My chameleon cage is to cold What do I do before getting him?

Rango.tango

I haven't got my veiled chameleon yet but my cage has been to cold lately. I currently live in Canada. I have been thinking to switching into a glass cage any recommendations or something?

There's a few things you can do. Raise the temperature by upping the bulb wattage, like you mentioned many of us use a solid walls/glass and screen combo to help with heat and humidity. A cheaper solution would be to wrap three sides with plastic or something. How are you measuring the temperature? I recommend getting a digital temperature gun, they're pretty cheap on the internet.

Yup 3 sides of plastic, and possibly some heat tape at the bottom of the cage (heat rises, while bulb heat is just IR).

http://www.reptilebasics.com/heat-tape/21-heat-tape/

So if you have a reptibreeze XL, that would give you 60 watts of rising heat if you bought 2 foot of the stuff.

I would think that heat tape on the bottom of the cage would ruin the temperature gradient you are trying to create ( hotter at top cooler at bottom). plus if you have a strip of electric heat tape on the bottom of your cage where is all the excess water draining to?

I would think that heat tape on the bottom of the cage would ruin the temperature gradient you are trying to create ( hotter at top cooler at bottom). plus if you have a strip of electric heat tape on the bottom of your cage where is all the excess water draining to?

You assume OP has a misting system, and one that runs enough to require drainage.

based on my experience the solution is never, get a bigger heat lamp.

As long as OP can get cage temps into the 60's and the basking area into the 80's, they should be good.

Very few cham species require nights above 50 and days above 65 and sunny.

Panthers and vieleds do just fine with days of 65f, unheated nights, and 80-85f basking areas.

You assume OP has a misting system, and one that runs enough to require drainage.

based on my experience the solution is never, get a bigger heat lamp.

As long as OP can get cage temps into the 60's and the basking area into the 80's, they should be good.

Very few cham species require nights above 50 and days above 65 and sunny.

Panthers and vieleds do just fine with days of 65f, unheated nights, and 80-85f basking areas.

Thank you very much this did help me I will ask more if I need help feel free to reply. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom