My female veiled not eating ?

Bulldog+ChamMum

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some valid advice.
I have had my female Veiled for approximately 3 months now!! I have never owned a chameleon or even a reptile before ? but please rest assured I done extensive research on husbandry, feeding, general care etc etc!! The problem I am having is a lot of places say different things ?
Anyways I am a little unsure of the age of my girl (Cleo). I have had her for 3 months and the place I got her from said she was approx 8-10 weeks old.
Recently she has come into her mature/sexy colours where she is showing yellows and turquoise’s and she is just beautiful!! She is ready for a boy it appears (Again I read up on this)
My concern is she hasn’t eaten for 6 days ? I have been putting different foods in her viv and nothing except 2 locusts yesterday!! I understand that reptiles can live longer than say a dog without food but I feel 6 days is a long time!! I have put a lay bin in her viv just Incase she is gravid but I thought she was to young for this just yet!! She usually loves her food and gobbles it up hence my concern!!
I can provide pictures of her and any information you guys need. Please help if nothing else just to put my mind at ease.
Thanks
Emma

Hi Emma and welcome! ? Yes, it sounds like your lady is receptive...all dressed up and looking for a man. Chams can go longer than you’d think without eating as long as still drinking. If you answer the help form questions, someone can review your husbandry and make sure all is on point. Make sure to include pics of your cham and enclosure from top to bottom.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some valid advice.
I have had my female Veiled for approximately 3 months now!! I have never owned a chameleon or even a reptile before ? but please rest assured I done extensive research on husbandry, feeding, general care etc etc!! The problem I am having is a lot of places say different things ?
Anyways I am a little unsure of the age of my girl (Cleo). I have had her for 3 months and the place I got her from said she was approx 8-10 weeks old.
Recently she has come into her mature/sexy colours where she is showing yellows and turquoise’s and she is just beautiful!! She is ready for a boy it appears (Again I read up on this)
My concern is she hasn’t eaten for 6 days ? I have been putting different foods in her viv and nothing except 2 locusts yesterday!! I understand that reptiles can live longer than say a dog without food but I feel 6 days is a long time!! I have put a lay bin in her viv just Incase she is gravid but I thought she was to young for this just yet!! She usually loves her food and gobbles it up hence my concern!!
I can provide pictures of her and any information you guys need. Please help if nothing else just to put my mind at ease.
Thanks
Emma
My female veiled dosent eat for like at least a week when laying

Thankyou for your response. I already feel a little better knowing there’s people to help before having to take her to a vet.

My chameleon:
•Female Veiled Chameleon approximately 5 months old but I query this. She has been with me the last 3 months.
•She is handled very much on her terms. I leave her door open and she makes her way onto my lap or into my hand. This may be 6 times a day, once a day or every few days!! I leave it to her to decide if she wants to come out.
•She is fed crickets and locusts at 8am and 2pm daily. Approx 5 locusts and 3 crickets each time. They are gutloaded with Apple, Cucumber, Orange, Strawberries (Dependent what I have available) dusted with calcium and/or vitamin supplements.
•Her food is dusted with repticalcium without D3 every feed. Every other Wednesday they are dusted with reptivite vitamins without D3. And every other Wednesday opposite to the vitamins they are dusted with repticalcium with D3.
•I mist her twice daily using a spray bottle. I mist for approx 3-4 minutes ensuring the leaves and branches have sufficient droplets. Myself and my partner have seen her drink.
•Her faeces is dark brown and never see any remnants of her food in it. It is well formed not runny. Her urate is white and usually she has droplets of light yellow water when I see it coming out ?
I must say she hasn’t had a poo for last 2 days guess because she’s not eating and her urate today appears yellowish.
A few weeks ago I give her a treat of 2 waxworms and her poop was slightly runny. I panicked and phoned the vet but didn’t follow through as after 2 days her poop was normal again. She hasn’t been tested for parasites.
•I bought her from a reptile place in a garden centre. I go there often for her food and they appear to love and care for their animals. I can’t give any further info than that though I’m afraid.

Husbandry:

•She has a mesh cage. H: 30” W: 16” L:16”
I will provide a picture.
•I will provide a picture of the type of lighting she has. Bulbs are Arcadia 50W UVA solar basking spotlight and Zoomed reptisun 5.0 UVB. Lights on at 7.45am lights off 7.45pm. They are on a timer so time schedule never changes.
•Basking spot approx 90 does swing tho dependent on temp of house and cage floor between 70-75. Lowest overnight temp 65. I have thermometers in her viv to measure this.
•I feel like a terrible mum. I have never measured the humidity of her cage. I thought the misting would suffice enough but I will buy a humidity measurer tomorrow.
•I don’t have live plants in her viv!! I have fake ones.
•Her cage is located in my living room next to my sofa. There is only myself, my partner and the dog here so there is not a lot going on in the house. She isn’t near any air vents, banging doors or fans. The top of the cage is 52” from the floor.
•We live in North Wales in United Kingdom.

I have attached pictures. Excuse her dark colouring today. She was grumpy because I was taking a picture. She’s having an unsociable day. I have attached pictures also of when she is happy.
9746429C-83BE-4E9F-98F6-67BCE0FB708B.jpeg
A5CEACE5-8AA6-4E8D-9237-8DBFFD213042.jpeg
AB491C08-393F-4136-A54B-D08A300F58FA.jpeg
C5D6B7A5-D210-4210-9EF3-4F875476072E.jpeg
9746429C-83BE-4E9F-98F6-67BCE0FB708B.jpeg
A5CEACE5-8AA6-4E8D-9237-8DBFFD213042.jpeg
AB491C08-393F-4136-A54B-D08A300F58FA.jpeg
C5D6B7A5-D210-4210-9EF3-4F875476072E.jpeg
FAC43377-B39E-4B2C-BB14-E15299D3CFF8.jpeg
FF4B5FB7-DF71-4D3E-981C-E0F57BBF07A5.jpeg
54B790E1-C574-4345-90F1-CA47418E8895.jpeg
8498E7B9-0889-4EF7-8DF5-B20FFBDD0868.jpeg

The problem is she hasn’t eaten for approximately 6 days except for 2 locusts yesterday. I think she has recently become receptive but I’m worried 6 days is a long time not to eat!! Any help and information to put my mind at rest would be great!! I can answer any further questions if required.
Thanks
Emma

Thankyou for your response. I already feel a little better knowing there’s people to help before having to take her to a vet.

My chameleon:
•Female Veiled Chameleon approximately 5 months old but I query this. She has been with me the last 3 months.
•She is handled very much on her terms. I leave her door open and she makes her way onto my lap or into my hand. This may be 6 times a day, once a day or every few days!! I leave it to her to decide if she wants to come out.
•She is fed crickets and locusts at 8am and 2pm daily. Approx 5 locusts and 3 crickets each time. They are gutloaded with Apple, Cucumber, Orange, Strawberries (Dependent what I have available) dusted with calcium and/or vitamin supplements.
•Her food is dusted with repticalcium without D3 every feed. Every other Wednesday they are dusted with reptivite vitamins without D3. And every other Wednesday opposite to the vitamins they are dusted with repticalcium with D3.
•I mist her twice daily using a spray bottle. I mist for approx 3-4 minutes ensuring the leaves and branches have sufficient droplets. Myself and my partner have seen her drink.
•Her faeces is dark brown and never see any remnants of her food in it. It is well formed not runny. Her urate is white and usually she has droplets of light yellow water when I see it coming out ?
I must say she hasn’t had a poo for last 2 days guess because she’s not eating and her urate today appears yellowish.
A few weeks ago I give her a treat of 2 waxworms and her poop was slightly runny. I panicked and phoned the vet but didn’t follow through as after 2 days her poop was normal again. She hasn’t been tested for parasites.
•I bought her from a reptile place in a garden centre. I go there often for her food and they appear to love and care for their animals. I can’t give any further info than that though I’m afraid.

Husbandry:

•I will provide a picture of the type of lighting she has. Bulbs are Arcadia 50W UVA solar basking spotlight and Zoomed reptisun 5.0 UVB. Lights on at 7.45am lights off 7.45pm. They are on a timer so time schedule never changes.
•Basking spot approx 90 does swing tho dependent on temp of house and cage floor between 70-75. Lowest overnight temp 65. I have thermometers in her viv to measure this.
•I feel like a terrible mum. I have never measured the humidity of her cage. I thought the misting would suffice enough but I will buy a humidity measurer tomorrow.
•I don’t have live plants in her viv!! I have fake ones.
•Her cage is located in my living room next to my sofa. There is only myself, my partner and the dog here so there is not a lot going on in the house. She isn’t near any air vents, banging doors or fans. The top of the cage is 52” from the floor.

I have attached pictures. Excuse her dark colouring today. She was grumpy because I was taking a picture. She’s having an unsociable day. I have attached pictures also of when she is happy.View attachment 270720View attachment 270721View attachment 270722View attachment 270723View attachment 270720View attachment 270721View attachment 270722View attachment 270723View attachment 270724View attachment 270725View attachment 270726View attachment 270727

The problem is she hasn’t eaten for approximately 6 days except for 2 locusts yesterday. I think she has recently become receptive but I’m worried 6 days is a long time not to eat!! Any help and information to put my mind at rest would be great!! I can answer any further questions if required.
Thanks
Emma
Thank you for your response. I have given feedback in red

My chameleon:
•Female Veiled Chameleon approximately 5 months old but I query this. She has been with me the last 3 months. She looks older than 5 months. Im not the best with age but I would say 8 months to a year.
•She is fed crickets and locusts at 8am and 2pm daily. Approx 5 locusts and 3 crickets each time. They are gutloaded with Apple, Cucumber, Orange, Strawberries (Dependent what I have available) dusted with calcium and/or vitamin supplements. Locusts are a good staple diet for them. An occasional waxworm is good as well. variety is best with chameleons. Some other main diets are Crickets, silkworms, and more.

Husbandry:

•Basking spot approx 90 does swing tho dependent on temp of house and cage floor between 70-75. Lowest overnight temp 65. I have thermometers in her viv to measure this. 90 is a bit high in my opinion. Mine has basking spots at about 85.
•I feel like a terrible mum. I have never measured the humidity of her cage. I thought the misting would suffice enough but I will buy a humidity measurer tomorrow. If you spray her twice a day for 3-4 mins, then the humidity should be fine.
•I don’t have live plants in her viv!! I have fake ones. Even If you don't have bioactive soil, you can still put potted plants inside her cage. Fake ones are fine

The answer to your question is that she's about to lay. are you informed about laying female veileds? you will need a laying bin with at least 6 inches of soil. The laying system takes anywhere from 1-3 weeks. they do it about every 3-4 months. They will eat less but are still healthy. Mine didn't eat for 2 weeks her first time laying. Also I would say cut down on the handling as it's stressful for them to go through the process.

Thank god!! I feel so much better!! Do you think she looks healthy though?
I’d say before I put the lay bin in 2 days ago she was skulking around the bottom abit!! Hasn’t really appeared to pay much attention to the lay bin!! More so to the floor around it ?

She does look healthy to me. Once she gets older she'll get more vibrant colors. Here's mine about to lay

Attachments

• IMG_3669.jpeg
    IMG_3669.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 91
She’s beautiful ?
Cleo doesn’t look like that yet though? This is her right now settling down for bed!! Once the lights go out she’s straight in her pjs.
97B1DBF4-90E0-497F-B137-4FC312CD2BB7.jpeg

She’s beautiful ?
Cleo doesn’t look like that yet though? This is her right now settling down for bed!! Once the lights go out she’s straight in her pjs. View attachment 270734
Mine is two years old. I think they stop growing at around 1 yr. I would say shes about 8 months. Sometimes they go really black (like mine) and sometimes they just have the black bars and stripes. I think it has something to do with age. The first time mine laid, she had the same colors as mine.

@NashansCamos I’m afraid you missed a few things, so sorry but I’m going to add on in bold red.

Thank you for your response. I have given feedback in red

My chameleon:
•Female Veiled Chameleon approximately 5 months old but I query this. She has been with me the last 3 months. She looks older than 5 months. Im not the best with age but I would say 8 months to a year.
•She is fed crickets and locusts at 8am and 2pm daily. Approx 5 locusts and 3 crickets each time. This is too much. At her age she should be fed once in the morning every other day. Over feeding can lead to obesity and egg laying problems. They are gutloaded with Apple, Cucumber, Orange, Strawberries (Dependent what I have available) will attach gut loading graphic along with feeder graphic to help guide. dusted with calcium and/or vitamin supplements. Locusts are a good staple diet for them. An occasional waxworm is good as well. variety is best with chameleons. Some other main diets are Crickets, silkworms, and more.
I must say she hasn’t had a poo for last 2 days guess because she’s not eating and her urate today appears yellowish. it’s always a good idea to have a fecal done to check for parasites

Husbandry:

•She has a mesh cage. H: 30” W: 16” L:16” this really is too small for an adult. Minimum size is 24x24x48” or equivalent. Will post pic that shows the size difference.
•I will provide a picture of the type of lighting she has. Bulbs are Arcadia 50W UVA solar basking spotlight and Zoomed reptisun 5.0 UVB. Lights on at 7.45am lights off 7.45pm. They are on a timer so time schedule never changes. the uvb that you have is a coil, which isn’t able to provide adequate levels unless your cham is 3” away. You need to get a linear T5HO fixture with either a 5.0 Repti sun or 6% Arcadia uvb bulb. I’d also switch out the blue bulb for an old fashioned incandescent one. Colored lights aren’t good for cham eyes.
•Basking spot approx 90 does swing tho dependent on temp of house and cage floor between 70-75. Lowest overnight temp 65. I have thermometers in her viv to measure this. 90 is a bit high in my opinion. Mine has basking spots at about 85.
•I feel like a terrible mum. I have never measured the humidity of her cage. I thought the misting would suffice enough but I will buy a humidity measurer tomorrow. If you spray her twice a day for 3-4 mins, then the humidity should be fine. knowing your humidity is important. During the day it needs to be between 30-50%. At night when cool, it can get as high as 100%. High heat+high humidity= respiratory infection.
•I don’t have live plants in her viv!! I have fake ones. Even If you don't have bioactive soil, you can still put potted plants inside her cage. Fake ones are fine You need to replace all the fake with real. Veileds like to nibble their plants and have been known to eat fake ones, which can cause impaction. Pothos is always a favorite...easy to grow, nice vines to add extra cham roads and big leaves to hide behind, drink from and nibble.
•Her cage is located in my living room next to my sofa. There is only myself, my partner and the dog here so there is not a lot going on in the house. She isn’t near any air vents, banging doors or fans. The top of the cage is 52” from the floor. this could be a bit higher. Chams feel safest when they can look down upon us and their world.
I notice the green carpet in your enclosure...I suggest getting rid of it. They are hard to keep clean and dry enough so that they don’t become a bacterial breeding ground.
I can’t see how big your lay bin is, but it needs to be at least 12x12” and with at least 9” of soil moist enough to hold a tunnel without collapsing. Most use washed play sand. Is a good idea to keep the lay bin as a permanent part of the enclosure to avoid guessing when it’s needed and the stress of moving it in/out. Once she starts to go dig in her bin, you’ll need to give her absolute privacy. I cover the visible sides of my girls enclosures with a light sheet. I have made peep holes so I can monitor their progress without them seeing me. If they see you, they may stop digging. Laying can take up to a couple of days. To avoid disturbing her, add a dripper instead of misting. Once she’s done, she’ll be back on her basking branch looking dirty and much thinner. Give her a good long misting and feed her very well for a few days.
Laying really takes a lot out of them so you’ll want to try to reduce how frequently she lays as well as clutch size. This article is a great resource for doing that. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

The answer to your question is that she's about to lay. are you informed about laying female veileds? you will need a laying bin with at least 6 inches of soil. The laying system takes anywhere from 1-3 weeks. they do it about every 3-4 months. They will eat less but are still healthy. Mine didn't eat for 2 weeks her first time laying. Also I would say cut down on the handling as it's stressful for them to go through the process.
14313831-EA3B-4B25-B6C4-0C00832F5BEA.jpeg
0BE8DF0B-8F1B-4003-9C2C-A56895D7ABAD.jpeg

5ACCF03F-50F6-47F9-94A8-C8C4C2C987A2.jpeg

Thankyou MissSkittles ?
Again I was under the impression Cleo was around 5 months old. Do you also think she is older? This is why I have been feeding her so often as I read that that was what I should be doing until she is approx 9 months old plus.
First thing tomorrow I will go and buy a bigger cage. Any recommendations on best lighting I can get online as these will be ordered tomorrow. Also a humidity gage?? What should I put on the floor instead of the carpet? Also any other plants than a Pothos? Thanks for the gutloading article also!!
Back to the basics, you don’t think my girl is unwell no?? From what you gather she is ready to lay??
thanks
Emma

Here's a great resource on plants, which have been tested with veileds, and good placement throughout the cage:

https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

I like spider plants, ferns, and umbrella plants. Although my ferns usually die - I'm trying to troubleshoot those. You might be drawn to other plants.

Thankyou MissSkittles ?
Again I was under the impression Cleo was around 5 months old. Do you also think she is older? This is why I have been feeding her so often as I read that that was what I should be doing until she is approx 9 months old plus.
First thing tomorrow I will go and buy a bigger cage. Any recommendations on best lighting I can get online as these will be ordered tomorrow. Also a humidity gage?? What should I put on the floor instead of the carpet? Also any other plants than a Pothos? Thanks for the gutloading article also!!
Back to the basics, you don’t think my girl is unwell no?? From what you gather she is ready to lay??
thanks
Emma
I have pothos, ficus, mini lemon and others in my veiled's cages

Thankyou MissSkittles ?
thanks
Emma
Hi Emma. I’m not good at determining age, but since she is looking gravid, she is old enough to start cutting back on her feedings. It won’t have any effect on any eggs she’s already produced, but hopefully will in the future and will help her stay fit & trim.
I use a Repti Sun T5HO with Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. No idea what is available in the UK, but I get all of my stuff on line, usually Amazon. Make sure the T5 is long enough to span the width of your enclosure. If you get the 24x24x48”, you’ll need the 24” fixture. Uvb bulbs do lose effectiveness over time and most need to be replaced every 6 months. Arcadia is good for one year.
I go by the plants listed on Chameleonacademy.com and have plant lights, so I use wandering Jew, prayer plant, hibiscus (not yet sure if my light is strong enough for it), nerve plant and of course, Pothos.
I’m not sure why your girl isn’t eating. She may be needing to lay. If she starts showing other signs such as staying low in the enclosure, sleeping during the day, gaping, lethargy then you need to get her to a good reptile vet. Any time husbandry hasn’t been spot on with a female, there’s risk of her getting egg bound.
You don’t need anything on the enclosure floor. Bare is easiest to keep clean. You’ll have your lay bin and could put some potted plants around it if you like. To better hand branches, vines and small plants, you could create a type of scaffolding inside the enclosure secured to the frame. In the US we have Dragon Ledges...not sure if there’s a UK equivalent.
Do keep us posted with how your girl is doing and feel free to keep asking whatever questions you have. While my experience and knowledge is quite limited, there are many members with a vast wealth of knowledge. ?

Cleo still hasn’t made any attempt to lay!! She has been in full quiet for last 4 days as I have been working long night shifts and been in bed in the day. Only briefly seen her for her misting!! She has started to eat again!! 8 locusts every other morning and she has eaten them so that’s a bonus!! Poop and urate all look normal!! New larger cage and lighting etc has arrived so will Be setting that all up tomorrow. Also going to buy some live plants!! Thinking Pothos definately. She is still not taking any interest in her lay bin that I have noticed? will attach a new pic of her. She looks rather large. Concerned about her not laying still but as this is hers and my first time don’t know if I’m just being panicky??
D8D4AAD3-A6CC-4158-9B76-B5EB4B09D94E.jpeg

Cleo still hasn’t made any attempt to lay!! She has been in full quiet for last 4 days as I have been working long night shifts and been in bed in the day. Only briefly seen her for her misting!! She has started to eat again!! 8 locusts every other morning and she has eaten them so that’s a bonus!! Poop and urate all look normal!! New larger cage and lighting etc has arrived so will Be setting that all up tomorrow. Also going to buy some live plants!! Thinking Pothos definately. She is still not taking any interest in her lay bin that I have noticed? will attach a new pic of her. She looks rather large. Concerned about her not laying still but as this is hers and my first time don’t know if I’m just being panicky??
View attachment 271011
You can tell she's definetely full of eggs. How dep is your laying bin. Also I dont handle mine at all and give them space (dont go over to their cage ect) for like a week. I would say just wait. Have you seen her digging at all?

Both of my girls took their sweet time laying - 3-4 months from when their receptive stage ended. For at least half of that time they were quite plump and I could see little egg bulges. I thought they’d never lay their eggs! Just make sure the lay bin is kept ready and keep something nearby to cover visible sides of the enclosure for when she starts to dig.

Back
Top Bottom