My First Herp Meeting.

ChameleonRave

Avid Member
So, last night I traveled an hour away to go to the so called city (Sioux Falls, South Dakota) to meet up at a local herp meeting, talk with people, and get ideas for my Herpetological Society. Well there was this kid around 10 years old. His parents got him two Chameleons (male and female) that where likely brother and sister, the female was pitch black and looked terribly stressed, she had burns and gashes (from what I'm assuming too small of an enclosure, too hot of light and living with the male in a small 18x18x24 Exo Terra with dirt and a fake vine.. They both had MBD terribly and I felt just horrible for those animals, both beautiful and they were friendly when not on the owners hand. But holding that thing made me feel so terrible and that I felt as if I needed to just inform them as much as possible. But you can only go so far. I of course brought a long three of my six Chameleons (Adult Veiled (Darwin), Adult Panther (Dwight), and 1 year old Panther (Cortez), everyone could tell which had issues and that mine where properly cared fore. People came over and loved them to death. Had some people earlier at PetSmart asking a ton of questions on them. They are quite the lady getters. :b Well it was fun to actually experience one and the creator of it is amazingly nice as well as others. I met some really nice people, seen a bunch of bearded dragons, a dalmatian Crested Gecko, and a few other things like a BTS. Learned quite a few things and I won a "Croc Pot" which the creator made in a pottery class and gave away to people if they had the ticket that was called. I also took in four male dubia roaches since I only have females and a rescue turtle (about a year and a half, maybe even two years old). I ended up naming her Lois, and she is in a quarantine tank for the next month until she can live (if she can) with my Northern Black Knob Sawback Map Turtles. Over all it was a great experience! I know for sure what I've been missing out on. Even got invited to go with them on a trip to the Omaha Reptile Expo! I definitely got some great ideas for my local Herpetological Society.

Sounds great.

I have tried to organize something here, and its just not going to happen ;/

i havent tried but i wish there was something i could go to. i love reptiles but it seems hard to find other people who care for them. pleanty of snakes but not many others. know one guy with iguanas and another with lepord geckos :)

i havent tried but i wish there was something i could go to. i love reptiles but it seems hard to find other people who care for them. pleanty of snakes but not many others. know one guy with iguanas and another with lepord geckos :)

Yeah, the people at the pet shops just keep snakes, and one frog :rolleyes:
When I asked them if their were any groups or meetings around, were herp people could get together, they looked at me like I was crazy! I put an add on craigslist, and in a local bulletin type thing, for chameleon keepers. No one has responded :(

Maybe we could start a "club" Okiroo, we would need to find at least one more person I think to make it worth it though:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom