My chameleon trying to shoot his tongue and hungry

This happened yesterday, today I notice him desperately trying to eat but he can't shoot his tongue out. He tends to get into injuries. He kept climbing the cage so much that some of his claws are missing and he puts up a fight everytime I grab him to clean his cage. I wonder if he injured his tongue? What could be rhe source of the problems.?? Will this resresolve? He used to let me hand feed him up until I accidently close the door on his tail and he won't let me go near him since and even hisses when I pick him up. My girl is very well behaved and has never gotten an injury but I think this one he may have sustained an injury and I'm worried about him

I would fill out the how to ask for help form which is a sticky and I would say it might be because he is not getting the proper supplements or bad husbandry. Fill out the form and the more experienced will answer that which i cannot. I would also recommend to do research before "handling" or buying a pet like a chameleon. Smashing tails and "grabbing" a cham are all NOT GOOD for the poor cham. I hope he is okay... ( I attached the form for you here)

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

(FILL THIS OUT)

I don't know how to respond to this besides he is very healthy. He was very small when I got him a year ago and he's grown a lot. I didn't know much about chameleons but people in Hawaii take them from the woods as pets and I didn't know that wild chameleons shouldn't be disturbed... The tail thing was an accident because I had a cricket issue when I first got him and had to pull some plants out because they were hiding in the plants. I went to retrieve them and this was my first pet chameleon and accidently did a tail slam but that was about a year ago. He is quite big and well nourished and the female is quite fat. I havent dusted my crickets for the past week, I am wondering is it is the lack of calcium
I would fill out the how to ask for help form which is a sticky and I would say it might be because he is not getting the proper supplements or bad husbandry. Fill out the form and the more experienced will answer that which i cannot. I would also recommend to do research before "handling" or buying a pet like a chameleon. Smashing tails and "grabbing" a cham are all NOT GOOD for the poor cham. I hope he is okay... ( I attached the form for you here)

Hey! Could you fill out as much information as possible from the form they just shared with you? Even if you don't know all of the answers, at least answer the ones that you do know. In all honesty all the things mentioned in the how to ask for help form are a very important part of chameleon's care and it's a little concerning that they can't be answered.

I'm not an expert, but a lot of times people here have been able to figure out where the problem may be coming from by taking a look at the chameleon's overall husbandry... and other times the problem is more complex. You claimed that he is very healthy but he is having trouble using his tongue so something must be going on....

There are a few possible reasons for his tongue problem. We can go over that later when you get a chance to fill out the form. Right now lets see if you can get some food into him.
You can try cup feeding him in a shallow cup. This is going to sound horrible but you can take the back legs off the crickets to slow them down and keep them in the cup so he can grab them with his mouth. I just grab their back legs with tweezers and that come right off. Get some calcium on them so he can have that in case low calcium is the problem.
If he won't hand feed may be you can feed him from tongs. Stand as far away as you can and try not to make eye contact.
If that won't work I have taken a plastic spoon and flipped dubia roaches on their back and held them out to feed. He should be able to grab them out of the shallow spoon. This is how I get fussy eaters to try dubia.
If you have access to a small (1CC syringe) you can squeeze bug guts into it and force feed. There is a section in the resources on how to do it. This would be a last resort. There are also some commercial force feeding diets that most reptile vets can prescribe.

I don't know how to respond to this besides he is very healthy. He was very small when I got him a year ago and he's grown a lot. I didn't know much about chameleons but people in Hawaii take them from the woods as pets and I didn't know that wild chameleons shouldn't be disturbed... The tail thing was an accident because I had a cricket issue when I first got him and had to pull some plants out because they were hiding in the plants. I went to retrieve them and this was my first pet chameleon and accidently did a tail slam but that was about a year ago. He is quite big and well nourished and the female is quite fat. I havent dusted my crickets for the past week, I am wondering is it is the lack of calcium
You can respond to that by answering each question line by line. Your Cham is defanitly not “very healthy” hence the reason for your visit today.

Jackson Chameleon maybe 1 year old. Male. Had him about 1 year.

Handling: only handle when I need to clean his cage or he gets stuck on his cage and take him down as he is missing claws.

Feeding: Anywhere between 5- 10 crickets a day.

Misting: twice a day, sometimes once a day depending on my work hours.

Fecal: Used to be once a day, but he's doing it every other day, or every three days.

History: As explained, people get them from the wild as pets in Hawaii. It became hot last summer, no water. My friend who works in the golf course hasn't seen jacksons which was unusual until he stumbled across this little guy on the ground by the monkey pod looking for water. I have had him for a year. Here is the new summer and he isn't shooting his tongue :'(

Supplements: Reptiles calcium or
Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

(FILL THIS OUT)

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:

(FILL THIS OUT)

Wild caught. I am so worried if he is going to die. There was no rain last summer and no chameleons out. I'm not sure if he would have died because it was a dry summer.people pull them out of their habitat in Hawaii and sell them for money. I just feel awful for taking him out because I didn't know... The grass was brown.
Is your Cham wild caught or captive bred?

Last edited:
Thank you
There are a few possible reasons for his tongue problem. We can go over that later when you get a chance to fill out the form. Right now lets see if you can get some food into him.
You can try cup feeding him in a shallow cup. This is going to sound horrible but you can take the back legs off the crickets to slow them down and keep them in the cup so he can grab them with his mouth. I just grab their back legs with tweezers and that come right off. Get some calcium on them so he can have that in case low calcium is the problem.
If he won't hand feed may be you can feed him from tongs. Stand as far away as you can and try not to make eye contact.
If that won't work I have taken a plastic spoon and flipped dubia roaches on their back and held them out to feed. He should be able to grab them out of the shallow spoon. This is how I get fussy eaters to try dubia.
If you have access to a small (1CC syringe) you can squeeze bug guts into it and force feed. There is a section in the resources on how to do it. This would be a last resort. There are also some commercial force feeding diets that most reptile vets can prescribe.

This happened yesterday, today I notice him desperately trying to eat but he can't shoot his tongue out. He tends to get into injuries. He kept climbing the cage so much that some of his claws are missing and he puts up a fight everytime I grab him to clean his cage. I wonder if he injured his tongue? What could be rhe source of the problems.?? Will this resresolve? He used to let me hand feed him up until I accidently close the door on his tail and he won't let me go near him since and even hisses when I pick him up. My girl is very well behaved and has never gotten an injury but I think this one he may have sustained an injury and I'm worried about him

Handling: only handle when I need to clean his cage or he gets stuck on his cage and take him down as he is missing claws.

Fecal: Used to be once a day, but he's doing it every other day, or every three days.

History: As explained, people get them from the wild as pets in Hawaii. It became hot last summer, no water. My friend who works in the golf course hasn't seen jacksons which was unusual until he stumbled across this little guy on the ground by the monkey pod looking for water. I have had him for a year. Here is the new summer and he isn't shooting his tongue :'(

I’m not expert with Jackson’s but I do need he needs much more water and humidity then what is being provided I hope he makes it! Sorry!

This is my last attempt to help you. How am I suppose to help you when you won’t even help yourself by providing the required information? For the last time, please answer all the questions on the help form. If you don’t know the answers that’s fine, just put I don’t know and we can move on from there.

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Watering - Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • IMPORTANT he come from the wild maybe he got parasite so please add description without this any help is useless: Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

And about the cage info, we need info, this part is easy to fill, be precise with the lightening (uvb) the temperature and the cage type) if possible add some picture. Also do you provide any supplement? vitamins?

Thanks help us to help you ;)

Cage Info:

Dont forget, all information are necessary because now it's like you're saying, "I have someone who really hurts somewhere in my belly, what can I do ?!" but we did not know how old he was, if he ate a poison, if he ate anything, if he hurt his sport, etc;) at the moment we can not help you with your cameleon so my only advice with your actuals informations "if you do not fill all the lines of the form as accurately as possible as best as possible, bring your cameleon to the veterinarian because the symptom you describe requires intervention otherwise in the short term, he will die got it? ;)

Also pics of the chameleon and his enclosure would help, but you really do need to fill out all the information asked for in the form. If there is anything you're not doing at the moment just state it so people here can guide you and help you correct your husbandry.

Is there an echo in here?

We are wasting time begging for the form to be filled out, this Cham has little time left. Please Take him to the vet now, he requires immediate medical intervention. We can fix your husbandry once he is stabilized.

You need more than just calcium dusting. You need both calcium with D3 and without D3. You also need to get a multivitamin for dusting. Do some research. Misting once a day is not enough also. Especially if you have no stripper set up for him to drink. Not shooting his tongue and weak claws breaking sounds a whole lot like he isn’t getting the proper nutrients and can be early MBD. Can you post pictures? Of him and your cage setup

Back
Top Bottom