My Kammer cham died!!

Psychobunny

Avid Member
After a year of owning Squee, things were fine, until a few months ago.
He stopped eating, didn't think it was very serious until a week went by, I had been hand feeding him because he had totally lost all coordination.
He could see (don't know how well) but could now catch prey.

Finally I took him out of his cage to examine him more closely.

I found 2 very large soft tumors, one on the side of his throat, the other on the oppisit side above the arm shoulder bone.
The throat tumor was obstructing his throat, so he was unable to swallow
solid food, and I had to feed him with a pipett of pureed food.

This 'force feeding" thing had him utterly miserable. so I made another vet appointment.
Day of the appointment (I had taken the day off work) and had made everything ready the night before.
I looked in on him, and he was laying dead on the bottom of his cage.

He was not black, eyes and mouth were closed, no sunken eye sockets
or patheticly thin body, and his color was actually that of when he was basking.
Seems like he suddenly just dropped!!

I put him in a tiny box and buried him in my backyard garden, right in the spot where he used to run and play.

Tears were streaming down my face, and my neighbor saw and offered her condolences.

I cleaned Squee's cage, replaced the vines and stuff, and now it's little Smidget's new home as he is growing up now.

I loved little Sguee, and feel responsible for not being proactive enough.
Though I think he was already past the point of being saved, I still feel like I let him down when he needed me the most :(

I am so upset, I have totally lost my appitite and just want to drink wine all day. :eek:

So sorry to hear this. It is hard to lose any pet, especially when you invest time and effort into them and even more at the end trying to make them better.

Sorry for your loss! Don't blame yourself it sounds like something was very wrong internally that you could not have seen or prevented. You know you did the best you could for him while he was here and that is all anyone can do.

Stan, I know the feeling quite well. My heart goes out to you during this sad time. These little guys have a way of working their way right into our hearts. I know you gave Squee a happy life while he was with you. Rest in peace little man. :(

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Unfortunately sometimes our little friends pass on and there's nothing we can really do. Don't beat yourself.up.

Stan, is so sadly about that, may be unluckly he get a pheumonia or I guess he do not eat, so turn weak causing fungi disease outbreak.

Thank you everyone, it really means a lot to me to read your kind words.

This has made me love my other guyz all the more, and realize how fragile they really are, and how their little lives can just vanish so fast.

Squee was my 'special needs' boy, and he had grown dependent on me.
When hungry, even though it was an ordeal, he would que up at his front-and-center vine all the better for me to notice.

He never hissed, puffed, or even ran away from me.

It reminded me, these are NOT just lizzards, they are complex animals, more like a monkey and a cat rolled into one little package.

I am going to miss my little Squee so bad.

I love the name so much, I decided to give it to Noodle, my wonderful little Noki boy.
So he will inherit the name Squee.

So sorry for your loss, we grow so attached to these amazing creatures and their loss is very hard. He had a very happy life with you.

Thank you everyone, it really means a lot to me to read your kind words.

This has made me love my other guyz all the more, and realize how fragile they really are, and how their little lives can just vanish so fast.

Squee was my 'special needs' boy, and he had grown dependent on me.
When hungry, even though it was an ordeal, he would que up at his front-and-center vine all the better for me to notice.

He never hissed, puffed, or even ran away from me.

It reminded me, these are NOT just lizzards, they are complex animals, more like a monkey and a cat rolled into one little package.

I am going to miss my little Squee so bad.

I love the name so much, I decided to give it to Noodle, my wonderful little Noki boy.
So he will inherit the name Squee.

I totally agree!
everyone i know is so amazed by their kind and loving nature.
It made me tear up just even reading all of this thread. I'm so sorry for your loss. You can not blame yourself for what happened. Like you said they are very coplex creatures and even the best of us have misfortune with chameleons. He was one loved chameleon and in the end that's what matters. I hope you feel better soon sweetie

Oh I am so sorry for you and so sad for the Kammer family of which I am a part. I just saw his pics recently on the their facebook page. He was really a beauty and I am so sorry you lost him especially at such a young age. RIP little Squee.

Thanks again everyone.
I have Smidget in Squee's old spot so I don't have to look at his empty cage
all the time and tear up all over again.
He was such a sweet and trusting little guy.
He must have known he really needed my help, and he never complained.

I haven't told the Kammer's yet, but when Squee was about 6 months, I could see he was different. He was a runt, and never got larger then 5''.

I think he had genetic problems from day one, but he looked perfect when the Kammer's sent him to me, so I don't blame them at all.
These things happen, and it's a risk we all take when we buy a cham, even if
it is 3 or 4 months old already.

By-by my little one :(

So sorry for your loss. I just lost my little veiled girl, so I understand what you're going through. And I agree totally. These are complex creatures and manage to have us loving them more than we realize sometimes. My condolences to you.

:( I know how hard it is to lose the special needs ones, they seem to steal your heart the most - so sorry for your loss :(
I also agree, do not beat yourself up, I have found, in dogs ( my own dobe ) and also other animals ( I do alot of critical care foster work for pups/kittens) , sometimes, by the time you "see" any lumps, bumps , their little bodies are already full of many more you could have never seen - it was heart breaking to lose Gail, but I would not give up that time of caring for her for anything ( except to have her back :( )
you loved your little guy, and I am sure he knew that ;)

Here are a few pics.
I moved Smidget from a 18'' screen cube to Squee's old home, near the window.
Squee used to spend hours looking out that window:

Attachments

• smidgnewhome01.jpg
    smidgnewhome01.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 86
  • smidgnewhome02.jpg
    smidgnewhome02.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 138
  • smidgnewhome03.jpg
    smidgnewhome03.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 80
Back