my chameleon constantly falls

You said you waved the UV lampata...do you mean you quit using it??
I'm not a vet so this is just my opinion...but I would not stop the UVB....as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it I don't think it will hurt him. I also would dust with a phos.-free calcium at almost every feeding and use a good gutload.

Did the vet do blood work to see how the calcium levels are?

Vet chooses not to take his blood because the animal is weak and this can be fatal. The lamp had ceased entirely, but I put it again. Now it's on a diet of foods with vitamin A. There is currently no change, but his stools are very liquid and the smell is much more than usual. I do not know what that means, I hope to be purged. I give him lots of water.

Because I read that in hypervitaminosis should be taken vitamin A that helps to clear the accumulated calcium.Vet dared not take his blood and his theory of an increased calcium based on what i gave him as the mode of raising chameleon. According to how much and what kind of vitamins I give. So, with vitamin A is trying to treat elevated calcium level. Do you have other suggestions?

make sure he is not dehydrated as mine would fall because of this. imagine being dehydrated and trying to walk on a branch!!!! a good warm soak helps make sure the temperature is 85 or so so its not a shock

You said that in "hypervitaminosis should be taken vitamin A that helps to clear the accumulated calcium" hypervitaminosis means too much of a vitamin...but you are not saying too much of what vitamin you are saying that the accumulation is calcium (a mineral). If your chameleon has hypervitaminosis D then vitamin A might help.

One site says.."I use it carefully to elevate vitamin A levels. I sometimes use it to treat vitamin D toxicosis"....
http://web.archive.org/web/20060502...rnals.com/vet/index.php?show=5.Vitamin.A.html

Calcium is hard to overdose unless you overdo D3 from supplements from what I've read. The Reptocal has calcium, phos. D3 and prEformed vitamin A....but I don't know in what balance....so I can't tell you how to balance it..and I can't tell you what is out of balance. Vitamin A and D3 are also somewhat antagonistic to each other...excess D3 may prevent the D3 from doing its job.

If this chameleon is getting worse, I hope you can get it figured out quickly.

I read the entire site you gave me. I can only hope that the vet has given me a proper diagnosis of hypervitaminosis and that of vitamin D3 (I did not make myself properly before for calcium-vet really had in mind the accumulation of calcium because of too much vitamin D, which has assumed the animal).Chameleon is 3 weeks of this diet. I do not know for how long should appear improvement, but for now there is no such. And I hope soon to be okay. Thanks for your support.

I think the pet is improving. I give him regular Reptoid. Until now, i fed him into the mouth with meat, liver and tomatoes. Yesterday I took him crickets. There is one problem can not catch them. Do not eat much, but it started to become more stable and stand upright. His eyes stood out. In my show hope that might be okay. There is a big problem, however,he did not use his back left leg. It stand slack from the branch. Engages only with the other three legs. What can it mean? Would it be okay or is completely paralyzed? Until 2 days ago used it less.

I was just watching the videos, poor guy :(. Glad to hear he's a little better. I was wondering if that is his enclosure that he's in during the videos? If so, why aren't there any live plants for him to climb on and branches placed in there? Does he only have that ladder? Are you using a dripper and misting w/ water a few times daily? Can you post pictures of him & his enclosure set up?

Well, in principle, have artificial plants and branches on which to climb, but now I have removed, because many falls and is wedged between branches. Sprayed with water 2 times a day, and separately has some water inside from which to drink and that it moisturizes the air. Will upload pictures of his cage when he was healthy.

:mad:
Again began to lose coordination. 2-3 days I see that again shows the same symptoms. I stopped to give him meat and tomatoes and apples and started to eat worms and crickets, apparently it is too early to pass a normal diet. Too bad just be glad. :(

Did you ever end up getting calcium and vitamin shots for him? One of my little panthers was also very uncoordinated and grabbed himself and fell constantly and now, two rounds of shots later, he is almost completely normal.

Its a prolapse. Its a medical emergency for a chameleon. You need to keep the pink tissue moist with K-Y jelly (do not use vaseline) or it will die...and you need to get it to a vet so that it can be treated.

A prolapse can be caused by MBD, constipation, parasites and a number of other things.

Back
Top Bottom