My chameleon is dark green :(

image.jpg
my chameleon is always dark green i don’t know why I try to always make her happy by letting her do what she wants but she only every gets bright green when she’s outside someone please help :(

Looks like normal coloration but I would fill this out with detail. It looks as though you are using a compact UVB bulb which is not good for them. I can see a few additional issues as well. But we really need info to be able to make sure you were provided with the right stuff for your cham.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

It is a female veiled chameleon it’s about 2 months old I’ve had it for about 3 weeks now
I handle it once a day so it can get used to me
I feed it super Worms and crickets
I am using reptribreeze calcium without d3 and i dust about 2-3 times a week
I mist my cage 3 times a day and I’ve seen her drink water off the leaves
Her feces is amazing it’s normal I’ve done rea search of what her poop should look like and it looks the same as normal
It has never been tested for parasites
No history
CAGE INFO
It’s a screen cage 16x16x30
I am using a reptribreeze light kit with a daylight blue bulb as heating of 60ww and a repti sun 5.0 light that contains uvb and uva my local pet store has the exact same kit with the lights and everything for their Jackson chameleon
At night the temperature it’s about 65-70 and her basking spot is no lower then 80 highest is 87
I am using live plants and fake plants
My cage is located in my room about 2-3 feet off the ground there’s not really high traffic in the room
I am geographically located in Texas
My current problem is that my female veiled is dark green and only gets mint green when she is outside or when she is sleeping and lights are off

Nice looking normal cham!

Agree with filling out the form so we can catch any potential trouble with husbandry. Better safe than sorry.

Not sure how long you've had her, but it takes a while to learn how to "read" a cham's coloration. When she's more excited, very active, or stimulated by being carried into the big outdoors her color will tend to get brighter and her markings more contrasty. Is that what you meant? When she's calm and not very active her color will tend to be duller overall. It will tend to be darker (as opposed to duller) when she's actively basking to warm up or when she's cool. The lighter color while sleeping is normal.

Husbandry comments:

You should dust her food lightly with plain calcium (no added D3) every day. Calcium with D3 twice a month. You also need a herp multivitamin dust twice a month. Didn't see that listed. Herptivite is OK.

You'll need to change your UV light every 6 months. The UV radiation it produces drops off significantly at about that time.

You will need some way to monitor the cage humidity levels. It can vary a lot by the hour. It doesn't need to be constant, but you do need to pay attention to it. Check the caresheet for veileds and the general husbandry articles located under the Resources tab for more info. Be careful...the inexpensive analog humidity gauges or strips most pet shops sell aren't very accurate. Chronic dehydration is a common problem for new keepers. I suspect you will need to add more live plants to your setup. Looks pretty bare now. They will help maintain proper humidity and give your cham more cover and climbing pathways closer and farther away from the heat/lights. They don't really like being constantly in plain view. You can get better humidity gauges online from reptile supplies.

Last edited:

Agree with filling out the form so we can catch any potential trouble with husbandry. Better safe than sorry.

Not sure how long you've had her, but it takes a while to learn how to "read" a cham's coloration. When she's more excited or stimulated by being carried into the big outdoors her color will tend to get brighter and her markings more contrasty. Is that what you meant? When she's calm and not very active her color will tend to be duller overall. It will tend to be darker (as opposed to duller) when she's actively basking to warm up or when she's cool.
i already filled out the form? what else ? I answered every thing

I dont see any problem... Looks normal to me. When I take my Panther outside his colors get lighter and brighter. He also does that in his cage I noticed its when he is on the hunt.

Not sure how long you've had her, but it takes a while to learn how to "read" a cham's coloration. When she's more excited, very active, or stimulated by being carried into the big outdoors her color will tend to get brighter and her markings more contrasty. Is that what you meant? When she's calm and not very active her color will tend to be duller overall. It will tend to be darker (as opposed to duller) when she's actively basking to warm up or when she's cool. The lighter color while sleeping is normal.

Husbandry comments:

You should dust her food lightly with plain calcium (no added D3) every day. Calcium with D3 twice a month. You also need a herp multivitamin dust twice a month. Didn't see that listed. Herptivite is OK.

You'll need to change your UV light every 6 months. The UV radiation it produces drops off significantly at about that time.

You will need some way to monitor the cage humidity levels. It can vary a lot by the hour. It doesn't need to be constant, but you do need to pay attention to it. Check the caresheet for veileds and the general husbandry articles located under the Resources tab for more info. Be careful...the inexpensive analog humidity gauges or strips most pet shops sell aren't very accurate. Chronic dehydration is a common problem for new keepers. I suspect you will need to add more live plants to your setup. Looks pretty bare now. They will help maintain proper humidity and give your cham more cover and climbing pathways closer and farther away from the heat/lights. They don't really like being constantly in plain view. You can get better humidity gauges online from reptile supplies.

this song cage right now and I forgot to say I dust his super worms about 2-3 times a week and his humidity is from 50-80 no higher then 80 %

Everything that needs to be changed will be in red plz take the time to read this

It is a female veiled chameleon it’s about 2 months old I’ve had it for about 3 weeks now
she looks a lot older then 2 months looks to be at least 5 months
try and limit the amount of handling chameleons get stressed every easily from to much handling
you might want to add more of a variety to here diet. Especially high calcium feeders. For the supplement I would switch to Repashy calcium plus LoD you will put that on every feeding. Also you want to control the amount of food you feed her to control egg development. When she becomes receptive start feeding high rich calcium feeders like BSFL AND SILKWORMS
how long do you most for? You want to spray for 2 minutes
Her feces is amazing it’s normal I’ve done rea search of what her poop should look like and it looks the same as normal
I would recommend a fecal because you feed crickets
No history
CAGE INFO
your going to need a bigger cage. I gave my female a 2x2x4 cage and she’s happy. Lots of room for plants and a laying bin
I am using a reptribreeze light kit with a daylight blue bulb as heating of 60ww and a repti sun 5.0 light that contains uvb and uva my local pet store has the exact same kit with the lights and everything for their Jackson chameleon
your going to need new lights the pet store lied to you. Your going to need a t5ho fixture and get a philips plant light. Way better then the over priced blue bulbs
At night the temperature it’s about 65-70 and her basking spot is no lower then 80 highest is 87
that’s a little hot for a female you want to keep it low to control egg development I try to keep mine around 80-85
My cage is located in my room about 2-3 feet off the ground there’s not really high traffic in the room
I would recommend putting the cage on a desk. Chameleon like being up high makes them feel more safe
My current problem is that my female veiled is dark green and only gets mint green when she is outside or when she is sleeping and lights are off

as mentioned the chams will be darker during the day and be a light green while sleeping. Her color looks normal to be. Now here are some care sheets a links. If you have questions plz ask

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/
874231B1-AAD1-4260-BDA2-CADDB68C557B.jpeg
34BD6EBF-C3A9-4BEB-8DF2-677B700223F2.jpeg
D2212AF0-3B88-4FA6-B3C3-329B49C1EACB.png

Everything that needs to be changed will be in red plz take the time to read this

she looks a lot older then 2 months looks to be at least 5 months
try and limit the amount of handling chameleons get stressed every easily from to much handling
you might want to add more of a variety to here diet. Especially high calcium feeders. For the supplement I would switch to Repashy calcium plus LoD you will put that on every feeding. Also you want to control the amount of food you feed her to control egg development. When she becomes receptive start feeding high rich calcium feeders like BSFL AND SILKWORMS
how long do you most for? You want to spray for 2 minutes
I would recommend a fecal because you feed crickets
No history
CAGE INFO
your going to need a bigger cage. I gave my female a 2x2x4 cage and she’s happy. Lots of room for plants and a laying bin
your going to need new lights the pet store lied to you. Your going to need a t5ho fixture and get a philips plant light. Way better then the over priced blue bulbs
that’s a little hot for a female you want to keep it low to control egg development I try to keep mine around 80-85
I would recommend putting the cage on a desk. Chameleon like being up high makes them feel more safe

as mentioned the chams will be darker during the day and be a light green while sleeping. Her color looks normal to be. Now here are some care sheets a links. If you have questions plz ask

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/
View attachment 239737View attachment 239738View attachment 239739
ok thank you so much :) so i have to buy new lights ? And when will she start laying eggs ?

ok thank you so much :) so i have to buy new lights ? And when will she start laying eggs ?
Thanks that’s what I forgot to link you!! But yes new lights first. Mine didn’t lay eggs till she was a year old. You going to have to Pay attention to her color changes and weight gain. Also get a kitchen scale and get a weight on her at least once a month to track egg development. She will look huge when she’s full of eggs. You want to feed her smaller amounts of food about that time as well. I would feed my female every 2 days 4 small insects

Zoo Med T5 HO Reptisun Terrarium Hood 24" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8F2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_R.NlDb6KH4FBG
E558E5AF-1959-4F0A-91A5-37F616149A6F.png

Thanks that’s what I forgot to link you!! But yes new lights first. Mine didn’t lay eggs till she was a year old. You going to have to Pay attention to her color changes and weight gain. Also get a kitchen scale and get a weight on her at least once a month to track egg development. She will look huge when she’s full of eggs. You want to feed her smaller amounts of food about that time as well. I would feed my female every 2 days 4 small insects

Zoo Med T5 HO Reptisun Terrarium Hood 24" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8F2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_R.NlDb6KH4FBGView attachment 239747
Do you actually think she is 5 months she looks really really small to me :( I’m not sure

Back
Top Bottom