My ''Free Range?'' cage

joshbert

These are some pics of my ''free range'' style cage. The frame is pretty much built for easy cleaning and to hold the lights. Its not finished and i will make some modifications in the next couple of weeks while my cham is still in its juvenile cage. I wanted to see what you guys thought before i do anything more.
DSC_0114 smaller.jpg

DSC_0118 smaller.jpg

DSC_0108 smaller.jpg

DSC_0115 smaller.jpg

DSC_0117 smaller.jpg

What a great use of space - I understand you built the white framed structure but what about the whole platform near the stairs where it sits - did you build that as well or are you making use of that unusual area in your floorplan? What are you doing for mist?

Wow, very nice, arent you afraid you cham will climb down and fall down the stairs?

I was thinking the exact same thing. But as an unfinished product it looks like a wonderful idea and a great start. I'm sure he'll be working in the mist, therm, lights, etc. I'm interested on hearing how you'll deal with the proper humidity balance in an open space and not in a "single room." Espescially located in a foyet. Good luck!

The platform was already existing. I am planning on building a cham proof wall around the perimeter of the platform the cage is on (so the chameleon doesn't fall down the stairs). The cage ended up a giant (3.5x3.5x9).

I have been measuring the humidity all day. I am going to put a panther in there, so the humidity only needs to be between 40%-80% including misting. I have enough plants that the humidity varies between 45%-60% without misting. The only problem Iam having right now is the temp. The top half is between 80F-90F(good), but the bottom half is in the low to upper 70s(bad). I am going to have to put a lower temp heat lamp for the bottom half.

You at fine having low to mid 70's on the bottom half esp since the cage is 9' tall. Don't worry about it

Wow, it really is stunning. I love it. I have been considering a free range.

Out of curiosity, how do you feed crix in a free range? Those things would be all over my house!

I am interested to see how you construct the wall.
If the wood frame remains on the inside, he will be able to escape no matter how tall the wall is.

-Brad

I am going to cup feed. Thank you for your compliments! I wasn't sure if people were going to like it, or tear me apart for doing something different. What surprised me the most was how relatively "inexpensive" it was (about 100$). It cost the same amount to build a 3.5x3.5x9 cage as a store bought large screen cage.

I was thinking of possibly making a Plexiglass box around the cage with about a 1'-2' space between the wall and the cage.

Living Art

That looks really nice, It seems like that space was specifically made with a chameleon in mind;)
I'd love to see the finished product!

Free rangin'

Very well thought out. It looks like you have a drain pan that is sloped to the middle. If it is, where did you get it?
Instead of plexiglass, have you considered the green plastic 1/2 inch square netting? You can see through it, it staples to wood, and you can enclose your panther and still see him fairly inexpensively.
Keep thinking outside the box!

CHEERS!!!:D

That netting sounds good. would the chameleon be able to climb it? My dad is a civil engineer which helps a lot. He builds everything to be "bomb proof". he he.

The pan was a washing machine pan from lowes.

Not sure what you do today for a living but you've missed your calling; I see custom free range enclosures in your future :D

Most pictures of enclosures, misters,humidifiers, timers, water supplies, uv, heat - etc look like an electrocution waiting to happen with wires and water lines crisscrossing like climbing vines :) (I know it is all grounded - just making a point) - what appeals to me the most in your design are the aesthetics of it all. If planned; water and power supply could be hidden INSIDE the framing and the top could be encapsulated in a shadow box so that fixtures are accessible to replace bulbs however not visible from plain view - it has potential and like the rest I'm following this thread to see the progress.

I know I'm a noob to this particular forum but thanks again for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom