My DYI Cage

toyotatech1

So I spent last night and today making a screen cage. It's 18x18x36, fiberglass screen. Inside I've got a pothos, hoya, spider plant and a umbrella plant. I actually sold the exo-terra tonight and came out completely even on the new setup, including the plants. Planning on adding some more vines or a heavy rope.

What do you guys think? Any other changes I should make before I bring another cham home?

IMG_9892.jpg
[/IMG]

That's an awesome set up! Have you considered making them to order for people interested in custom-built cages? It's be a good profit maker. Even if you sold them cheaper than the leading brand (like reptarium screen cages. the same size reptarium goes for over a hundred).

Check what your basking temp is under the light where your cham will sit and absorb the heat. For a young veiled it should be about 80 or so. Is that what you are getting, a veiled? The dome light seems kinda high up but then again I don't know what wattage you are using?

awesome lookin cage dude! Im going to have to post a pic of my cage that i built soon. Do you cupfeed your cham or free range? Because if you freerange ive heard that crickets can actually chew through fiberglass screen, its just what ive read. Aluminum screening is best.

That's an awesome set up! Have you considered making them to order for people interested in custom-built cages? It's be a good profit maker. Even if you sold them cheaper than the leading brand (like reptarium screen cages. the same size reptarium goes for over a hundred).

It would be a nice idea, but i am going to be loosing my garage space next month and i would want to perfect a few things. But I may consider it in the future.

Check what your basking temp is under the light where your cham will sit and absorb the heat. For a young veiled it should be about 80 or so. Is that what you are getting, a veiled? The dome light seems kinda high up but then again I don't know what wattage you are using?

Yes i will be getting a veiled. the temp at the top of the cage was reading at 82*f at the top and 72*f at the bottom . I moved the light higher because it is a 75 watt bulb and down lower it was getting to hot.

awesome lookin cage dude! Im going to have to post a pic of my cage that i built soon. Do you cupfeed your cham or free range? Because if you freerange ive heard that crickets can actually chew through fiberglass screen, its just what ive read. Aluminum screening is best.

I think i am going to go with cup feeding when i get my cham. I was going with free range but i think it would work better cup feeding. Thanks for the info on the crickets and fiber glass i will have to keep a eye out for that.

Yes i will be getting a veiled. the temp at the top of the cage was reading at 82*f at the top and 72*f at the bottom . I moved the light higher because it is a 75 watt bulb and down lower it was getting to hot.

That's why I asked the wattage. Sometimes wattage doesn't matter as much as placement and this is a perfect example! You made the adjustment. Cudos to you!

Back
Top Bottom