My female Jackson passed away last night

Alycia

Established Member
After a rough battle with yellow fungus my female Jackson passed away. We had been working with the vet. He actually thinks she had it before I got her 2 months ago. So far no one else seems to be affected by it but I'm going to be keeping a close eye on everybody.

So sorry for your loss. Is this the female that had the babies a while ago?

If you don't mind I'd like to ask you about the fungus. My chameleon was the one that started the whole study of CANV off...so I've always had an interest in it. How did they treat it? How did it look/present?

Yeah she was the one that had the babies. I noticed a spot on her when I got her that honestly looked like a bad shed. She she'd two more times and it didn't clear up so I took her to the vet. She quit eating and drinking. So the vet had me syringe feeding her reptiboost and water several times a day. Her urates started looking better but then the fungus started eating her flesh. All this happened over the course of about 2 weeks. I called the vet this morning and he wanted to do a necropsy to see what it had done to her. He didn't charge because he was trying to learn more about it. It had eaten into organs an bone. He said there was nothing we could have done for her he tried topical antifungals and baytril. It started off small then spread to her whole side. It was black brown and grey.

IMG_20171103_062918.jpg

What do you suggest I use to sanitize the enclosure I was thinking Clorox it rinse well then do the same thing again

I'm glad the babies are OK. I hope it stays that way. That's the worst I've seen it in a Jacksons chameleon.
Please tell the vet that he should contact Dr. Jean Pare (I have to look up his email address) and talk to him about it. He's studied it for years. Also Lynne Sigler at the university of Alberta at Em: [email protected]
Also the topical things don't work on their own...they need to be treated with itraconozole, ketaconozole, or another medication from that family.

Here are some links you and your vet might be interested in as well...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3811641/
https://books.google.ca/books?id=7Ai4BKhi0VUC&pg=PA217&lpg=PA217&dq=lynne.+sigler+CANV+jean+pare&source=bl&ots=IPiAlyxWq_&sig=GMsQ6IDB8xnub_RgPlnk8zTf4Fc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLuNTBnLPXAhVm0oMKHT3dDSUQ6AEIPDAG#v=onepage&q=lynne. sigler CANV jean pare&f=false
An Overview of Reptile Fungal Pathogens in the Genera Nannizziopsis, Paranannizziopsis, and Ophidiomyces | Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery
http://jcm.asm.org/content/51/10/3338.full

I commend your vet for wanting to learn more. It's turning up more and more these days.
Again I'm sorry for your loss. It's a terrible fungus.

I know that I used bleach but I'm not sure that's enough because it might need high temperatures to kill it. I do remember a mention of it doing well at certain temperatures and not at others but I can't find it in the papers right now. Sorry.

I think the first paper was finally accepted in 2003 so it's been a while.

Omg that is one of the saddest things I have heard off. Do you have pics of when it first started? That sounds extremely painful to the Cham.

Back
Top Bottom