My Lady Parson's Jungle Oasis (part 2 )

Bammer

Part 2....

If you have not seen Part 1 of the Lady Parsons Jungle Oasis, please go back and start there.

You can click here to access Part 1.

In effort to cut the screens, I used my Dremel with metal tip. Wear safety glasses dude; you'll thank me.
IMG_0828.jpg

Make sure you measure everything REALLY tight. I was accurate to the 16th of an inch. I used a razor to etch the exact cut spot before cutting with the Dremel.

IMG_0830.jpg

After all of the frame pieces were cut, I organized them into bags by cut size.
IMG_0847.jpg

Make sure you use Aluminum screen so the insects can't chew through and the heat lamps won't burn.
I had to paint the screen with black spray paint which makes it much easier to see through; it's more invisible when it's black. I only needed (1) of these 25' rolls and had left over.

IMG_0848.jpg

And here is the screen cage. You notice the polypropylene plastic cardboard sheet in the back. That started as a 96"x48" piece that I cut to fit center to the back and even on left and right.
IMG_0851.jpg

Now the Great Stuff expanding foam! You can also see the rails I installed on the edges that were inspired by Dragon Strands Dragon Rails.

IMG_0852.jpg

And now spray paint!

IMG_0860.jpg

Now time to paint brush on the Air duct sealant and then sprinkle the coco coire.
The coco coire requires you add water to make it expand from the compressed brick. I had to put it in the oven for 8-10 hours at 250°F to remove the moisture.
IMG_0863.jpg

And finally here is the finished enclosure. This picture is showing the way I keep the cage most of the time, without the front cover in place. While the screen painted black is almost invisible, it's nice to have an absolutely unobstructed view at the front.

IMG_0899.jpg

I have even more enclosures to share with you guys.

My next post will show you how I Pimped my Reptibreeze cages. lol!

If you have any questions please don't hesitate. Your comments are welcome.

Might I add, always remember to check your safe plant list! You can find one on flchams website.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nice job. Personally I wouldn't use those bark chips at the bottom. They have been known to be problematic and if you're going to go that far with your enclosure, why not just use a nice layer of bio substrate? Especially with parson's tendency to eat dirt at times. Just a little constructive criticism... enjoying your threads a lot.

Edit: have you had issues with the corrugated plastic breaking down over time? I've heard people say this, but i personally haven't used it.

Oh be-still my heart, this enclosure is making me green with envy. What is that plant I see with the very large round leaves?

Nice job. Personally I wouldn't use those bark chips at the bottom. They have been known to be problematic and if you're going to go that far with your enclosure, why not just use a nice layer of bio substrate? Especially with parson's tendency to eat dirt at times. Just a little constructive criticism... enjoying your threads a lot.

Edit: have you had issues with the corrugated plastic breaking down over time? I've heard people say this, but i personally haven't used it.
Thanks for your feedback. Corrugated plastic only gave me issues with excessive UV outdoors. Yea I’ve considered a bio-substrate but considering the Parsons drink a sh!t ton of water, I would soggy up the bio substrate so fast and create a disaster.

I’m not worried about the Parsons walking on the bark. Under the bark is this filter.

13E8B124-F387-40DA-A958-89C454F639EA.jpeg

I use the Big Dripper and fill it 2-3 times a day. There is also a mist king that runs periodically throughout the day. I reuse all the drainwater in my garden. Here are the drain tanks and the simple drain hose system. Just make sure the drain tank is elevated and not on ground level and this drain hose works great.

At Home Depot in the electrical section, I found this water tight fitting that’s used with flexible waterproof conduit. Then I found some clear tubing with a thick wall so it’s very stiff. This is what it looks like assembled.

82FD11ED-A38A-422D-9072-4539BF4340C3.jpeg

Then drill .75” in bottom of drain bin, install the drain hose and use a worm clamp so to really tighten the hose on the grey fitting. No leaks! The thick wall hose is stiff so I can store it in the bin with the natural curl it has from being on a roll.

8CCE7783-46B3-461B-889D-45974031A453.jpeg

To drain just drop the hose into something at floor level or just lower than the drain. I use triple trash bags in the floor.

973611E2-0E94-4CE7-ADA1-B7767C31AB46.jpeg

Part 2....

If you have not seen Part 1 of the Lady Parsons Jungle Oasis, please go back and start there.

You can click here to access Part 1.

In effort to cut the screens, I used my Dremel with metal tip. Wear safety glasses dude; you'll thank me.
View attachment 206698

Make sure you measure everything REALLY tight. I was accurate to the 16th of an inch. I used a razor to etch the exact cut spot before cutting with the Dremel.

View attachment 206699

After all of the frame pieces were cut, I organized them into bags by cut size.
View attachment 206700

Make sure you use Aluminum screen so the insects can't chew through and the heat lamps won't burn.
I had to paint the screen with black spray paint which makes it much easier to see through; it's more invisible when it's black. I only needed (1) of these 25' rolls and had left over.

View attachment 206701

And here is the screen cage. You notice the polypropylene plastic cardboard sheet in the back. That started as a 96"x48" piece that I cut to fit center to the back and even on left and right.
View attachment 206702

Now the Great Stuff expanding foam! You can also see the rails I installed on the edges that were inspired by Dragon Strands Dragon Rails.

View attachment 206703

And now spray paint!

View attachment 206704

Now time to paint brush on the Air duct sealant and then sprinkle the coco coire.
The coco coire requires you add water to make it expand from the compressed brick. I had to put it in the oven for 8-10 hours at 250°F to remove the moisture.
View attachment 206705

And finally here is the finished enclosure. This picture is showing the way I keep the cage most of the time, without the front cover in place. While the screen painted black is almost invisible, it's nice to have an absolutely unobstructed view at the front.

View attachment 206706

I have even more enclosures to share with you guys.

My next post will show you how I Pimped my Reptibreeze cages. lol!

If you have any questions please don't hesitate. Your comments are welcome.

Might I add, always remember to check your safe plant list! You can find one on flchams website.

Cheers!

B88F7F96-EDE1-49AF-A47F-07C8E83BF4E2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom