My chameleon may need to lay eggs?

Mattyp9299

I think my chameleon needs to lay her first batch of eggs, she spending a lot of time looking around on the flood and looks like she’s trying to dig, She hasn’t been with a male so I know they won’t be Fertilised I’m just looking for any tips or any helpful info on what to with this as this is both are first time!

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Here is a good thread with a video https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/
Here is a blog with info on it https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

If she is indeed looking then you need to get it set up asap so that she is able to lay. Or she may become eggbound.
Thanks for the info, I’ve watched a few videos online but I just wonna be 100% with everything as I don’t want her to become eggbound

Post some recent photos of her please.
How old is she? Species?
She is a vailed chameleon,I think she’s about 6/7 months old

Attachments

• 1C4D0918-1FC5-48D6-A144-BE9E35168F92.jpeg
    1C4D0918-1FC5-48D6-A144-BE9E35168F92.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 8CF4AC88-9A0D-40AB-884D-91FE4156D0FA.jpeg
    8CF4AC88-9A0D-40AB-884D-91FE4156D0FA.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 9B6F84F9-5E40-4479-ADE7-78E3E572E5E6.jpeg
    9B6F84F9-5E40-4479-ADE7-78E3E572E5E6.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 0F3D2175-F591-4D1D-92EA-E729866D2929.jpeg
    0F3D2175-F591-4D1D-92EA-E729866D2929.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 118
Get that lay bin set up ASAP! Once she goes into it, cover her enclosure (just visible areas) and leave her to do her thing. If she sees you watching her or is disturbed, she may abandon her digging and risks getting eggbound. When she’s done, you’ll find her sitting in her basking spot, a bit dirty and a whole lot thinner. Feed and water her well and then you’ll need to limit her food and basking temps to help reduce her laying. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

I hope she can lay her eggs....she's looking pretty plump and should have had a laybin in her cage already.

Get that lay bin set up ASAP! Once she goes into it, cover her enclosure (just visible areas) and leave her to do her thing. If she sees you watching her or is disturbed, she may abandon her digging and risks getting eggbound. When she’s done, you’ll find her sitting in her basking spot, a bit dirty and a whole lot thinner. Feed and water her well and then you’ll need to limit her food and basking temps to help reduce her laying. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html
Should I keep her init over night??

It's recommended that the bin be in the cage....like the one shown in the first link @Beman provided in post #2

If you're going to use a bin that is not in the cage then it needs to be something she can be left in and not escape from ...with proper temperatures and light and a branch for her to sit on when she's not digging.

In either case she needs orivacy...and from the look of her she needs the bin ASAP...like yesterday.

It's recommended that the bin be in the cage....like the one shown in the first link @Beman provided in post #2

If you're going to use a bin that is not in the cage then it needs to be something she can be left in and not escape from ...with proper temperatures and light and a branch for her to sit on when she's not digging.

In either case she needs orivacy...and from the look of her she needs the bin ASAP...like yesterday.
She is now in one and digging away, I was getting her a Bin today like I said in my previous post I just needed to make sure I was doing it right, like do I need to leave that in her cage over night? Should I keep her lights on?

She is now in one and digging away, I was getting her a Bin today like I said in my previous post I just needed to make sure I was doing it right, like do I need to leave that in her cage over night? Should I keep her lights on?
Leave her in the bin. Keep your regular lights on/off schedule. Don’t disturb her until she’s completely done and covered the eggs.

Well I’m sure your wondering how she got on...I had a little look in last night and she was happy digging away, I woke up this morning to her burying her whole but I could just see 2 eggs that wasn’t covered yet!!

So leave her be still. When she comes up to basking you want to mist her and offer food. Don't remove the lay bin yet to retrieve the eggs in case she has more to lay still.

So leave her be still. When she comes up to basking you want to mist her and offer food. Don't remove the lay bin yet to retrieve the eggs in case she has more to lay still.
Ok cool thanks...when she comes up and is ready after eating and drinking do I need to clean the dirt off her??

At the moment she’s still burying the eggs
Yeah so as soon as she comes up water and food for her. Leave everything in place to ensure she is done before you disturb her to remove the eggs. She was very very large. But I would make the lay bin a permanent fixture in her cage. Then she will be used to it being there as well.

Back
Top Bottom