MY Chameleon IS MISSING

Thank you all so much, The cage was completely latched and I tore it to pieces looking for him, it was completely intact! I will never leave My animals outside again not for a moment without constant supervision!

I used to work for the sheriff dept and crimes like these are crimes of opportunity. Impulsive people will take the chance when something catches there eye(like a bright beautiful panther). 9 times out of 10 its someone who lives very close that can observe you coming and going so dont leave any rock unturned. You mentioned there's a public place directly behind you (cemetery) so that opens up the ballpark a whole lot wider on who could of snagged him especially if he was in plain view. Make sure you tell your local authorities his value was over 500$. Im not familiar with your local laws but in my state that would mean grand theft which is a felony and puts the case ALOT higher up on detectives/task force to do lists. I'm very sorry this happened and it doesn't sound like he got out on his own. Twenty minutes wouldn't have been enough time to make it out of the yard in my opinion. Good luck and update with any info!!
This suggestion makes so much sense. Please do claim your animal as valued at more than $500 This is not a fib as a grown colorful cham of breeding age can easily be sold for that amount.
Also seems strange as another poster mentioned that someone would CLOSE the cage door after they stole him?
Do you have any families with teenagers close? This is the act of someone who did this on impluse. A seasoned thief would grab and run and to h...ll with the door.

Advise !- DO file a criminal complaint for over $500 -really good advise
DO - contact CL management to FLAG any ad for chameleons for sale in your area. Law enforcement can get involved from there.
DO - check the surrounding trees and bushes even though you don't think he got out on his own. Chams can move very quickly when they want to - they like to go UP ! If he was dropped or got away he may still be close.
DO - Post reward posters everywhere. Not just your street but farther, and in local merchadiser papers etc. Make sure you mention he is non-venomous so if someone sees him they aren't afraid to capture him. ( Even criminals won't resist a quick reward and it's worth it if they get him back to you. I once got a siamese cat back this way, she had taken her but had pangs of guilt and called me for the reward, admitted to finding her, yeah right! )

Lastly
Post reward posters at any schools or university OR PET SHOPS near you. Whoever took him will want to show off their new pet and WILL NEED TO BUY SUPPLIES TO KEEP HIM. Don't hesitate to go to the school or playgrounds to LISTEN. Kids talk to each other and this would be a big deal for the thief.

Hope you find him! DON"T GIVE UP (My cat was gone for almost 3 months But I got her back !)

Going through a similar thing myself. Lost my Cham a few weeks back. It's a horrible, helpless feeling. Although, i imagine having him stolen must add another level of pain.

Hope he turns up.

I am so sorry to hear about this. How terrible.

If there is a chance that someone opened the door and let him escape, be sure to go out and night time and look in your yard (or possibly even your neighbor's yards with permission) with a flash light. They are bright when sleeping (as you know) so they can be found easier at night, I suppose.

I hope you get him back.

We have plenty of Teens in our neighborhood and my Son is in Jr. High so He knows to listen, another breeder suggested putting up a wanted add on Craiglist to see if someone contacts me to sell Him! I may try that rout before I post my missing add! Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement it makes me feel so, Not alone!

Hope you get him back .... hate that this has happened to you! I will watch down here in Kentucky. They are right he is a distinctive fellow and would be hard to miss and to notice if someone is trying to sell.

Sorry to hear about this.
Did you check the cage really well? Around the seams where the screen is attached to the framing?
It just doesnt make sence that someone would steal him, then take the time and thought to close the door and latch both locks!!?? :confused:

Sorry to hear about this.
Did you check the cage really well? Around the seams where the screen is attached to the framing?
It just doesnt make sence that someone would steal him, then take the time and thought to close the door and latch both locks!!?? :confused:

My friend had her Iguana stolen many years back and the theives did exactly that! She didn't notice it missing right away for that very reason as everything looked fine when she glanced at the cage from out the window. To the OP, I am sorry for your situation. He is a beautiful chameleon and I hope you get him back someway, somehow.

I hope you find the person and get to punch them for this. I take my animals and my car very seriously and would not stand to have this happen. I hope you find your cham soon, without the proper care it could get sick =(

holy crap anna. i'm sorry to hear the bad news. some people are just BAD. i hope he turns up and everything is back to normal. smh

If you don't mind my asking, what part of Ohio are you in? I'm in ohio and go to the occasional reptile show and visit many pet stores as well in both Dayton and Columbus. I'll keep an eye out for you. There's actually a show in columbus this weekend someone might try to peddle him off at if it's anywhere close to you.

If you don't mind my asking, what part of Ohio are you in? I'm in ohio and go to the occasional reptile show and visit many pet stores as well in both Dayton and Columbus. I'll keep an eye out for you. There's actually a show in columbus this weekend someone might try to peddle him off at if it's anywhere close to you.

She is close, and every reptile person we know is looking for him. But there can never be too many eyes! Please join in the search. If you see him text me a picture of him. I will pm my ph # to you. If you don't text, just call me.

Laurie

I can't believe this happened that's horrible !!! Poor you :mad: I would be so upset if any of my babies went missing

Definitely watch CL and any other forums that they sell them. CL management will tell you to get lost so you'll be on your own looking there. The flyers at local pet stores about supplies is also a fantastic idea. Make sure to file a police report and like stated let them know about the value over $500. In most states it's completely different charges.

My friend had her Iguana stolen many years back and the theives did exactly that! She didn't notice it missing right away for that very reason as everything looked fine when she glanced at the cage from out the window. To the OP, I am sorry for your situation. He is a beautiful chameleon and I hope you get him back someway, somehow.

Wow! I just I just cant imagine someone can do this, such nerve and selfishness :confused:
I bet he will turn up in an ad. Someone likely will want to try and cash in on such a beautiful animal.
Is it possible that a neighbor has seen him outside before, and got ideas?
Maybe someone who lives close?

It's such a shame that we cant live our lives without fear and suspicion of others :(

Wow! I just I just cant imagine someone can do this, such nerve and selfishness :confused:
I bet he will turn up in an ad. Someone likely will want to try and cash in on such a beautiful animal.
Is it possible that a neighbor has seen him outside before, and got ideas?
Maybe someone who lives close?

It's such a shame that we cant live our lives without fear and suspicion of others :(
Yeah Bunny,
I agree.

The woman that took my siamese cat found her walking out in back of my house (she had gotten out by accident) This woman worked at a small sandwich shop a few doors away. But rather than respond to the posters I had everywhere in my neighborhood, she TOOK MY CAT HOME, and kept her for 3 months.!!!! It wasn't until I posted a reward that she called me and said she found the cat. I lived in W. Reading at the time, she took the cat to her home which was almost 40 miles away!! Just goes to show how some have NO conscience. She took the reward money even after she told me HOW she got my cat.

I was away for a couple of days, the whole time I had this thread in the back of my mind....was hoping for an update, how's the search going?

Just checking for any updates.
I am keeping my finger crossed.

What would a person, likely with no knowledge of chams, do with one??!!

I still think your best bet is to keep an eye on for sale ads, even if you have a local paper, I would check.
A non-reptile person may not know about all the reptile forums, and may try to sell him through the local paper, probably asking a high price!!??

I suspect who ever stold such a beautiful animal had dollar signs in their eyes, not wanting to keep it as a pet.

Back
Top Bottom