My Jackson's is Finally Eating! :)

SaiyanFury

I don't know if people here who responded to my other post about my new baby Jackson not eating, but I got him to eat today. I found the problem was a lack of light. The enclosure I have him in has thick mesh walls that don't let in a lot of light. So I installed a small 13" fluorescent fixture in his enclosure to add a large amount of light. I didn't replace his UVB fluorescent on the top of his enclosure, I just added a general fixture to aid in lighting and it worked. He ate a moth I caught outside and a good size small cricket that crawled up the side of his cage. I was elated! Now he has a great deal of light in his enclosure and I look forward to raising him to grow into a full sized male Jackson. I love my boys. :)

Thanks for the update. I have had problems with my 6 month old male Jackson eating and behavior recently but he perked up with twice daily showers (think humidity was down in his cage) and accidentally putting his cage under a second flouresent light. This second light may have been a good accidental change. Has anyone else noticed improvement with more light. My jackson only had a single reptisun 5.0 along with his 60 watt basking light.

Thanks

Thanks mczoo, he's still reluctant to eat. Although he took a few things yesterday he hasn't responded at all to food items today. I just don't get it, and truth be told I'm at the end of my rope trying to figure out this little guy. He apparently ate fine at the store I got him from, but even with the increase in light, he doesn't seem at all interested in eating. I don't get it and I'm about to bring him back to PetSmart and hopefully find another specimen somewhere else. I really like him, but if he won't eat and nothing I do or change in his husbandry has any effect on it, I can't see the point in trying to keep him.

are you sure he is not eating? mine has become very shy about it and I found that if i leave the crickets in his cage they dissappear and he keeps having bowel movement so i can only assume feeding. Unfortunatley i am somewhat of a novice and only time will tell if he does well. Good luck:)

Oh yes he's not eating anything at all. The crickets that I put in his cage are all still accounted for. His 14 day vet guarantee from PetSmart expires 1 week from today, so I'll give him until Saturday. But if I can't figure out what's wrong, and nothing seems to be, I'll have to take him back. :(

I bought my Jackson from a reptile trader at the Columbus ohio reptile show and was told he was purchased from a captive breader in Florida. If you must let him go maybe you can get one from a breader at a reptile show in florida. Even if you don't buy going to shows are great. I believe there are several shows monthly in FL

Hi.
I found that my jackson was very fond of house flies and they are recommended for picky eaters. I got the fly pupa from spiderpharm.com or the Kammers sell them too. It might be worth the try.:)

Hi Ponders, that might be worth a try. What I don't understand is PetSmart said he loved eating crickets in the store, so I'll have to figure something out. Your suggestion is duly noted, thanks. :)

Unfortunately I think Petsmart will tell you anything to make a sale. Chances are they never really watched him eat! Good luck:)

Unfortunately I think Petsmart will tell you anything to make a sale. Chances are they never really watched him eat! Good luck:)

I don't think they were trying to make a sale. When I was talking to the manager she seemed generally concerned about his health and habits. I was told to bring him back to the store and they would try to get him better. Then i would have first dibs on him again. I'll have to see what happens.

I am so happy I came across this old thread. I noticed that Al is more active when outside. Inside his cage, he partrols the perimeter and always stop is front of the barely visible window he has..so I think Im gonna grab a grow light tomorrow and add it on top. Cant hurt and will help the plants. Im hoping it will turn his "army" green into the beautiful green he showed outside today!!

Maybe this can Help Dawn who was concerned about eating..? :)

I am so happy I came across this old thread. I noticed that Al is more active when outside. Inside his cage, he partrols the perimeter and always stop is front of the barely visible window he has..so I think Im gonna grab a grow light tomorrow and add it on top. Cant hurt and will help the plants. Im hoping it will turn his "army" green into the beautiful green he showed outside today!!

Maybe this can Help Dawn who was concerned about eating..? :)

Thanks honey! ;)

She's kinda doing better today, although the last silkworm I put in, she decided she'd rather give me a stare down than eat it, from ALL the way on the other side of the room, while I was lounging on in our office on the couch trying to work some...the ultimate stare down contest cost her to loose her wormie treat, as the poor thing, mr. worm, dangled for dear life, before falling to the cage floor...she still never turned her head to notice... ::grumbles:: gosh darnit!

Back
Top Bottom