My chameleon is laying sideways on a branch

edward

I found recently that my chameleon is laying sideways on a branch. Any ideas why? It seems like she is basking in the mercury vapor bulb. My temps are from 70-98 degrees in the tank. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 1,877
How old is she ? They sometimes rest in really weird positions. But 98 seems to be to high for basking. You can fill the how to ask for help form so people can help you :)

My panthers will flatten out and lean sideways to get as much surface area as possible exposed to their heat lamps, sometimes. They don't quite look like what she's doing, though. They look flatter, and don't quite lay like your girl is doing. Is she acting normally, eating, drinking, etc?

She was laying out more flat before but when I opened the cage she moved into this position. She has been eating and drinking normally. Nothing different their but she just started this lean thing about 2 weeks ago!

It may be normal basking behavior. Chameleons normally flatten out and lean (as MellissaB said) to maximize surface area. Mine does so every day. Like others said, double check your temp at the basking sight. 98 is too warm if that's what it is.

My female does this too but I think shes carrying infertile eggs I always thought it was something todo with that

Looks like either rubbing of the eye or what I call "Solar Panel Basking." My Veiled does it. He puffs up a bit and turns side ways, exposing a larger surface area to the light/heat. Though, I would say that your guy/girl is rubbing their eye. My Jax does the same thing, same position and all.

Back
Top Bottom