My chameleon bit me.. but now

So my 1 year old adult male bit my finger a few nights ago. No joke, took a good amount of skin off. But I'm a little concerned. He's never been aggressive towards me and has always been friendly. When he bit me, he was falling and I tried to save him, but he reacted with biting me. So now I'm lost. He won't let me handle him or touch him. He just starts hissing and sprinting at anyone. Any tips because we're reconsidering getting a new chameleon. Help me!

He wasn't falling, he might have jumped to get away from you, they live in the forest canopy, high off the ground, wind storms...rain...you understand, my babies jump when I go to move them from nursery to juvenile viv, the cham small animal...human large predator...you should have a spot in your viv where your cham can hide to feel safe, only when you do that and leave him or her alone for a while, then can you start to build trust where your cham will not freak on you

The thing is, I wasn't near his cage. I happened to walk by. He's been clumsy in the past because I've heard a thump more than once and see him at the bottom of his cage.

Can you please fill out the help form?

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I have to agree with @Redman that he might be falling because he's got other issues. Getting another chameleon won't guarantee that you won't get another the same as this one.

Please answer the questions in the thread above...so we can see what might be going on. Be as specific as possible please...especially about the supplements and lighting and temperatures.

I agree as well. Clumsiness is not a characteristic of a healthy chameleon... Usually it mean there is an underlying issues affecting their coordination such as MBD.

As a side note veiled are known to be territorial or defensive. It's not unusual for them to come off as aggressive.

A review of your husbandry will help us help you more. Right now it's all guesses...

Back
Top Bottom