My Cham Recently Had Surgery

Hi! I have a 6-7 month old veiled chameleon, Camille, that wasn’t doing very well. We took her to the vet and found out that she had eggs, but couldn’t lay them. (We had an egg laying bin in her cage.) Yesterday, she had a surgery done to remove the eggs and spay her. She’s back home and is already walking around her cage. She is her normal green. She’s eaten a few worms since we’ve been home, but hasn’t gone back to eating like normal. When should she start eating normally again? Should we be worried that she’s not eating normally?

Here is a picture of her from today:
image.jpg

Chams won't go back to normal 1 day after surgery. And even if she doesn't eat for a week that is still ok. Your cham may just be feeling uncomfortable. (y):)

Chams won't go back to normal 1 day after surgery. And even if she doesn't eat for a week that is still ok. Your cham may just be feeling uncomfortable. (y):)

Not true. I’ve had 5 girls to have this surgery over my 15 years of keeping nd they were active the day after surgery. My vet says it’s very important that they eat and drink after surgery to keep up their hydration and protein. I’d recommend waiting a couple weeks to put her on a diet. She may lose weight anyway from having the eggs removed. She also could be a tad swollen from the surgery. Also I don’t wet their stitches after surgery. It can make them come out to quickly. I give water via a plastic syringe without o needle. Who’s your vet? Not to many US vets are successful with this surgery.

Last edited:
Not true. I’ve had 5 girls to have this surgery and they were active the day after surgery. My vet says it’s very important that they eat and drink after surgery to keep up their hydration and protein. I’d recommend waiting a couple weeks to put her on a diet. She may lose weight anyway from having the eggs removed. She also could be a tad swollen from the surgery. Also I don’t wet their stitches after surgery. It can make them come out to quickly. I give water via a plastic syringe without o needle. Who’s your vet? Not to many US vets are successful with this surgery.

Ok thank you! The vet that I took her to is called Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic

Hydration is key! I recommend heavier than normal watering in the mornings until she begins to eat again. Horn worms may stimulate her appetite and hydrate her further. Best of luck she's buff I'm sure she'll pull thru

Back
Top Bottom