my chamelian

reptile biker

whats wrong

my veiled cham is about 5 months old , he seems to be really weak on his front legs, his eyes are not sunk or anything am i just worried over nothing or should i be getting him to a vet like when i have him on my hand he sems to be unable to grab or pulll himself up with his front legs he even cant lift himself with them or wont lift himself with them what should i do

Post pics, it varies too much for you to be able to describe it in a way that anyone here would be able to say how likely it is. Could you fill out the 'how to ask for help' form too? It's a pain, but it puts all the info in one place so it's easier for people to offer help.

MBD can affect the whole body. There's many signs. Can you fill out the How To Ask For Help form in the health clinic along with the pics?

It affects their whole bodies, you might just notice it first in the front legs. If that's what it is, it's most likely caused by a husbandry issue. You would benefit from completing the https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ form. Click that link, copy the questions, paste them into a reply and type your information. Be as specific as possible. Brand names of bulbs and supplements is best. Pictures of the enclosure and the animal would be extremely helpful.

this is him

tinothecham002.jpg

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled male 4.5 months old 2 month ive had him
Handling - couple of times a week
Feeding - medium locusts between 10 and 15 a day gut loaded with veg
Supplements - reptom calcium powder bsp vitamin drops powder is 3 times a week and vitamin drops are in every time we give him fresh water
Watering - see him drinking and he is misted twice a day and he has a little dripper that we see him drink from
Fecal Description - black droppings been the same since we had him no test
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - 3ft by 1 ft by 2 ft part glass and the rest wood
Lighting - 12 hours on and 12 hours off lighting normal 30 watt spot bulb ?
Temperature - 24 t0 30c
Humidity - misting and little dripper going no hygrometer as it fell off
Plants - no
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic its about half a foot from ceiling on top of another viv
Location - uk
Current Problem - the lack of use of his front legs doesnt seem to be able to pull himself up and a pic is

tinothecham002.jpg

It looks like your cham has severe MBD. Do you use a UVB light? Do you supplement with calcium with and without D3? What about a herptivite?

OMG! That looks like a severe case of metabolic bone disease! Have you been giving him calcium and UVB?

Poor guy has MBD. Chameleons need both normal heat bulbs and also UVB bulbs. If you don't have a uvb light then you need one asap. Also, you should supplement vitamin d3 twice a month. You should take him to the vet for calcium shots.

And you did not mention either uvb nor d3 in the questionnaire...

oh, poor baby..... Looks like you need a UVB light and, as noted, we need to know whether there is D3 in the calcium (you need both, calcium with and without D3...use without D3 daily, with D3 2x/month). There have been some very inspirational stories here about chameleons with MBD being brought to relative good health (the damage to the legs cannot be fixed) and being good pets. I'll find some for you, they will give you an idea of what you are facing and how much you can help your animal.

Back
Top Bottom