My chameleons personality thus far

Kryptek

Ok so I've had him for about a week or so now and his personality is different from most lizards I've owned other then a tokay. He has a very territorial temper when he's in his enclosure. It seems as soon as I open the door he's glaring at me. Over the past few days I've just put my hand in to see if he could get used to it. Well he would huff and puff and lunge at me but I never gave him the opportunity to bite me. Today I worked with him for about 45 mins, I was putting my hand in and as soon as he got irritated I would stop moving and wait. This worked for a while and eventually I got my fingers under his 2 front claws. When I got to this point he let me scoop him right up and take him out. I let him crawl around on me for a bit. Mostly on my hands so he could get used to them. After about 20 minutes I put him back in his cage and as soon as I pulled my hand away he huffed up. I'm. Just curious if this is the common temperament of veileds. The previous owner said he handled him once every week or 2 but that was it, he's about 11 months old and was wondering if he will ever come around to not being so aggressive in his enclosure.

Ok so I've had him for about a week or so now and his personality is different from most lizards I've owned other then a tokay. He has a very territorial temper when he's in his enclosure. It seems as soon as I open the door he's glaring at me. Over the past few days I've just put my hand in to see if he could get used to it. Well he would huff and puff and lunge at me but I never gave him the opportunity to bite me. Today I worked with him for about 45 mins, I was putting my hand in and as soon as he got irritated I would stop moving and wait. This worked for a while and eventually I got my fingers under his 2 front claws. When I got to this point he let me scoop him right up and take him out. I let him crawl around on me for a bit. Mostly on my hands so he could get used to them. After about 20 minutes I put him back in his cage and as soon as I pulled my hand away he huffed up. I'm. Just curious if this is the common temperament of veileds. The previous owner said he handled him once every week or 2 but that was it, he's about 11 months old and was wondering if he will ever come around to not being so aggressive in his enclosure.

Veileds are known for that temper, I would keep working with him, but instead of just letting him climb around you, take him outside , I have a couple of plants my little guy climbs all around in. Also, give him treats , like hornworms or silkworms, something different than what you are feeding on a daily basis. Also, if he is in a new enclosure let him have time to take to it. Does he hand feed at all?

I'd say to start with hand feeding, and once he takes it from your hand, the following day(s) try luring him on your hand while holding his food in the other. This usually works. If not, a day without food won't hurt him (JUST GIVE HIM WATER EVERY SINGLY DAY) and his hunger will serve as an incentive to walk onto your hand. Eventually, even if he doesn't just walk onto your hand willingly with no food for a while, he will get used to walking onto it to get food at least for one cricket (or whatever you feed him) and he will begin to associate your hand with food. This won't guarantee that he'll want to be on your hand, but make him less uneasy or uncomfortable.

Also, what you described is totally normal for chameleons. Typically, veiled chameleons are more grumpy. They also look grumpier to me. XD

I have raised veiled chams for over 16 years, and except for the rare occasion they were always aggressive while in their enclosure. It's a territorial thing. But you will usually find the become a lot more docile after you get them out. The trick is to get them out without getting bit. I find going real slow, and not over his head works best.:)

So let me ask this as I am new to Veiled Charms, I've had Polly for just shy of 3 weeks, she has shed once for me and seems happy, she has what I feel is a great enclosure but, I haven't seen her eat and she doesn't hang up top like I hear most Veils do, she will come out and walk around up top but then she usually hangs towards the bottom of her enclosure.

Is that normal to hand towards the bottom?

Polly is pretty docile, she gets nervous when I first reach in but has never shown any type of temper

I've had a male Veiled Chameleon years ago and he was always like that. Even when I did get him out he wouldn't calm down.

Well my girl Jewel seems to hate the threshold of the cage once I get her out she is cool But jumpy no fast movements she jumps, also sometimes rocks on her sticks as I approach. But I know for those few moments of huffs and puffs its worth it in the end cause she turns bright green.
Though she used to get handled an hour a day at the pet-store. So not sure if she just doesn't trust me yet?? I try feeding her worms as a treat she love those. I hope she will turn around soon.

Well my girl Jewel seems to hate the threshold of the cage once I get her out she is cool But jumpy no fast movements she jumps, also sometimes rocks on her sticks as I approach. But I know for those few moments of huffs and puffs its worth it in the end cause she turns bright green.
Though she used to get handled an hour a day at the pet-store. So not sure if she just doesn't trust me yet?? I try feeding her worms as a treat she love those. I hope she will turn around soon.

My female will not take food from my hand.

Jewel won't either but i hold each worm in between my figures. It starts to wiggle she will look at it and than her bowl. HAHA! Like put it in there and I will eat the little wiggly thing. I am Godzilla of this cage... RAWR!! It cracks me up! :)

I am fostering a male veiled about the same age as your boy and from my experience it really does have a lot to do with them getting used to you and also a bit territorial. At first my boy would be fussy but his enclosure was also really small for how big he was at the time (this was before he came into my care) and after a few months he grew comfortable enough with me to tolerate my presence and even let me be the first to hold him. Of course he has also spoiled me rotten for my first as he is SUPER docile for a veiled. Just give him time maybe, after all it has only been a week. He is still adjusting to a new face AND a new surrounding.

Of course every chameleon has their own personality, so you may just end up with a 'this is my space!' kind of guy. Like other members have said, using food to bribe him is really helpful :p and they slowly will trust you, but be patient. Its not a fast process by any means. Hope this helps and good luck!

Veileds are terrorists but more enjoyable from a personality standpoint

See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onnBMeSOP2U

I love my Osama bin Allen and he is definitely a character. He has my whole house to free range in and has a set of patrol stations that each day he visits.

He also paws at the sliding glass door when he wants to go for a walk and then I let him get into the backyard for an hour or so where he crawls up the same tree every time and has his favorite place to sun.

Also, your veiled will probably love to go for rides in the car. Just put him in the back seat and he will crawl up to the rear window. When he gets there he will walk back and forth eyeing all the traffic.

I just took Osama to Las Vegas and almost caused several accidents as people behind me saw him pacing in the rear window. That was fun.

Veileds are indeed very terratorial and aggresive, but that just adds to the complexity of their personality.
Both my veileds are quite tame, but it's on their on terms, and they do assert their attitudes something like a cat, alloof and independent, but friendly when they want to be.

When they flair up like that, as you are trying to slowly slide your hand under to move them, if you gently stroke a front leg or chin with your finger, I have found that that calms them down.

All the information posted by you guys makes alot of sense and Is almost just like mine. He will hand feed. I feed him superworms but only because I'm in a hotel and can't keep crickets or dubias. He is misted for 8 seconds every 2 hours. I have a monsoon rs400 installed in his enclosure. So from what I've read it sounds like I'm doing the right thing and on the right track to getting him out. He puffs up and gets spotted when irritated but as soon as he is out he gets super bright green and is happy. So I guess I'll get some wax worms for treats when he comes out.

Back
Top Bottom