My first chameleon!

The clay pot on the bottom is for drainage catching from his dripper when im at work.

I can't tell from the picture if the drainage tray has some screen/netting on top of it, but for the sake of safety, I would put something over the pot. Chameleons can't swim and it's easy for chams (as well as feeder insects) to drown. Better safe than sorry. :)

I can't tell from the picture if the drainage tray has some screen/netting on top of it, but for the sake of safety, I would put something over the pot. Chameleons can't swim and it's easy for chams (as well as feeder insects) to drown. Better safe than sorry. :)
The tray isn’t that deep for a cham to swim, let alone drown. But external cage drainage is a must! Good job on pointing that out!

https://www.diycages.com/products/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage?variant=35995105933
Yup, def getting this one next pay day! I can always buy dragon ledges! $180 and some change for a big cage is wonderous! I hope the cage remains on sale for a while.

At the moment I dont have the ability for external drainage, but I'm hoping when I get his new cage I'll be able to do that. Funnily enough he prefers to drink from the tiny puddles in that dish or from the lowest droplet. Been introducing him to dripping from a higher point, so far, hes liking it but still has old habits of going "downstairs" for a sip.

Since he prefers that, I always keep that dish as pristine as I can.

https://www.diycages.com/products/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage?variant=35995105933
Yup, def getting this one next pay day! I can always buy dragon ledges! $180 and some change for a big cage is wonderous! I hope the cage remains on sale for a while.

At the moment I dont have the ability for external drainage, but I'm hoping when I get his new cage I'll be able to do that. Funnily enough he prefers to drink from the tiny puddles in that dish or from the lowest droplet. Been introducing him to dripping from a higher point, so far, hes liking it but still has old habits of going "downstairs" for a sip.

Since he prefers that, I always keep that dish as pristine as I can.
I say get rid of the standing water, it’s just a breeding ground for bacteria! It’d be hard to sanitize the Terra cotta because it’s so porous!

I gotcha! Should I lay repti-carpet instead so that way I can just wring it out and dry it?
Get a substrate tray (rabbit ones from tractor supply work great), and layer egg crate/lighting diffuser to build up a false bottom (sturdier than zip-tying a base together), then add a moss mat or reptile carpet. Once it fills up siphon it out or empty it

Update!
Introduced Dubia to my boy..he loves them!!

Also, anyone have a recommendation on the wattage of a chick light for a medium/small reptibreeze?

Back
Top Bottom