My Cham keeps falling

Madasulike

Hi there all I'm a newbie here I have just purchased my first 7 week old panther Cham I have had it 3 days now and everyday a few times a day it will climb on the mesh at the very top of the cage sometimes not where the basking light actually is and it will fall straight to the bottom it hasn't actually I don't think hurt himself yet but is this a ongoing problem will it learn will it stop wot are measures I can take to stop him doing this
Thank you all I have found this priceless forum very helpful

Young chameleons climbing on the roof is common when they're new and settling in. Other than falling is he eating/drinking/ pooping ok? It may be a phase but I'd think about butting a towel at the bottom if possible to have something soft to land on.

Sorry haven't really got much advise on this on its just what I would do

7 weeks is very young. Over here (Scotland/UK) generally it's frowned upon for breeders and pet shops to sell chameleons younger than 3 months as they are so delicate.

It can take a while for chameleons so young to get used to climbing etc. What size is his cage? Sometimes it's recommended for baby chameleons to put a tall cage on it's side so that if the cham falls it's not a long way down. Try and ensure there's plenty of vines draped all around the cage to try and deter him from feeling the need to climb on the mesh, though even doing this still isn't enough at times with the little monkeys haha!

On a side note, also ensure you NEVER clip a chameleon's claws no matter how sharp they get, they need them for grip :)

Hi there all I'm a newbie here I have just purchased my first 7 week old panther Cham I have had it 3 days now and everyday a few times a day it will climb on the mesh at the very top of the cage sometimes not where the basking light actually is and it will fall straight to the bottom it hasn't actually I don't think hurt himself yet but is this a ongoing problem will it learn will it stop wot are measures I can take to stop him doing this
Thank you all I have found this priceless forum very helpful

if it keeps falling you might want to set up a net to catch him. if he falls hard enough it can hurt him and could possibly kill your cham. you could also try to put horizontal branches towards the top so he wont climb the top mesh.

7 weeks is very young. Over here (Scotland/UK) generally it's frowned upon for breeders and pet shops to sell chameleons younger than 3 months as they are so delicate.

It can take a while for chameleons so young to get used to climbing etc. What size is his cage? Sometimes it's recommended for baby chameleons to put a tall cage on it's side so that if the cham falls it's not a long way down. Try and ensure there's plenty of vines draped all around the cage to try and deter him from feeling the need to climb on the mesh, though even doing this still isn't enough at times with the little monkeys haha!

On a side note, also ensure you NEVER clip a chameleon's claws no matter how sharp they get, they need them for grip :)

Thank you mate will be observing very closely and if he keeps falling tomorrow I will put cage on its side
By the way I may be wrong about the age ???
There are plenty of things to climb on next to basking lamp
But maybe he is just settling In I hope
But he is young
The other thing is when I put my hand in when he isn't on the mesh he seems to want to run up my arm and out very fast is this also normal he seems to want to escape or maybe come to me ???
The conditions are all good too in cage

pictures would be helpful as far as estimating age. and how to temporarity fix the cage for you

Our male likes to climb on us. especially if we have food or are taking him outside.

Picture now on my avatar now I haven't seen any poo as of yet either I have had him since Saturday I keep spraying also but haven't seen him drink yet off the leaves I have seen him lick the bark wot seems to be dry when doing so
Any info helpful
He is definitely eating a lot though locusts and an occasional wax worm as a treat

If your cham is still falling alot, you may want to check your temps.
Sometimes temps can change, and if the basking spot is not warm enough, your cham will lack energy.

Back
Top Bottom