my chameleon is sick

Summer-matthew

Needing Help!!! my husband and I bought a male veiled chameleon about a month ago and he shed his skin about a week and a half ago and I don't know if he fell or what but he wont use his back leg and it sticks out. over the last couple days he has refused to eat or drink. we bought him liquid calcium and after we gave it to him he threw up and he keeps his mouth wide open like he's choking. we tried to give him a worm but he just kept it in his mouth and my husband had to get it out because he started choking on it. he sleeps all day and I'm afraid he only has a few days left. ive called vets but wont give me any information. so I found this site and I'm hoping someone can help me..PLEASE!!!

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your sick Cham... Please copy/paste this form and fill it out entirely being as thorough as possible. We need to know temperatures, humidity levels, what wattage your bulbs, if your UVB bulb is compact or linear. Pictures of his enclosure and him are a great help as well.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Needing Help!!! my husband and I bought a male veiled chameleon about a month ago and he shed his skin about a week and a half ago and I don't know if he fell or what but he wont use his back leg and it sticks out. over the last couple days he has refused to eat or drink. we bought him liquid calcium and after we gave it to him he threw up and he keeps his mouth wide open like he's choking. we tried to give him a worm but he just kept it in his mouth and my husband had to get it out because he started choking on it. he sleeps all day and I'm afraid he only has a few days left. ive called vets but wont give me any information. so I found this site and I'm hoping someone can help me..PLEASE!!!
If all that is true then no one on the internet can help him. He needs a vet, preferably with Cham experience. Once you get him medical attention come back here and fill out the help form. We will review it and try to pinpoint the cause of all this.

Choking sounds like the chameleon has aspirated some liquid calcium if you force fed it... If youre not familiar with chameleon anatomy its too easy to force liquid into their lungs...

Highly recommend an exotics vet with chameleon experience. Not much you can do at this point.

43138803-B3A4-4F0A-AEAA-43755F2D88AC.png

Back
Top Bottom