My chameleon doesn’t want to go in cage

Motheroflizards

Hi all, I have had my veiled chameleon for about 3 months. She has come out of his cage almost everyday, but now she basically begs to come out and refuses to go back in... I don’t mind her being out and hanging out (I love it) I just know she needs to sleep and get what she needs in her enclosure

If she's out of the cage just hanging out with you then she's not getting the proper UVB light she needs ...unless you are outside or under a UVB light yourself. Are the room temperatures suitable for her outside of her cages?

Sit her on a stick and place the stick in her cage and shut the door to get her back inside.

Last edited:
Kinyonga's advise is always good and worth listening to.
Sometimes when the cage conditions are too hot or have other problems chameleons will even dig to try to get out. It is worth considering weather or not your cage is set up properly. Veiled need a loot of UVB to avoid metabolic bone disease so time under the lights is key. If time out of the cage has to happen then natural sunlight is better than room lighting that provides nothing.
You might want to answer a few questions so folks here can help you better.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Since I’ve been working from home, I’ve been letting my veiled out a lot more. He doesn’t want to go in his cage not because of the climate inside his cage, but because he wants to climb all over my wall decor. He particularly enjoys the massive dream catcher above his cage.
He spends his mornings on top of his cage eating his crix with the proper vitamins schedule. Then hangs out by his light on top of the cage. Once he’s nice and energized he sets out on an adventure usually to find a good plant by the window or under the ceiling fan to cool off. Then around 4 we got outside, I have happy hour and he has sunny hour where he sunbathes on the top of my sunflowers. Repeat. I do put him in his cage daily for water, but I’ve also been feeding him more horn worms since they’re high in water. I also live in a more humid climate so I can get away without misting as often. If it’s overcast, he’ll seek out his lighting from the cage, but not go inside of course.

Not looking for any criticisms on my Cham parenting. We’ve been doing this since March and he’s living his best life.

Attachments

• 4214762E-C6D6-463E-8FF5-B914F1E7C24C.jpeg
    4214762E-C6D6-463E-8FF5-B914F1E7C24C.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 91
  • BA646243-F132-4C69-8FC3-EB0DDF229C37.jpeg
    BA646243-F132-4C69-8FC3-EB0DDF229C37.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 90
I do not understand the general theme of coming here and posting and not being open to any feedback. I am seeing it a lot lately and it is really pointless to post your thoughts if your going to snap at members or say not looking for critique.

If it were me I would want someone to point out areas of improvement for the sake of my chameleon. What you think may be good for them does not mean it is. This is where being open to any feedback is beneficial.

You are coming into a forum with experienced keepers that have an in depth knowledge of chameleons husbandry needs. To not take advantage of the people here with experience is very unfortunate IMO.

Since I’ve been working from home, I’ve been letting my veiled out a lot more. He doesn’t want to go in his cage not because of the climate inside his cage, but because he wants to climb all over my wall decor. He particularly enjoys the massive dream catcher above his cage.
He spends his mornings on top of his cage eating his crix with the proper vitamins schedule. Then hangs out by his light on top of the cage. Once he’s nice and energized he sets out on an adventure usually to find a good plant by the window or under the ceiling fan to cool off. Then around 4 we got outside, I have happy hour and he has sunny hour where he sunbathes on the top of my sunflowers. Repeat. I do put him in his cage daily for water, but I’ve also been feeding him more horn worms since they’re high in water. I also live in a more humid climate so I can get away without misting as often. If it’s overcast, he’ll seek out his lighting from the cage, but not go inside of course.

Not looking for any criticisms on my Cham parenting. We’ve been doing this since March and he’s living his best life.
@Beman is right. Why are you posting on a public forum full of very knowlegable people not looking for feedback? Whats the point?

Also how do you know that your lighting and supplements are right? We know because we have gotten feedback from people who have done feild research and have had chams that live 7yrs+.

Are you an expert? have you been to yemen or madagascar? Have you dm'ed a chameleon expert to make sure your husbandry is on point?

Also just because you've had him for 6 months dosent mean that he's healthy. Some health problems can take years to develop.

So please, tell us what your lighting and supplement schedule is. because based on your descriptions ("hangs out on the top of his cage by the lights" - burn risk?) i'm betting it will be wrong.
Also if he is out of his cage and not in direct sunlight he isn't getting correct uvb.

I just wanted to repeat what others have said. There are a lot of experienced chameleon owners/breeders/veterinarians on this forum. Over the years members this forum alone gave saved countless chameleons lives, or at least extended their life.

Usually a chameleon wanting to come out of their cage can be a big indication that something about the husbandry could be improved. Your post, although not directly, seems to be asking for help in this situation.

The best way to get help is to fill out this information (with pictures of your cham + enclosure) and be open for feedback from members on this forum.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom