My first shed...

rotarhead

Well, Moe's first shed with me but my first time dealing with a lizard shedding (I've never really kept lizards before Moe) is starting today. I notices his skin on his legs peeling. I have a couple of questions about it, especially since I'm expecting his new cage tomorrow and want to try and set it up asap.

1)I'm assuming that shedding makes the animal a little cranky. If his cage is here and all set up would it hurt him to be moved to the new enclosure? (I'm not sure how long it takes to normally shed.)

2)Should I do anything different with his feed or increase supplements?

3)Other than misting more often, is there anything else that I need to do to help ease the shedding process?

I think that is about it. The main thing is that I want to move him into his new 24"X24"X48" enclosure as soon as possible but don't want to hurt him in the process. Especially if it isn't safe to move them while they are shedding. Thanks.

How old is he? A young cham should not take a long time to shed, he will probably be done by the time you set up the new cage.

If he is in an appropriate enclosure with proper heat and lights right now, i would leave him there until he has rubbed off the remaining skin. Mine always rubs himself on the exact same spot on the exact same branch, so taking him out of his home at this time would not be the best thing... In my opinion

How old is he? A young cham should not take a long time to shed, he will probably be done by the time you set up the new cage.

If he is in an appropriate enclosure with proper heat and lights right now, i would leave him there until he has rubbed off the remaining skin. Mine always rubs himself on the exact same spot on the exact same branch, so taking him out of his home at this time would not be the best thing... In my opinion

Not sure the age exactly but is young. He is about four inches long excluding the tail. He is currently in an exo terra terrarium (medium) which is why I want to get him into his new enclosure asap. Everything that I have read has pointed that I started off on the wrong foot but I'm doing my best to fix all of that. However, if he isn't done by the time his new enclosure is set up I guess I wouldn't hurt him to stay in the one he is in for a day or two until he is done.

I can tell you his appetite isn't affected. I started to mist his cage and he rushed to his feed cup (I though he was trying to escape the mist at first). He sat there while I misted, zero'd in on a cricket, and ate it right then and there. I must say I was a bit excited, it was my first time actually seeing him shoot that tongue out and eat.

Last edited:
Im on my Android, so i cant post the link, but have you filled in the "ask for help" form, maybe someone else can post the link. Just to make sure his current enclosure is at least suitable for now.

Im on my Android, so i cant post the link, but have you filled in the "ask for help" form, maybe someone else can post the link. Just to make sure his current enclosure is at least suitable for now.

I know what you are talking about but didn't bother filling one out since he isn't really sick right now and it was just a couple of questions about shedding. As far as the enclosure goes. I know it's not a suitable chameleon enclosure, at least not for a veiled which is why I've purchased a new enclosure for him. I thought the one he has now would work until he got bigger but reading through the forum have learned otherwise.

A few extra mistings wont hurt if the humidity is low, they can get a bit irritable and sometimes get a bit reluctant to eat while shedding, but its nothing to worry about.
If the new cage is setup, go ahead and put him in it, dont worry about upsetting him since the change of environment will have him unsettled for a little while anyway.
Expect a little restlessness and maybe less interest in food for a week or so, let it settle in its new home, try not to bother it too much until its familiar and comfortable. :)

im sure he will be fine but if you want to add a little humidity for a short time just for his shed drape a wet/moist towel on the side of his cage.

answer to your questions:

1)no
2)no
3)wet/moist towel, warm mistings, let nature do its thing.

Back
Top Bottom