My Introduction

Nihil

How's it goin, I'm new to this forum, I figured I'd join since it seemed like a well informed bunch of Chameleon lovers...

I'm interested in purchasing some chameleons...some history about me, about 10 years ago when I was 17, I used to breed Veileds, got out of it after I was overwhelmed with too many babies to find good homes for, but it was fun. Having the internet now and being able to search all the info, it's amazing how far things have come along!

My girlfriend became interested in getting a pet lizard and after taking her to a local pet store and having her hold a Jacksons, I've convinced her to help me with another chameleon experience...

So here's some questions, I've always loved the Trioceris' I remember when I was young, I always told myself, my next chameleon was gonna be a Quadricornis or one day a Parsons, I really love the horned chameleons (and Parsons)...

Anyway...Back to questions, I'm interested in Quadricornis, Jacksonii Xantholophus, Montium, and recently came across Bradypodian Thamnobates which entrigued me as well (I've always liked the prehistoric look of the Brady's and the Trioceris)

Any insight/advice on any of this would be greatly appreciated, I'm looking for a less aggressive Cham and possibly a species that could be housed in pairs, also, smaller clutches so I can hold on to'em easier until I find good homes, and Live babies would be interesting to experience as well, Jacksons seem to be the most readily available out of my interests, I'll be attending a Reptile Show next month to see what's out there, my first in over 12 years...also I live in Oregon U.S.A.....

Thanks for your time!
Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forums! I am also in Oregon, and there is a reptile show in Medford at the Red Lion tomorrow. If you are close by, you might want to attend.. it is really rare (unheard of) for a reptile show to be this far south. I am not sure if there will be chams there or not, but it will be nice to buy bugs and wander around looking! There are some larger shows later this year in Sacramento, and if you are really up for a drive, there is a big one in Anaheim in September. I have been to the Unique Animal Expos in Portland, and there are the usual WC chams in various health conditions, and a sprinkling of decent CB animals. You will probably have more success ordering a chameleon from one of the good reputation breeders online, unless you plan to go to one of the big shows.

Most of the bradypodians can't be imported anymore due to CITES restrictions. Out of the others mentioned, the Jackson's would probably be the easiest species to reacclimate to the whole chameleon experience with. You do occasionally see CB/CH montiums and quads about, but they are still pretty rare, and fairly difficult to keep.

Heika

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forums! I am also in Oregon, and there is a reptile show in Medford at the Red Lion tomorrow. If you are close by, you might want to attend.. it is really rare (unheard of) for a reptile show to be this far south. I am not sure if there will be chams there or not, but it will be nice to buy bugs and wander around looking! There are some larger shows later this year in Sacramento, and if you are really up for a drive, there is a big one in Anaheim in September. I have been to the Unique Animal Expos in Portland, and there are the usual WC chams in various health conditions, and a sprinkling of decent CB animals. You will probably have more success ordering a chameleon from one of the good reputation breeders online, unless you plan to go to one of the big shows.

Most of the bradypodians can't be imported anymore due to CITES restrictions. Out of the others mentioned, the Jackson's would probably be the easiest species to reacclimate to the whole chameleon experience with. You do occasionally see CB/CH montiums and quads about, but they are still pretty rare, and fairly difficult to keep.

Heika

Yeah, I checked out the shows in the state, I wanted to go to that one but Medford is far, I'm in Bend (central oregon) there's one in portland Aug. 25th and I've got friends in Salem with birthdays too so that'll work ha, there's another in sept. I believe by the same association as the Medford one...I've got the list somewhere ha.

Yeah, I just recently read about the Bradys, which is a bummer, I've always liked them, they're so prehistoric looking, there's a local pet store that has a variety of species they can get, I talked to them over the phone, they said they were CB but I have a feeling they're probably WC, I've been searchin online for breeders but haven't found many, do you have any recomendations? Also.....WHAT'S WITH THE PRICING! These things are sky rocketing ha! I remember Veileds goin for 30 bucks same with Panthers and Jacksons, those 3 were the common and cheap, I can't believe Parsons! But they're soooo cool ha, anyway, thanks for the input so far!

You can never gets panther at 30 bucks!........Panther ranging from 125 to 400 depends of locale. Jackson babies ranges from 30 - 60 bucks. Veiled between 30 - 45 (all 3 species for a 2-3 months old baby).

Unless you are very very rich, Parson price range from 1750 - 2500.

FL Chams do have some WC and CH horned chameleon. You can check them up online

http://www.flchams.com/other_chameleons.asp

You can never gets panther at 30 bucks!........Panther ranging from 125 to 400 depends of locale. Jackson babies ranges from 30 - 60 bucks. Veiled between 30 - 45 (all 3 species for a 2-3 months old baby).

Unless you are very very rich, Parson price range from 1750 - 2500.

FL Chams do have some WC and CH horned chameleon. You can check them up online

http://www.flchams.com/other_chameleons.asp

Yeah, the prices I mentioned where when I was last active with Chameleons, I remember Panthers varying from 60-100 and the other prices sound about right, parsons were just being bred with little success, this was 10 years ago, everything is quite a bit different, there's a lot of different species around now, CIN is no longer, and...I've got wireless! ha

Back
Top Bottom