My Jacksonii Jacksonii just mated...first time breeder...need advice

Must say this forum seems quite friendly compared to other forums(not animal related). I have lurked on here for quite a while and am amazed about the amount of info on here.

If people are scared off, they are throwing away a great learning source.

58163_10151822606735898_1496341873_n.jpg

My jacksonii mated yesterday and Ive never bred Jacksons before..... Any advice for me from experience breeders? I still have the pair together...when do i separate? Do i need to give me supplements to the female? and how long before she gives birth? Do i separate the babies right away? how do i take care of the babies?

Since the picture is not of the two mating, I'm wondering whether it was taken right after you witnessed them mating or right before? I'll be extremely interested in following what happens, whether or not the mating results in viable offspring.

Perry

There is an incredibly low chance that she could have babies. For your piece of mind I would say she won't have babies.

Just because the two species in question are just that, two different species, it doesn't really say anything as to how likely or unlikely viable hybrids are. On the other hand, if these two species are known to have mated but those matings rarely or never produced viable offspring, then it would be safe to say a viable hybrid would be unlikely based on prior matings between the two species. If prior matings have occured between the two, I'd love to know about it and what the results were (viable offspring, etc.).

Perry

Since the picture is not of the two mating, I'm wondering whether it was taken right after you witnessed them mating or right before? I'll be extremely interested in following what happens, whether or not the mating results in viable offspring.

Perry

I dunno what exactly i saw but i saw a tube from the male insert into the female... Then after they were done the male retracted the tube out of the female... The tube was still moving after it came out of the female.. The next day the female was not receptive to the male and was gasping and hissing at him so i moved her to another enclosure....

Perry

This picture was taken right away before he inserted the tube into her... I have other pictures as well ... She was put into his enclosure and he jumped on her within like 5 mins

When Chameleons are shipped from Africa, and often Madagascar, you will often see various species from Africa shipped together, and, from Madagascar, multiple Locales of Panthers. As the chams are collected, they typically are kept together in areas where they are fed and watered as a group. Inter-species and inter-Local breeding takes place in these communal holding areas.

The purchase of wild caught female Nose Be females could result in hatched crosses, even if you mate her with a true Nose Be male.

I would lose no sleep over the mating of the 2 species, it is doubtful it will produce offspring, but she may be Gravid already with her being wild caught.

Regarding tone of the forum responses, sometimes the way we say something outweighs the information; being kind is a learned skill we can all improve in.

When Chameleons are shipped from Africa, and often Madagascar, you will often see various species from Africa shipped together, and, from Madagascar, multiple Locales of Panthers. As the chams are collected, they typically are kept together in areas where they are fed and watered as a group. Inter-species and inter-Local breeding takes place in these communal holding areas.

The purchase of wild caught female Nose Be females could result in hatched crosses, even if you mate her with a true Nose Be male.

I would lose no sleep over the mating of the 2 species, it is doubtful it will produce offspring, but she may be Gravid already with her being wild caught.

Regarding tone of the forum responses, sometimes the way we say something outweighs the information; being kind is a learned skill we can all improve in.

I find it hard to believe that a already gravid WC female would be receptive to a males advances, then after mating would become aggresive! Surely, if she was already gravid she would not allow the male to advance?
Is anybody able to say from genitical point of view how comparable these two species are? I would assume that finding info on these 2 species breeding together would be harder to find.
Maybe Chris Anderson?

Back
Top Bottom