My first chameleon

Mango28

Hi! Next month I will buy my first chameleon (veiled). How should I choose a healthy one? I should get a male or a female? There's any spot or something that could tell me the chameleon is sick?
Thanks 😊

Hi! Next month I will buy my first chameleon (veiled). How should I choose a healthy one? I should get a male or a female? There's any spot or something that could tell me the chameleon is sick?
Thanks 😊

Another page on Healthy vs. Unhealthy from the Resources section...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/purchasing/

Which sex is entirely up to you and your future plans.
Females do require a little more care due to egg-laying (even if not bred).
Since so much of their energy is devoted to reproduction (egg-laying), females may live shorter lives than males.

Once you get everything set up or are wondering about if/ what to buy post it here and we’ll be glad to help. I’m going to side with getting a male first just because they don’t lay eggs, the laying egg process can be difficult for new keepers. But, if you want a female there are many people here that would be glad to walk you through the process.

Once you get everything set up or are wondering about if/ what to buy post it here and we’ll be glad to help. I’m going to side with getting a male first just because they don’t lay eggs, the laying egg process can be difficult for new keepers. But, if you want a female there are many people here that would be glad to walk you through the process.
Thanks! Actually I have a question. I know that chameleons need a heat source. If in my house is always warm (more than 22° C) they're still need a lamp or something?

Thanks! Actually I have a question. I know that chameleons need a heat source. If in my house is always warm (more than 22° C) they're still need a lamp or something?
Not sure what that is in farenheit but females need 80f for their basking spot and males can take up to 85f. Females need lower temps to lower the amount of eggs they produce so its important to pay attention to that.

I would still have a basking because it’s a direct source of heat. They can pick if they want to be warm or they want to go to a cooler place if that makes sense. And basking is how they digest there food. You don’t need to buy an expensive basking bulb, an incandescent without LED light will do.

Okay, so I will buy a lamp and a thermometer to be sure everything it's ok! Thank you :)

You'll need 3 kinds of light: All can be 12 hrs on/12 hrs off (cheap $5 timer). No lights at night whatsoever.
  • UVB—linear T5HO, either 5.0 or 6%
  • Basking—an old-style household incandescent is best. If not available, then household flood (not spot) or halogen flood (not spot).
  • Plant lighting: LED full-spectrum is best.
For a thermometer, a digital thermometer with probe is more accurate than a dial type, and they're very inexpensive. There are also combination digital hygrometers/thermometers with probe for about the same price as the thermometer. (I just bought 5 combo units for ~$15) ;)

Thanks...darn spellcheck!
And it didn't flag areotisun ‽ :unsure:

Google came back with...
Did you mean:
artisun artisan artison arisun

No results containing all your search terms were found.
Your search - areotisun - did not match any documents.
Suggestions:
  • Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
  • Try different keywords.
  • Try more general keywords.

1619986379953.png

:LOL:

Not sure what that is in farenheit
TIP: Google has a very useful & (IMO) intuitive conversion AI.
Just open a new browser tab and enter "f to c" or "c to f" in the URL window, and a conversion window will appear. No need to type "convert" (though it won't hurt) or to include degree symbols (°) or periods (.)

This works with just about any commonly needed/desired conversions, e.g. "kg to lb", "in to m", "gal to l" (it reads g as grams), "g to oz", etc. ;)

Back
Top Bottom