My Jackson Cham ICARUS is gone!

Bush baby

Avid Member
I lost my Jackson's today!:( I had him outside in my yard, in a home made enclosure i built specifically for him to get natural sunlight. Turns out one side of the screen wasn't secured firmly enough and he found it…got out..and now he's gone.

I have a HUGE backward and have search high and low for him over the past few hours, but trying to find a chameleon in my garden would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I'm still not giving up hope (i'm actually outside typing this looking for anything that might catch my eye). I just hope a bird doesn't snatch him up.:(

Sorry to here that. I lost my Panther last week too. I'm not holding out much hope of finding him.:( I have some Jackson's that are loose in my yard and we see them from time to time. Look low in the bushes and trees in the afternoon and mornings.

Thanks, i'll keep a look out..but i'll take a miracle to recover him with the amount of greenery i have in my garden.

Go out with a flashlight after dark tonight and try to find him- they get a little lighter color at night and helps spot them in the light. Don't loose track of the spot where he dissappeared- he's probably within 10-15 yards of the spot.

Just went out there with a flash light…to no avail.

I'm going to try tomorrow morning when the sun is out, as i know he'll need to heat up in the morning…….

Don't give up! I looked for a year after my daughter's veiled went missing. Then one day, I looked up in a neighbor's tree, and there he was. They are more resilient than we give them credit for. Keep looking!:)

Stay positive. There was one guy on here not too long ago, who lost cham twice. Can't remember if two different ones, or same one twice. But he found 'em. I would search at night though, the brighter green will make spotting easier. During the day, he may turn darker, as jax like it a little cooler. You could turn some crix loose around or on each tree, and look for a pink tongue. Sometimes, they are 3" from your face and u still can't see them.

Don't give up! I looked for a year after my daughter's veiled went missing. Then one day, I looked up in a neighbor's tree, and there he was. They are more resilient than we give them credit for. Keep looking!:)

Thanks everyone…..

Bad thing is, i live in Maryland, so unless i find him before winter time, where it get's bitterly cold, he won't make it.:(

Just went out there. The sun has just come up, and i'm hoping he's looking to warm himself up.

I'll keep trying.

Dont lose hope, or beat yourself up too much.

I once had a sulcata tortoise that I would put in a pen in my yard when I got home from work. He was easiley 16" diameter too. Well, he got out (somehow), and escaped. My *tortoise* ran away. I looked for him for days. Im talking 4-5 hours a day for days. Couldnt find him ( I lived in the mountains in a forested area). Low and behold, like a month later, whos sitting in the middle of my yard?

Keep positive and don't give up. If you've got that much greenery there I doubt he would want to stray to far!

This happened to me with my first chameleon that I had 40 years ago in Ethiopia - he used to take a trip outside quite often and end up on the tree right outside the window of the house- at one point he didn't - we found him a couple of months later on the water tower - in the compound farther away but in site of the window that his plant that he spent most of his time on while in the house.
Figure that he was in the cage and probably picked a place he would rather be- as soon as he got out he most likely headed for that place - check ones within site from where he originally started - Usually they decide where they are going before they start out - Don't give up hope-

Thanks guys…

Funny how all the worst case scenarios keep running through my head.

We have a lot of Sharp Shinned Hawks that like to hunt the birds in our neighborhood. I keep thinking one of them might have snatched him up.:(

Just hang in and keep looking. Maybe you can get a few friends over to help. You have a long time until winter.

Oh no! sorry to hear about that.
It's best if you can get a bunch of people to help search.
Chances are, he didnt go very far, and found the nearest tree or high spot to climb.

Thanks everyone…

…i'm one of those people that has not been without a Chameleon for the past 20 years; so not having one to care for is driving me crazy and feels as though a piece of me is missing.

I'm going to give it another couple of weeks before purchasing another one; it's just that knowing my luck, as with everything else i loose/misplace, the moment i stop looking for it, it suddenly reveals itself….then i'll have two Chams in my possession.

When I found Charlie, he was in one of the taller trees silhouetted by the sun. Because chameleon's patterns are meant to break up the lizard's outline, a direct approach may not be effective. Instead, get low and look up. Don't look for a lizard, look for a shape. This was a common technique we used when I was in the Marine's to help identify camouflaged stuff. For example don't look for a lizard, instead look for something that does not look like a leaf. I hope this helps.

Keep looking and don't give up on little, Icarus! It is very possible you can still find him. I know others have said this but you should get others to help you. I hope and pray that he is alright and that you find him.

Back
Top Bottom