My female veiled suddenly has beautiful dark stripes and spots on a light green. Nothing has changed in the enclosure, she's just different.

MALTATHEVEILED

So out of nowhere yesterday she woke up and she decided to wear a new set of clothes, im not sure if this is a maturity sign a receptive to mating sign or something i should be worrying about and making the vet visit, she's acting pretty normal, just eating like a beast and basking, not signs of eggs yet and the soil in the enclosure is pretty diggable but im thinking on putting in the lay bin this weeks just in case, but i think she is too young i have not weigh her yet as i don't have a gram scale, she is al least 20 cm long 7 in. she's quite active and does that walk with a straight tail and loves to ambush prey. I would like to know the opinion of experimented cham keepers in case i should be worried about her sudden new look. maybe har maturity is starting to kick in? is this her new normal? thanks everyone. Also a new reddish orangie color in the back of her head is new from her.
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 14.37.08.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 14.36.21.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 14.36.03.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 14.43.53.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 14.35.39.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 14.35.25.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 14.35.00.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 14.34.07.png

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Veiled, had her for 2 months the store could not tell me the age, I assumed she was 5 months or so but no idea, she shed once a month like clockwork this two months, full shed in 3 days tops including tail and hands the body and face usually takes a day and a half or two days.
  • Handling - I handled her very little for the first two weeks mainly letting her on to a small bonsai and moving her that way to clean cage and to bask in the sun, now I’ve been hand feeding her and taking her out in my hand but no stress colors or anything.
  • Feeding - Crickets, Lobster roaches, red runner roaches, mealworms as treat when hand feeding,
  • Supplements - calcium every meal and multivitamin + d3 every 2 weeks.
  • Watering - I live I a really humid place in the world and my house is always at 40-90 so I just mist in the morning for a minute maybe less and let it dry to 40-45 all day and at night the natural humidity will rise as far as 85-90 inside the enclosure in dry season its at 68 at night. I also have a one liter dripper, I set it up in the morning before lights on and refilled maybe at 5-6 pm and let it dry up through the night, I don’t see her drinking, but her urates are runny so I think its too much hydration other wise her poop looks good and urates are white.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Custom wood enclosure with glass in the back and sides, top is screen and front door is screen, im running a bioactive setup with a lot of microfauna cleaning up. The enclosure is 1meter tall 3.2 ft, and 50 cm wide and deep 1.64 ft.
  • Lighting - From 9am to 9pm. Basking spot, t5 high output uvb long tube 10.0 reptisun I think is 20 inches long and its set up in a Carolina custom cages lights fixture, and a koval planted tank rgb plant growing light.
  • Temperature - The basking spot is always between 83-87F, I use a temperature gun and a probe for measurements. The bottom of the cage stays around 68-70 .
  • Humidity - Humidity levels are 30% - 50% during the day and at night 70-90%.
  • Plants - A ton, all live all growing all Cham safe from what I researched, mains are ficus benjamina and pathos variegata.
  • Placement - Next to a window with some light curtains, next to my bed and raised about 4 ft tall.
  • Location - Coatepec, Mexico.

I am not very familiar with females but I believe these are her "big girl" colors as some like to call it. If you havnt seen this before then yes, she is just starting to hit maturity and will soon be ready to lay eggs. @kinyonga is someone who is experienced with females and can give you a little more info then I can🙂

Welcome to the forum!

I can only see the second and sixth photo. Can you try posting th rest again please?

Never mind...now I can see them!

Last edited:
certainly here they go... thank you!! @kinyonga the one that she is looking darker i think its the last one was because of the cold mist but the first photo is the colors that she is almost all the time, since yesterday... maybe a little lighter in the dark spots and no puffing.
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 14.43.53.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 14.36.21.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 14.36.03.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 14.35.51.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 14.35.39.png

See the photo of the male sitting on the female chameleon under the title..."Male and Female Veiled Chameleons"...it shows the mustardy yellow splotches and blue dots that a receptive adult veiled female will show....
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
mmm.. no blue, kind of yellowy in some tiny specs, just dark spots and patterns, maybe in a couple of days the full colors may show?? anyways thank you very much for your input!

You'll want to slow her down or she's going to produce a large clutch of eggs soon. You want to cut her to 3 to 5 crickets every second or third day...but not all at once. Her basking temperature should be at 80F to help slow her metabolism so she won't be so hungry.

Back
Top Bottom