My chameleon is sick ???????

Chameleonfriend10

Hello you guys I have a chameleon I bought from wakco (Petco) to save his life he was in his enclosure pail white when I bought him I bought the best things for him to help him survive he / or she has been doing really good since .! Recently his anus became dry and got bigger and bigger and dryer I heard that it was stuck sperm does anyone have any links to this !! And now she or he is with a big belly like pregnant !! He or she (camaeleon eats and drinks water I keep his enclosure clean and nice .. I use uv lights and night uv lights for his basking . Please help I will post pictures when I’m home I stay in Los Angeles .

Attachments

• 6133CAF0-F05D-4BFE-8F51-26206525621E.jpeg
    6133CAF0-F05D-4BFE-8F51-26206525621E.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 24438C8D-4D82-42CB-9778-211F2A7EA599.jpeg
    24438C8D-4D82-42CB-9778-211F2A7EA599.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 52
  • F155DDE3-6BE6-4E01-9A94-C5A5A101F19C.jpeg
    F155DDE3-6BE6-4E01-9A94-C5A5A101F19C.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 59
  • D54DA888-63B0-4760-9920-D7446BCF7B2F.jpeg
    D54DA888-63B0-4760-9920-D7446BCF7B2F.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 56
  • C3DACB6D-4FAD-4B2F-8C42-4E6AFAFF4B87.jpeg
    C3DACB6D-4FAD-4B2F-8C42-4E6AFAFF4B87.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 6E900678-0FCF-4D6E-A225-BA4A58877571.jpeg
    6E900678-0FCF-4D6E-A225-BA4A58877571.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 57
I bought him to help him stay alive and I need help any help on vets I will appreciate it … or recommendations it will hurt to see him in bad conditions I want him or her to stay alive and if anyone can help me figure out gender Petco didn’t do a good job in selling me this animal .. with little knowledge but I had to save him I don’t think he would’ve survived with them I seen a chameleon die at Petco recently …

I bought him to help him stay alive and I need help any help on vets I will appreciate it … or recommendations it will hurt to see him in bad conditions I want him or her to stay alive and if anyone can help me figure out gender Petco didn’t do a good job in selling me this animal .. with little knowledge but I had to save him I don’t think he would’ve survived with them I seen a chameleon die at Petco recently …
So first thing, red lights are very harmful to chameleons eyes. You’re gonna want a UVB light and a basking lamp (heat light). In addition, many of the info they give you at pet stores for cham care is very in accurate as they are quite uninformed. I would fill out the husbandry review on here and let some experts review it. I can paste it in the chat for you. I would recommend a vet visit for your issue and getting a fecal done while you’re there to check for parasites. Pet stores are parasite breeding grounds. Props to you for rescuing him! Make sure to read up as they are quite complicated to care for. This is a great place to get some good info and advice.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I’m not too familiar with the coloring that can indicate whether its male or female but is it possible it’s a female and may have eggs? There are more then one Cham in some of your pictures so which one is the one your asking about?

Hi and welcome! :) So very glad that you’ve found your way here. We’d all love to help you get your handsome boy in the very best of health and make sure that you’ve got everything as perfect as possible. There is such a huge amount of false, bad and old info about caring for chameleons out there. If you answer the questions that you’ve been given (copy & paste), we can help you.
Can you manage to get a pic of the dried part of your boy’s butt? It could be a sperm plug, or it could be something else. Also, which are the most recent pics of your chameleon?

hello and yes I’ll do my best to answer these questions thanks to everyone helping (coco) my chameleon will be really happy knowing there’s support.

1.from what I remember he was a $60 veiled chameleon they did tell me he was a boy. And he has Been in my care for about 6 months now .
2.I do not often handle my chameleon Becuase I want him to enjoy his cage or enclosure. But I would say about once a week for cleaning up enclosure.
3. So his feeding consest of silk worms, crickets , super worms , and hornworms .. we do use Petco calcium powder (repti calcium).
4. He drinks water often about once a day or once every 2 days . I mist him for about 2 hrs twice a week .
5.Tempature is about 80- 85 • day and 70-80 • night .
6. Current problem is his anus is dry and stuck .

Hi and welcome! :) So very glad that you’ve found your way here. We’d all love to help you get your handsome boy in the very best of health and make sure that you’ve got everything as perfect as possible. There is such a huge amount of false, bad and old info about caring for chameleons out there. If you answer the questions that you’ve been given (copy & paste), we can help you.
Can you manage to get a pic of the dried part of your boy’s butt? It could be a sperm plug, or it could be something else. Also, which are the most recent pics of your chameleon?
Yes and all expect the baby chams that was accidental picture

Hi. Very important - does the calcium have vitamin D3? How often do you use it?
Do you have a uvb light? If so, what kind - a long tube or screw in bulb?
How often do you feed him? How many feeders do you give him each feeding?

Hello so no d3 but I can buy him products if anyone has a very good link to products I don’t want Petco products no more I bought a repti fogger and it broke 1 month later ??
He does get 2 long uvb lights that I got from Petco. I think t8 uvb but he was using t5 for a couple months . He eats every morning when he is hungry about 3-5 worms .

It’s important to see what exactly your cham’s butt looks like. There’s a couple of different things it could be. It could be a sperm plug, it could be his hemipenes (penis), intestines or a piece of poo/urate. However, since it’s been stuck there for this long, it’s really best to take him to a vet who can check and fix it. It would be too risky to do anything at home about it, other than applying a water based lubricant.
For husbandry, you need to be misting at least twice a day, for 2 minutes each time. Right before lights go on and then off are the ideal times to mist. You could also add a dripper for 15-20 minutes a day. Something as simple as a red solo cup with a pinhole in the bottom works great as a simple dripper.
You’ll need to lightly dust every feeding with this. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Calc...97682&sprefix=Zoomed+Repti+cal,aps,124&sr=8-9
Then for one feeding every other week you’ll use one of these. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...3597804&sprefix=Reptivite,aps,110&sr=8-2&th=1 OR https://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Calc...97872&sprefix=Repashy+calcium+,aps,105&sr=8-1
I’m going to advise that you read thru all of the modules here and then come back with any questions you may have. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ It’s important to have everything just so for chameleons or they run into problems.

hello and yes I’ll do my best to answer these questions thanks to everyone helping (coco) my chameleon will be really happy knowing there’s support.

1.from what I remember he was a $60 veiled chameleon they did tell me he was a boy. And he has Been in my care for about 6 months now .
2.I do not often handle my chameleon Becuase I want him to enjoy his cage or enclosure. But I would say about once a week for cleaning up enclosure.
3. So his feeding consest of silk worms, crickets , super worms , and hornworms .. we do use Petco calcium powder (repti calcium).
4. He drinks water often about once a day or once every 2 days . I mist him for about 2 hrs twice a week .
5.Tempature is about 80- 85 • day and 70-80 • night .
6. Current problem is his anus is dry and stuck .
Hiya! So your misting should be in intervals every day. I mist my cham for 1 minute in the morning right around when his lights turn on and for 1 minute during the night after his lights turn off every single day. This is important in order to maintain humidity and allow hydration. The dry anus could possibly be do to extreme dehydration but I’m not sure. Do you have a reptile dripper running in your cage so the cham has access to water regularly?

It’s important to see what exactly your cham’s butt looks like. There’s a couple of different things it could be. It could be a sperm plug, it could be his hemipenes (penis), intestines or a piece of poo/urate. However, since it’s been stuck there for this long, it’s really best to take him to a vet who can check and fix it. It would be too risky to do anything at home about it, other than applying a water based lubricant.
For husbandry, you need to be misting at least twice a day, for 2 minutes each time. Right before lights go on and then off are the ideal times to mist. You could also add a dripper for 15-20 minutes a day. Something as simple as a red solo cup with a pinhole in the bottom works great as a simple dripper.
You’ll need to lightly dust every feeding with this. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Calcium-Without-Vitamin/dp/B005FTMGYO/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1VS3L6KXV6AJQ&keywords=zoomed+repti+cal&qid=1673597682&sprefix=Zoomed+Repti+cal,aps,124&sr=8-9
Then for one feeding every other week you’ll use one of these. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptivite-Vitamin-8-Ounce/dp/B0002AQB6A/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1PMFJJPZ4L98P&keywords=reptivite+with+d3&qid=1673597804&sprefix=Reptivite,aps,110&sr=8-2&th=1 OR https://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Calcium-Plus-LoD-JAR/dp/B00DLJRMV2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1XPCS37SGLLU2&keywords=repashy+calcium+plus+lod&qid=1673597872&sprefix=Repashy+calcium+,aps,105&sr=8-1
I’m going to advise that you read thru all of the modules here and then come back with any questions you may have. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ It’s important to have everything just so for chameleons or they run into problems.
Yes I agree! A vet visit is most likely necessary.

Back
Top Bottom