My fisrt enclosure!

Yes-that is an umbrella plant and I would switch it out for a schefflera arboricola. Umbrella plants are toxic.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/pla...owse=common&view=photo&order=compatible&ltr=U

Ahh! Well that's no good! There was now scientific name labeled on the buckets other than schefflera and "umbrella plant" and that's how i had seen them commonly listed on here, so I didn't realize there was a difference. I will definitely go look for the other kind today!

Now I'm a little concerned about my pothos, with was only listed as a golden pothos... any idea on that one?

All pothos is fine as far as I know. Here is what an Umbrella plant can do in the Florida sun!
DSCN8527.jpg

DSCN8528.jpg

Wow super tall trees!!!

So I found a tiny tag on the bottom of the plants that says "Schefflera Amate." As far as I can tell, that doesn't seem to be an abbreviation for either of the two listed in that link, and now I am just super confused... Anyone know if this is a toxic version of the schefflera?

I was wondering if those were real orchids (and if they were cham safe) they look great in there, I wish habiscus weren't so hard to keep alive (and blooming) in a cage....

everybody else covered the changes that need made, great looking setup tho!

I use hibiscus plants in Apocalypses enclosure, I have 2 so the pain in the butt part is they have to be swapped out daily (he has a yellow one and a pink) I just place them outside on the patio table to sun. Just a thought, and they are so pretty lol ;)

No one is more toxic than another, they are the same genus, just different species. The one you have is a dwarf (amate/arboricola), the super tall ones are just the large version (actinophylla)...both umbrella trees. Should be no problem unless they consume a very large quantity. :)

No one is more toxic than another, they are the same genus, just different species. The one you have is a dwarf (amate/arboricola), the super tall ones are just the large version (actinophylla)...both umbrella trees. Should be no problem unless they consume a very large quantity. :)

Ok so either the arboricola or the amate should be fine then? I picked up an arboricola today that doesn't really look much like the ones I have in the pic, so I am wondering if maybe it was mislabeled or something. The "trunks" of the new one are sturdier tho so I will probably end up switching them out and just use the old ones in the house

I would think so. Some may disagree, but as a botanist, all of the genus schefflera have the same chemical makeup. Ingesting a large quantity will cause mild toxicity. Also the sap is a skin irritant. But cham owners have been using them for ages with no problem.

Just so you all know orchids are cham safe. I have used them off and on. My problem is my chams destroy my orchids.

Back
Top Bottom