My Facebook Status today...

Julirs

Thought I would share...

People that are either too stupid and/or do not have enough money to care for exotic animals (and get them anyways) really tick me off. :( This is coupled with the fact that people buy cute "little" animals that end up in the pound or on Craigslist when they turn into "big" animals that are costly and time consuming to raise. DO YOUR RESEARCH PEOPLE!!!

Totally agree...... I usually research for 3 to 6 months before buying an animal that I have no experience with.

I totally agree ! If only people understood how fragile and reliant on us these little guys are and not to mention how expensive the vet bills can be :eek: It is so sad to see the after effects of poor ownership.

In a perfect world people would do their research before they got anything let alone an animal but they don't. Call me a cold hearted monster but I do not get upset with it anymore. Haven't for a long time.

Put your money where your mouth is an do outreach education in the schools, get involved in your local herp club and do presentations with them in the malls or at, better yet at the reptile shows where people are buying that cheap half-dead Flapneck. There are lots of things you can do to be part of the solution not just gripe about it on the internet.

Griping on the internet gets me the quickest bang for my buck, and I agree, unfortunatley or not I do not get as upset as I used too. However, luckily I don't have to put my money out there but my time is something I am willing to give. You will soon see me at the local shows (properly sponsored) doing proper set up and care education!

In a perfect world people would do their research before they got anything let alone an animal but they don't. Call me a cold hearted monster but I do not get upset with it anymore. Haven't for a long time.

Put your money where your mouth is an do outreach education in the schools, get involved in your local herp club and do presentations with them in the malls or at, better yet at the reptile shows where people are buying that cheap half-dead Flapneck. There are lots of things you can do to be part of the solution not just gripe about it on the internet.

LIKE! Easy to agree with the op (and I join in the griping often too), but doing something about it is the only way to make it better. :)

And while I think Trace has made an excellent point, please understand my "internet griping" has been combined with working shows and educating people on chameleon care for over 3 years. In 2008 and 2009 I was spending almost a weekend a month right alongside Chris A. talking to/educating interested and potential chameleon/reptile owners.

To be honest, i was one of those people. I got my first veiled thinking that it wouldnt cost too much and i could just keep him in an aquarium. After learning more about him i ended up having to spend over 400 dollars on that little guy.

I agree I know how so many people buy their kids animals and then their kids dont want to clean up after them and then the parents dont want to clean them so then when they ask if they can return them and we cant while our store is closed they will actually put them in a cardboard box and leave it at the front door of our store...its sick! I couldnt tell you how many people will leave a box of new born baby kittens, hamsters,puppies,reptiles and whatever else...most of the time their already dead by the time we get to the store to open because the sun rises and they just cook out there its so sick and the cops wont do anything about it. I hate it so much, I always tell people everyday dont get it if ur not going to keep it and give it what it needs. :(

Yes, I totally agree. Most of my babies have been adopted from Reptile Rescues and from people on Craigslist. As long as they responsibly find a good home for their pet, it's not such a huge deal for me at least. :) But I totally understand and agree.

I totally agree with this! I can't tell you how many times I gripe to my friends about posts I see on forums about reptiles from people who just saw this super cute little animal at a pet store and just had to take it home, well now it's months or years later and the poor animal is ill and 90% of the time it's due to improper care.

Back
Top Bottom