My Chameleon is barely eating

DaniSimon

So my Chameleon is 7 months old now and I've never had any problems feeding him about until a month ago.

At first I thought he wasn't eating because he was shedding but then when he stopped shedding he still refused to eat. Then I came onto the idea that he couldn't see properly but he ate a whole feeding bowl layer of small mealworms. I even put a live moving locust right in front of his eye and he didn't even look at it. I'm confused, someone please help 🙏

So my Chameleon is 7 months old now and I've never had any problems feeding him about until a month ago.

At first I thought he wasn't eating because he was shedding but then when he stopped shedding he still refused to eat. Then I came onto the idea that he couldn't see properly but he ate a whole feeding bowl layer of small mealworms. I even put a live moving locust right in front of his eye and he didn't even look at it. I'm confused, someone please help 🙏
The best way to ask for help initially is to copy the following into a new post. Answering each question where possible, giving as much detail as you can. Adding pictures can help too.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

My Chameleon is a male veiled chameleon from Saudi Arabia and has been in my care for about 1 and a half months.

I've never handled him before as he's never got on my hand before.

I used to feed about 7 locusts and 1 or 2 Morio worms because he's still growing. I feed the one cucumber slice and one carrot slice for 7 locusts (shared) and usually I put in a carrot in for the Morio worms every now and then.

I dip every locust in vitamin D every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. While I dip every locust in the calcium every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

I mist his cage with a normal misting/spray bottle typically used for reptiles and I spray his cage about 30mins before his lights turn off. As he comes from Saudi Arabia. I've never actually seen him drink before but I guess he mostly drinks at night.

His feces is normal (I think) coming out in small strips, always soft but not too soft. Never been tested for parasites.

I'll finish the rest tomorrow because it's really late and I cannot check the dimensions of the vivarium or the brand of the UVB bulb or heating. Hope this helps.

You said…”I feed the one cucumber slice and one carrot slice for 7 locusts (shared) and usually I put in a carrot in for the Morio worms every now and then”…you need to feed/gut load the insects better. Crickets, roaches, locust, super worms, etc should be given a wide variety of greens (dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, etc. and veggies (sweet potato , sweet red pepper, zucchini, squash, carrots, etc.) and a very small amount of fruit (berries, apple, pear, etc.).

You said….”I dip every locust in vitamin D every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday“…vitamin powder that contains a source of prEformed vitamin A and D3 should only be used lightly twice a month. You’re overdosing your chameleon.

You said…”While I dip every locust in the calcium every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday”…a phos free calcium powder should be used lightly at all feedings but the 2 feeding you use the vitamin/D3/A powder at.

Please post a photo or two of your chameleon and the cage.

Once you fill out the entire form it will be easier for us. Plus we really need pics of the chameleon and of the enclosure including the lighting on top of it. If you copy and paste the form into your reply and then fill it out we can go back through every aspect with you.

Once you fill out the entire form it will be easier for us. Plus we really need pics of the chameleon and of the enclosure including the lighting on top of it. If you copy and paste the form into your reply and then fill it out we can go back through every aspect with you.
Hello Beman, I haven't heard a reply is ages and I would like to know why Pistachio/my cham is barely eating. I've filled out his form a while ago and I didn't do it for no reason.😅. I've also noticed him gaping a few times but when I get close to him he just closes his mouth, like he wants attention or smth.

Attachments

• 20230216_182807.jpg
    20230216_182807.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230216_182800.jpg
    20230216_182800.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 55
You never answered the rest of the questions.…and they need to be answered with detail. For instance you said…”His feces is normal (I think) coming out in small strips, always soft but not too soft”…what colour are they?…are there urates there too?…what colour are the rates?

We can’t help if we don’t have good information…and even then, most of us on here are not vets and can only offer our best opinions of what to do.

i hope we can help you figure it out.

You said…”I feed the one cucumber slice and one carrot slice for 7 locusts (shared) and usually I put in a carrot in for the Morio worms every now and then”…you need to feed/gut load the insects better. Crickets, roaches, locust, super worms, etc should be given a wide variety of greens (dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, etc. and veggies (sweet potato , sweet red pepper, zucchini, squash, carrots, etc.) and a very small amount of fruit (berries, apple, pear, etc.).

You said….”I dip every locust in vitamin D every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday“…vitamin powder that contains a source of prEformed vitamin A and D3 should only be used lightly twice a month. You’re overdosing your chameleon.

You said…”While I dip every locust in the calcium every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday”…a phos free calcium powder should be used lightly at all feedings but the 2 feeding you use the vitamin/D3/A powder at.

You never answered the rest of the questions.…and they need to be answered with detail. For instance you said…”His feces is normal (I think) coming out in small strips, always soft but not too soft”…what colour are they?…are there urates there too?…what colour are the rates?

We can’t help if we don’t have good information…and even then, most of us on here are not vets and can only offer our best opinions of what to do.

i hope we can help you figure it out.
I swear I answered them I remember but I can't find it. I don't know where its gone😥

The best way to ask for help initially is to copy the following into a new post. Answering each question where possible, giving as much detail as you can. Adding pictures can help too.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------
I swear I answered them I remember but I can't find it. I don't know where its gone😥
I remember sitting in my room for hours checking everything a d writing it down I DONT KNOW I DONT KNOW

You may not have posted reply. But the form was not filled out so I could not offer additional assistance.

Here it is. Copy and paste it into a word doc this time. Fill it all out there and be detailed then copy and paste it into your reply here.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

I used the recommended supplements from a chameleon expert at the stores and he told me to use them in the way above. But then you told me I'm overdosing, and then Google told me you should use Multivitamin with D3 every once a week. I'm so confused. And can you tell me how many chameleon you've had so far please?

I used the recommended supplements from a chameleon expert at the stores and he told me to use them in the way above. But then you told me I'm overdosing, and then Google told me you should use Multivitamin with D3 every once a week. I'm so confused. And can you tell me how many chameleon you've had so far please?
You are talking to one of our extremely experienced members. She not only has had many chameleons and types but she bred them as well.

Also, she is correct you are overdosing the cham on fat soluble vitamins.

We can only help you if you let us help you. Most people in stores do not know real husbandry for chams. And with google you can get all sorts of incorrect info. While those of us here actually keep chameleons and are up to date with the most recent husbandry for them.

You want phosphorus free calcium without D3 used at all feedings. Then two times a month you will use a multivitamin instead that has calcium with D3 and Vitamin A. This would be used only 2 times say the 1st and the 15th. You need to lightly dust your feeders they should not look like powdered donuts.

If you are not sure about the supplements your using then post pics of them. But without you filling out the husbandry form we can not help you correct other aspects that you may have been given incorrect info on.

Start reading this https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Any info on that site is accurate and you can trust. Unlike 98% of the rest of the stuff you will find online about chameleons and their care.

You asked…”And can you tell me how many chameleon you've had so far please?”….can’t give you a number. I’ve kept/bred/raised chameleons for over 30 years and many species (calyptratus, panthers, parsons, oustaletis, verrucosus, Comoros island, brevs, dwarf Jackson’s, Chamaeleo Chamaeleons just to name a few…as well as bearded dragons, water dragons, cone heads, forest chameleons many species of geckos, etc… and tortoises.

Now, regarding supplements…we dust to make up for the deficiencies the feeder insects we use have compared to what the chameleons need or would have in their place of origin. We’re still not perfect with what we do…but we’re getting better all the time.

The phos free calcium used lightly on every feeding but 2 a month helps balance the phos to calcium found in most of the feeder insects we use.

The vitamin powder with the D3 and prEformed vitamin A should provide the vitamins they might be missing in the diet we provide. The vitamin
D3 and vitamin A are fat soluble and will store in the body of the chameleon and can lead to health issues if overdosed so we have to be careful with them.

D3 given only twice a month ensures that the chameleon has some in its system without overdoing it and leaves the chameleon to produce the rest of it from its exposure to the UVB light or direct sunlight we provide for it. As long as they can move in and out of the UVB, the chameleon should not produce too much D3 from its exposure to the UVB or sun but D3 from supplements can lead to an overdose.

Vitamin A comes in two forms…prEformed (retinol) and prOformed (beta carotene). The prEformed is ready to go and can build up in the system but the prOfromed can’t because it’s converted to vitamin A as needed by the body. Now, there’s one more issue with the prOfromed vitamin A…it’s not known if all or any chameleons can convert it or how well they can convert it if they can.

Now…it’s important to keep the insects healthy for the chameleon…so you want to feed them/gutload them well too. For crickets, roaches, locusts, super worms, etc it’s advised to use greens such as dandelions, kale, collards, endive, etc and veggies such as sweet red pepper, sweet potato, squash, zucchini, carrots, etc. Other insects such as silk worms will have special diets…of course.

I hope this helps.

This still doesn’t solve the issue of not eating much. We still need information on colour of the rates, basking temperature, lights being used, etc.
Most of us are not vets, so we can only offer our best opinions/guesses and a vet visit might still be needed.

Last edited:
Get a grip, you either want to help your chameleon or you don't. If you do, filling out the forms should be no problem. Don't start lashing out at people offering you free experienced advice.

Get a grip, you either want to help your chameleon or you don't. If you do, filling out the forms should be no problem. Don't start lashing out at people offering you free experienced advice.
Comments like this do not help... Their question is one we see a lot. People go other places and get incorrect info. They come here and do not understand why our feedback is very different. Please remember to treat people the way you would want to be treated here as a new member. Otherwise if we are mean in our responses in the end the chameleons are the ones that suffer and die because people leave when they feel attacked. Kindness is the approach we prefer to use in the forum.

Back
Top Bottom