My chameleon has been stressed and black since I got him

jon36992002

I just bought a veiled chameleon and he has been black and stressed since I got him in his cage. He was green for a hour ride back from the expo, and green while he sat on a philodendron as he set up his cage. He turned black about an hour after getting in the cage and has stayed that way for about a day and 1/2 (although not entirely constantly). He is in a 24x24x48 cage with a cut leaf philodendron and a sandblasted grape vine. I've misted and fed him, and I've been keeping the temp around 80-85 and the humidity 50-60%. Should I be concerned?

Sorry didnt use this help rubric

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon about 4 -6 months old, had him about 1 1/2 days
Handling - Never
Feeding - several Small Crickets this morning
Supplements - I have herpivite and a mineral supplement, but have yet to use them
Watering - Misting, two - three times a day, drip system. Have not seen him drink yet, but I am trying to give him privacy to adjust his new environment
Fecal Description - pretty even glossy brown
History - Just bought him from the breeder

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 24x24x48 screen cage
Lighting - 1 dome light with heat lamp, 1 reptisun 10.0
Temperature -80-85, around 90-95 near basking light
Humidity - Around 55-65% using a digital hygrometer
Plants - 1 cut leat philodendron
Placement -In the corner of our kitchen, which is the least used room in our apartment. There is a celling fan in that room which runs occasionally
Location - WV

Current Problem - He has been black for a day

Can you take some pics so we can see what your setup looks like??
Also, I think your basking area is to hot. It should be around 80-85 degrees at the hottest. What's the wattage of your bulb?
Natalie

chameleon.jpg

I turned off the basking light to let it cool down a little. It was a 100w infrared bulb. Should I move it up higher than the cage to still give him a place to bask?

Hi, you need more plants so that he can hide if he needs to. check out some other members setups. Also, don't use an infrared bulb..they are much hot. Use a common house bulb of 50-60 watts at the most to make his basking area 80-85.You might have to experiment with different wats in order to achieve the correct temp..some people use a watt as low as 25 watts. Hope this helps.
Natalie

I'd take the light off the cage. It gets hot and heats the mesh. As they often like to try to walk on the ceiling, that's an invitation to a burn. If you can't hang it above the cage, then you can put coffee cups or other "heat resistant" things on the cage and set the light on them. That will also help drop your basking temp.

IMHO you need to remove and replace the plant. The philodendron plant is toxic...binds calcium...burns the tongue. Not saying that this is the reason for his coloration.

(I am the other owner of this same chameleon, so I'm following up on Jon36992002's post)

cham1.jpg

cham2.jpg

Philodendron is listed as a Safe Plant, according to FLChams, which is why we have it in there.

On Sunday, we bought some fake vines and sort fo wove them throughout the cage (securing them to the sides and tops), so he has more places to climb and fell more secure.

Jon replaced the bulbs to a much lower wattage, so the tempreture seems much more appropriate now.

We have been handling him everyday, for about five minutes. He does turn green when we hold him, and sometimes he'll puff up. Sometimes colour comes through, but other times it's just green. So we don't really know if it's pure intimidation, or if there is some comfort. He usually turns back to black once returned to his cage. However, today when we returned him to his cage, he turned green immediately. I hope this means he's getting more comfortable.

We do set a large piece of cardbard near his cage, for another level of privacy from us, but far enough from the actual cage that he gets air flow.

Your setup is looking much better...I don't own a veiled but from my experience...green color is good color...so she must be a little happier in her home if she is no longer black...that's a good thing :):):)

My New guy was dark for about a week after picking him up at a show. Hes just starting to come around now. Some times it just takes them time, but def keep an eye on him just in case, And leave him be so he can get used to his new setup

You might consider raising the cage up (I know...you just raised the lights! Sorry!) a foot or so. It's better if the top of the cage is a bit above your eye level. They like to be able to look down on everyone else.

You can replace the philodendron which is toxic with another great houseplant that grows with lots of vines,the pothos plant, they look similar to a philodendron but they are nontoxic.

Back
Top Bottom