tail where it connects to his body.

Perhaps I am being too worried, but I rather have the opinion from some of you.

He is 3 months old now, and I have had it about a month. He is in a glass ExoTerra for now to keep his environment somewhat small for him to hunt in. I have a reptiGlow 5.0 and a 40 watt sunglow lamp. Temp at the top during the day 30 C, bottom 25 C and at night I have a constant 23 C. I spray 3 times a day making sure it is dried up by the lights out time, and the dripper.

Thanks for the help!

your pics did not show up, atleast on my computer! I am on my mother inlaws lap top so maybe that is the reason???

First of all, what is Kormivin? As far as the growth it looks like it could be a piece of stuck shed maybe? Has he shed since you had him? Over all he looks good. His eyes do not show any dehydration and his limbs look straight from what I can see meaning no MBD. There also appears to be another of what you you said his on his tail on his back, no? That looks like shed to me, but I might be wrong.

He hasn't shed yet. Korvimin is a very expensive vitamin supplement that they sell in Europe for reptiles that need calcium and the various vitamins gathered from the sun. It costs me like 29 Euro for 100 grams, and I have always been very happy with it for my geckos, frogs, and beardies.

I was also referring to the part on his back, sorry for the improper description. He has 3 spots like that directly on the top of his back, the other two are much smaller.

Thanks for looking, I will keep an eye on him. I would just hate for something to happen, but also would hate to drive to Munich for no reason at roughly $10 a gallon right now and about $80 just for showing up to the appointment and the vet looking at him.

Well then that probably rules out the left over shed then! Gosh, I wish I had answer for you. hopefully another member that perhaps knows or has had a smiliar skin issue can help you. Good luck and dang your gas is expensive! Holy Chameleon!! Our is like $3.70 a gallon and we are complaining!!!

yes, the gas is high over here. My dad tells me the same though, that it is getting really high in the states. @PrettyInInk87 thanks, I think he looks a bit wrinkly too, that was my main concern.... Perhaps he will shed soon, I just don't know when a panther should shed the first time, so I am worried about my little guy.

i'm not an experienced owner, but i would check basking temp, i've heard the young ones like it hot, and they can burn themselves. Could be burnt skin on his back. I wouldn't know what it looks like though.

Well for what it is worth that is shed on him. Also pinheads and ff's are too small for a 3 month panther. I would be using at least 1/8" if not 1/4". Since he is used to very small food, I would move him up to 1/8" (.4 ml) crickets. I think his skin looks loose as he is going into shed.

Thanks all for the help. Yesterday he literally poped out of his skin. I was worried in the beginning, and as always you all were correct :)

It's great to have someplace to go for help! Would have felt pretty stupid driving all the way to Munich for the vet to tell me that it was getting ready to shed

Thanks all for the help. Yesterday he literally poped out of his skin. I was worried in the beginning, and as always you all were correct :)

It's great to have someplace to go for help! Would have felt pretty stupid driving all the way to Munich for the vet to tell me that it was getting ready to shed

Glad things worked out for you. Damn! That trip really would have sucked. Stay informed on the forums and maybe they will save you more trips. Haha.

I know in some other animals when their skin is a bit wrinkly it means they are dehydrated but I dont know if the same goes for Chams.

JoeT,

Fill out these information Questions. This will allow the for everyone to see if something in your husbadry could be off.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

The spots on the back may be a fungal issue but the pics are not very representitive so it hard to tell. I agree the health does not look up to par...

Post the info and there are many experianced members that may be able to identify the underlying problem.

Sherman

Back
Top Bottom