My chameleon ate flucker’s cricket quencher

Syd

Hello,

I’ve been reading this forum months ago when I was doing my research for getting my first chameleon, it’s been really helpful. Today’s the first time i’ll post though, because I’ve not seen anything like this in the internet. My baby veiled is a male, 2 months old, he’s been with me for about two weeks, in the zoomed chameleon kit, he’s been doing just fine, eating well, hydrated, basking and he’s even friendly and willingly comes to my hand. However, today was the first time he had to actually go to the very bottom of his cage to catch a cricket, and after he did, he found a piece of Fluker’s cricket quencher and he ate it like it was a fruit (not with the tongue). I don’t know if that might absorb moist from his body or if it carries too much calcium for him, maybe I should stop the calcium without D3 for a couple days? What would your advice be? Has this ever happened to anyone? Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Attachments

• 5617A953-7C3C-4930-98E5-568405B544D7.jpeg
    5617A953-7C3C-4930-98E5-568405B544D7.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 356
Welcome to the forums. I’m sorry to hear that your new baby ate a piece of the Fluker’s cricket quencher because they can be very dangerous when eaten. They swell up inside the chameleon and can kill them. I’ve seen several chameleons pass away on the forums from eating them? Do you have a chameleon vet?

Here’s the story of one of the vets chameleons that died from this.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ed-the-death-of-one-of-my-carpet-chams.84932/

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums. I’m sorry to hear that your new baby ate a piece of the Fluker’s cricket quencher because they can be very dangerous when eaten. They swell up inside the chameleon and can kill them. I’ve seen several chameleons pass away on the forums from eating them? Do you have a chameleon vet?

Here’s the story of one of the vets chameleons that died from this.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ed-the-death-of-one-of-my-carpet-chams.84932/
Thanks so much for your reply and sharing this story, I actually saw one like this before posting; I think this case was because those cubes are dehydrated and they will swell up. My quenchers are those that are “water gels” they are supposed to provide water to the crickets as well as gutloading them. Still, I’m not sure if it will do something similar to him. I know where to call in case of needing a vet, but I have never used the vet because it’s been only two healthy weeks with this guy, if you guys have any recommendations around Central Florida i’d appreciate it. I’m really scared now...

Are you keeping your crickets in his cage? You should really only put what he'll eat in one go in and keep the crickets elsewhere.
Thanks for worrying but that’s not the issue, I’m pretty aware of that, there was just one time I couldn’t take out one cricket because it was hiding, so I placed this little quencher inside so the cricket wouldn’t bother my cham, and now you know what happened to the quencher :(

I contacted two vets and told them about what happened, and they both adviced on calling Flukers to know what are the risks of this product. As I was thinking, this will not swell up inside the cham because it’s not dehydrated like the cubes, and they said there’s no danger at all. He just pooped normally, and it looks like it’s ok. I’m going to be observant and post if something happens just so the information is here for anyone that faces this same issue. Thank you very much for your useful replies, and if anyone thinks I should be more alarmed, or Fluckers is not dependable, please let me know.

Welcome to the forum! Just wanted to mention your Cham is beautiful and is at least 4mo, maybe 5mo.
Hey! Thanks! Do you think? I was told in the store he was two months, but I trust more this forum than any store tbh... I think he looks bigger in that pic tho, look at this one, I’d really like to know the best estimate of his age :)
Thanks for your comments!

Attachments

• 6C87EC2F-B2D7-4C61-961B-587DC5C81AAF.jpeg
    6C87EC2F-B2D7-4C61-961B-587DC5C81AAF.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 219
Hey! Thanks! Do you think? I was told in the store he was two months, but I trust more this forum than any store tbh... I think he looks bigger in that pic tho, look at this one, I’d really like to know the best estimate of his age :)
Thanks for your comments!
No doubt, at 3mo they are just starting to get their casques in. But after seeing this second pic he may be closer to 4mo...

Got a pic of the back side of his rear heel?

Did the seller mention why he is missing a chunk of his tail?

No doubt, at 3mo they are just starting to get their casques in. But after seeing this second pic he may be closer to 4mo...

Got a pic of the back side of his rear heel?

Did the seller mention why he is missing a chunk of his tail?
I asked about the tail, and they were honest by saying it was most likely a bite, but they weren’t sure. There were many other chameleons with perfect tails but I still wanted this one because he was really friendly, and it’s a healed chunk... it’s also a well known breeder so I think that’s ok; as to the back of his feet, I got no pics as of now but he’s got the male spurs, any other think to look at there? Again, thanks for your replies! Always willing to learn!

Back
Top Bottom