My first Chamaeleo namaquensis wild observation!

melanocephalum

Avid Member
Fresh off the plane from South Africa I arrived in Namibia and took the 250km drive straight to Swakopmund where I ventured into the endless sand Dunes of the Namib desert to search for
Chamaeleo namaquensis - Namaqua Chameleon.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with this species but it has been one of my dream finds to see in the field (or desert!)

Here are some images in situ of Chamaeleo namaquensis:

Chamaeleo-namaquensis_Tyrone_Ping_2016_1WM.jpg

Chamaeleo-namaquensis_Tyrone_Ping_2016-6WM.jpg

Chamaeleo-namaquensis_Tyrone_Ping_2016-8WM.jpg

I watched this animal for some time, i found a small black beetle and ushered it towards the base of the shrub and to my surprise the animal rushed down from the shrub onto the gravel plains below and attempted to eat it.

Chamaeleo-namaquensis_Tyrone_Ping_2016-3WM.jpg

Chamaeleo-namaquensis_Tyrone_Ping_2016-4WM.jpg

Thanks for looking

http://www.tyroneping.co.za/chameleons/chamaeleo-namaquensis/

Tyrone.

Oh my god! They are adorable! I love the little snack shot you got! That one is going to be my computer background for awhile

I am not surprised she/he went for the food. From what understand about their life and habitat you gotta eat when you can. Food is scarce. Amazing find, you are so lucky. Beautiful little ones. It's so amazing they have adapted so well to live in such an anti-chameleon world. But then again chameleons are the masters of adaptation <3

I am not surprised she/he went for the food. From what understand about their life and habitat you gotta eat when you can. Food is scarce. Amazing find, you are so lucky. Beautiful little ones. It's so amazing they have adapted so well to live in such an anti-chameleon world. But then again chameleons are the masters of adaptation <3

Suprisingly there is so much life in the Namib when you stop and look for it.

Back
Top Bottom