my frozen crickets are alive!!!

JoshCrane1

with the recent cold spell we've had here in south florida my crickets got cold, real cold. last couple nights the temps outside were 35-40 degrees and i keep my crickets outside as well. in the morning i thought they all were dead cuz they were laying there motionless, but since it was feeding day and i had nothing else i said what the hell and threw them in the feeding jugs for the chams. about an hour later i checked on them and crickets were running around like nothing happened,and my chams ate them up. cool!!!!!

so yes, crickets can survive close to freezing temps, even a couple nights straight with no heaters.

Yes it is possible to freeze or refridgerate the cricks...( found out by mistake). My part time mad scientist side messed arround with these guys for a little while. I found out that if you go longer than 48 hours you start to see crickets that are unable to properly move around. It's like the limbs die. so you get crickets that hop around in a circle.

so if you have an injured cham that might be away to make it easier to catch them cricks....

OPI

i def. figured the freezing temp was gonna kill them, but i breathed on them and i got some wiggles outa their legs.

i also found this out by accident lol locusts do it as well,the only thing is, that once i knew they revived fine i started to let them chill for a bit when i cleaned them out i get no escapees that way

Man You can revive half dead frozen circkets and I cant even keep crickets that are perfectly fine and traveled via snailmail for 2 days alive for an hour in my care! Phooey!

I live in the UK where it's ABSOLUTELY FREEZING at the minute. I found out that crickets seem to "come back to life" after forgetting a box of them I'd just bought in the car overnight. I thought I was going insane so it's reassuring to read this!

Back
Top Bottom